• Page

of 11 First / Last

• Fizzog 20 Dec 2008 01:36:48 4,108 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    solly2 wrote:
    ToonMonkey wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Gambling is for the weak minded and gullible.

You sound fun. Fancy a drink?

He's right though, take up crack it's probably cheaper.

Seriously though, gambling is very self destructive and completely retarded.

What's the point in chocolate? It just makes you fat!

You're argument could be used against almost anything, gambling like everything is fun and perfectly healthy in moderation.

• Fizzog 20 Dec 2008 01:45:07 4,108 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    solly2 wrote:
    Yeah, the same's probably true for crack or heroin. Doesn't stop it from being a rather dumb thing to do.

Not the best argument. Gambling is legal and well regulated, just because it's not something you understand doesn't mean that it's pointless.
  • Hunam 20 Dec 2008 01:50:42 20,674 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In my entire life I have put 3 into machines and won 5 back and spent 4 on lottery and won 10 back :)

/quits whilst ahead.
  • Syrette 20 Dec 2008 01:52:57 41,823 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    solly2 wrote:
    Yeah, the same's probably true for crack or heroin. Doesn't stop it from being a rather dumb thing to do.

What a silly, misguided, ill-educated comment to make.

Well done.

/golf clap

• Fizzog 20 Dec 2008 01:55:56 4,108 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    solly2 wrote:

Well done.

/golf clap

/goes to 'rate the last film you watched' thread

/shouts about how he hates films
  • Fizzog 20 Dec 2008 02:05:58 4,108 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    solly2 wrote:
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    solly2 wrote:

Well done.

/golf clap

Tell me what isn't true about that statement.

Everything.
  • reddevil93 20 Dec 2008 02:10:26 11,247 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Part of the reason I gamble is just for the excitement. Even a 5 accumulator makes weekend Premiership matches a lot more exciting.

Great craic watching results roll in at 5pm on a Saturday

• Syrette 20 Dec 2008 02:12:17 41,823 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Part of the reason I gamble is just for the excitement. Even a 5 accumulator makes weekend Premiership matches a lot more exciting.

Great craic watching results roll in at 5pm on a Saturday

You sir, are no better than a crackhead.

• Fizzog 20 Dec 2008 02:13:53 4,108 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    solly2 wrote:
    Instead of saying "everything", answer the question.

I thought it was pretty obvious, you were comparing gamblers to heroin addicts which is an extremely ignorant and cuntish thing to say.

Yes gamberling can be addictive but it varies hugely from player to player, some people just how addictive personalities and would probably be addicted to something else if gambling was banned.
  • reddevil93 20 Dec 2008 02:23:50 11,247 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    solly2 wrote:
    I wasn't comparing them to addicts. Just making a comparrison of the level of stupidity required to do either frequently. Both are incredibly self destructive and will ultimately leave you in the gutter.

I just hate gambling, there's no arguement with me. It's just fucking retarded.
    Not really. If you're in any way sensible you won't make much of a loss on gambling. Maybe 200 quid a year for someone casual. Less than the cost of being a smoker.

• angeltreats 20 Dec 2008 07:58:34 2,602 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When I was 17 I had a boyfriend who was addicted to fruit machines. He would get paid on a Friday from his part-time job (as he was at uni) and then go straight to an arcade or pub with fruit machines and end up losing ALL of it. He was a very intelligent bloke and knew that there was no way he was going to even break even but it was like a disease. He would have his wages in cash in his pocket and change it into pound coins, one 20 note at a time, and get more and more depressed as the night went on and he lost more money. The next day and for the rest of the week he was back to his normal cheerful mood. He never got in debt over it though. And in every other way he was a really nice bloke. He just got hooked really young. He's married with a baby now, I hope he's managed to kick the habit.

It's for the above reason that I'm really boringly anti-gambling. I would never dictate how my husband spends his money, he can buy whatever he wants, but I really do have a problem with it when he wants to go to a poker game, even when they're playing for silly money, and I know it's very unreasonable of me but I really can't help it.
  • Genji 20 Dec 2008 08:05:34 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Other people can do what they want, but I'm never going to gamble. I don't think I'd have the willpower to give it up, so I won't start. Same goes for smoking.

I do play poker from time to time. With mates. I think that's a bit different, though.
  • dufftownallan 20 Dec 2008 08:35:55 4,518 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    i stick 100 into my betting account every pay day and because im not an idiot, i almost always get that back within a couple of days leaving my "winnings" as something to play with to enjoy.

for example, got paid on tenth, stuck my ton into bet365, had one or two punts lost once but won as well, got up to 172 so i took my hundred out so this month i have broken even. after another couple of bets i have 106 in my betting account which i will use to put a spread bet on the football today and enjoy watching soccer sarurday.

as with most things, its not the gambling thats evil and should be banned, its the demons inside a person who abuses it and takes it too far.

just in case there are people in here wanting to dip their toes in i have two golden rules:
    1) never gamble what you cant afford to lose.
    2) NEVER chase after your losses. if you lose, walk away and come back another day.
  • alexc7496 20 Dec 2008 08:59:05 1,777 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I used to do a bit of online gambling football, cricket, darts, tennis the lot really.

Problem was I couldn't control myself and chased my losses way to much. I was always up and down also and took it out on my fmily. Have a good day winning and everyone is happy , lose and you're best not talking to me for a few days.

In the end after several losses and money lost I decided to give it up and I am so happy I did.
  • DaM 20 Dec 2008 09:01:15 12,606 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    dufftownallan wrote:
    i stick 100 into my betting account every pay day and because im not an idiot, i almost always get that back within a couple of days leaving my "winnings" as something to play with to enjoy.

for example, got paid on tenth, stuck my ton into bet365, had one or two punts lost once but won as well, got up to 172 so i took my hundred out so this month i have broken even. after another couple of bets i have 106 in my betting account which i will use to put a spread bet on the football today and enjoy watching soccer sarurday.

as with most things, its not the gambling thats evil and should be banned, its the demons inside a person who abuses it and takes it too far.

just in case there are people in here wanting to dip their toes in i have two golden rules:
    2) NEVER chase after your losses. if you lose, walk away and come back another day.

You should take it up professionally - you could stay at home with the curtains closed and wear a smoking jacket!

Used to dabble in the fixed odds with mixed success.
  • Dougs 20 Dec 2008 09:02:52 64,902 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    Sweeper's like a reserve martingale; instead of doubling up when you lose, you double up when you win.

Pretty much how I play it. As soon as you get a losing hand, back down to original stake.

Still a gambler, poker mainly though. Man I love that game
  • saysomething 20 Dec 2008 09:07:22 1,245 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now THIS was a gambler
  • dufftownallan 20 Dec 2008 09:17:43 4,518 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    dufftownallan wrote:

You should take it up professionally - you could stay at home with the curtains closed and wear a smoking jacket!

Used to dabble in the fixed odds with mixed success.

i would LOVE to do that! i have thought about it actually but its ultimately folly. if i had a decent amount of central capital then i could quite happily live off what i get. for example, get ten grand and put on ultra safe bets like man yoo at home to wigan or some of the rediculously mismatched yank sports. put ten grand on a 1/4 for example and youd get 2500 back which is much more than i earn in a month. of course, the trouble is that nothing is ever guaranteed in sport so you would always end up losing your ten grand.

i can dream...

anyway, some idiot down in glasgow has offered me a job so im fine :op
  • Dougs 20 Dec 2008 09:19:55 64,902 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    dufftownallan wrote:
    i would LOVE to do that! i have thought about it actually but its ultimately folly. if i had a decent amount of central capital then i could quite happily live off what i get. for example, get ten grand and put on ultra safe bets like man yoo at home to wigan or some of the rediculously mismatched yank sports. put ten grand on a 1/4 for example and youd get 2500 back which is much more than i earn in a month. of course, the trouble is that nothing is ever guaranteed in sport so you would always end up losing your ten grand.

i can dream...

anyway, some idiot down in glasgow has offered me a job so im fine :op

I know someone that has donje something similar. It ended in tears. I'd love to be good enough, and have the bankroll to play poker full time. Not sure I'd have the patience or stamina for it though
  • dufftownallan 20 Dec 2008 09:22:33 4,518 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    saysomething wrote:
    Now THIS was a gambler
    good man!
    im not sure i could do that tho, i had a big win once of 2700 from a hundred pound bet, i paid off credit cards and my computer and used the rest in my move from derby to inverness. im sure if i ever found myself winning a million quid i would stick it in a bank and never gamble again!
  • ilmaestro 20 Dec 2008 19:47:07 32,299 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Gambling is for the weak minded and gullible.
    You seem to have mistaken "gambling" for "Nintendo".

• ilmaestro 20 Dec 2008 19:48:39 32,299 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    dufftownallan wrote:
    I've worked in the sports betting industry in one form or another for my whole working life... we love people like this. ^_^

• Dougs 20 Dec 2008 19:48:45 64,902 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Trust a bookie to have an opinion. :)
  • ilmaestro 20 Dec 2008 19:51:54 32,299 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    :p

• dufftownallan 20 Dec 2008 21:38:48 4,518 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    dufftownallan wrote:
    I've worked in the sports betting industry in one form or another for my whole working life... we love people like this. ^_^
    in what way...?
    are you eyeing up my wallet?
  • Page

of 11 First / Last