Sky Broadband - worth it? Page 2

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• DodgyPast 6 Oct 2008 18:20:51 8,475 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    It's certainly better than it used to be in terms of the fair use policy, which they removed last month. It's now the only genuinely 100% unlimited service around afaik.

Officially you have to use the Sky provided router. There are ways around it, but you do against the ts and cs of your contract if you do.

I'm well impressed with Sky BB fwiw.
    Be has always offered completely unlimited services.

They have an 8mb value package which would be roughly comparable in the sense that their customer service is pretty decent whereas getting answers out of sky is a mission in futility.

I'm a pretty long way from the exchange and get a solid 9mb on the 20mb package.
  • kalel 6 Oct 2008 18:24:33 87,753 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Be do have a fair use policy, but you're right, I think it's pretty hard to fall foul of it unlike say Virgin's, and for all intents and puposes it is totally unlimited.

Sky are currently the only one to literally have no fair use policy whatsoever though. That's a fact.
  • Restart 6 Oct 2008 18:39:29 4,726 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've recently switched to Sky Broadband after being with BT since the Internet first became available.

I've not had a single problem with it (other than the wireless router being ugly compared to the BT Homehub!) & the download & upload speeds I get with Sky are much faster, & more consistent. So I'd certainly recommend it.
  • corimi 6 Oct 2008 18:41:42 1,311 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    It's certainly better than it used to be in terms of the fair use policy, which they removed last month. It's now the only genuinely 100% unlimited service around afaik.

Officially you have to use the Sky provided router. There are ways around it, but you do against the ts and cs of your contract if you do.

What sort of router do they provide? More specifically does it have 4+ ethernet ports and wifi?

/remembers Tiscali USB modem...ugh
  • kalel 6 Oct 2008 18:43:03 87,753 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's a Netgear wireless router branded to look like a Sky box. It does have 4 ethernets yes.

It's ok. The range isn't brilliant but it's not awful. Would be fine for most people.
  • corimi 6 Oct 2008 18:45:13 1,311 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    It's a Netgear wireless router branded to look like a Sky box. It does have 4 ethernets yes.

It's ok. The range isn't brilliant but it's not awful. Would be fine for most people.

Nice, thanks. It's pretty tempting at £10/month
  • binky Moderator 6 Oct 2008 21:07:19 9,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks for all the replies guys, sounds like I'm going to be phoning up and switching over tomorrow. For those that have switched providers recently, how long was your down time?

/shudders
  • Restart 6 Oct 2008 21:11:55 4,726 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Didn't have any downtime. On the switch over day I just swapped the Sky router over from my BT Homehub, booted up my PC, & it worked straight away, didn't even need to install drivers.
  • binky Moderator 6 Oct 2008 23:19:10 9,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sold.
  • DodgyPast 6 Oct 2008 23:28:02 8,475 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Be do have a fair use policy, but you're right, I think it's pretty hard to fall foul of it unlike say Virgin's, and for all intents and puposes it is totally unlimited.

Sky are currently the only one to literally have no fair use policy whatsoever though. That's a fact.
    Didn't realise that.

How do you run afoul of it?
  • kalel 6 Oct 2008 23:43:56 87,753 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Didn't realise that.

How do you run afoul of it?

No idea, I just read reviews that rated it very highly because of this.

binky - you'll need to get your MAC number from your current ISP and that can take a couple of weeks. If you order Sky from scratch, again, it takes a couple of weeks to get set up. I've just been through this all myself.
  • MrSpew 7 Oct 2008 00:31:33 970 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:

As far as terms go, they are, but if you ignore the terms and conditions and compare services, Be certainly fulfill that.
    kalel wrote:

Having torrented and newsgroupped hundreds of gigs for months, Be have said and done nothing, for which I'm more than happy!
  • Ryze 7 Oct 2008 01:44:17 3,124 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I think Sky broadband is BT broadband. Think they’re the same service. Could be wrong.

They're LLU - Sky bought Easynet who supply UK Online.

I'd expect the service to be similar to them.
  • binky Moderator 7 Oct 2008 10:07:39 9,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cheers Kalel. Was you without service for a while? I can't imagine the horror!

Will ask for MAC address today, then call sky when I have it.
  • pistol 7 Oct 2008 10:26:06 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    binky wrote:
    Hey guys.
    Just been looking at the Sky BB deals, and the MAX service if you already have sky (i do) is £10 a month for unlimited usage and upto 16mb line.

I currently pay over £25 for BT Yahoo at 8mb.

Anyone know if the SKY service is better than it used to be? A saving of £16 a month can't be ignored if the service is pretty much the same?

Also, router wise, do you know if you can use the homehub with SKY? Or is that tied to BT?
    cheers

I love the "up to 16MB" comment. More likely something like 4MB if you're lucky. The sooner all ISP's have to say the real speed the better. I know one or two have stopped saying "up to".
  • gamingdave 7 Oct 2008 10:29:41 4,237 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As I said earlier, I got Sky last week, TV and the 16Mb package. I get speed test results of 13Mb. They simply cant tell you the speed you will get, as it depends on how far from the exchange you are. Also, you wont find many servers distributing at that rate, and so faster internet for the average user wont make most sites load any quicker.

be have just started advertising as "above 8Mb" saying you will, well, get more than 8Mb but how fast isnt promised.
  • pistol 7 Oct 2008 10:37:15 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    As I said earlier, I got Sky last week, TV and the 16Mb package. I get speed test results of 13Mb. They simply cant tell you the speed you will get, as it depends on how far from the exchange you are. Also, you wont find many servers distributing at that rate, and so faster internet for the average user wont make most sites load any quicker.

be have just started advertising as "above 8Mb" saying you will, well, get more than 8Mb but how fast isnt promised.

Oh I know they can't say the exact speeds but saying up to 16MB is usually very misleading. If you're getting speed tests of 13mb you're one of the lucky ones.
  • gamingdave 7 Oct 2008 10:38:38 4,237 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well I do agree, if they are saying 16Mb and you get less than 10 I would be anoyed.
  • binky Moderator 7 Oct 2008 10:41:12 9,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So I currently get a solid 8mb out of the BT one, and I'm quite close to the exchange (within a 1.5 miles). I'm happy with 8mb so am now thinking it might be worth going with the £5 a month package rather than the £10..
  • binky Moderator 10 Dec 2008 08:45:48 9,643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Looks like the cost of Sky broadband is rising by a fiver in March. I blame me for getting it, sorry guys :)

Its annoying, because I was about to order the FREE* service for the in-laws as a xmas present, a way of them having interweb without a monthly fee (just a one off that we could pay for). Looks like thats out the window now unless anyone knows of any other one off payment internety places?
  • D_arkTrooper 10 Dec 2008 11:45:59 1,318 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah pretty shocking really hiking the monthly fee by 50% (based on the full package).I currently have the full £10 a month package and fortunately,Sky have told me that as I'm a long term customer the price rise won't effect me until January 2010.More than likely there will be yet another rise in the Sky tv subscription as well sometime next year so I'm seriously considering ditching Sky completely (personally think Sky tv is shit now).

I do admit though that there broadband service has been superb so far.

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• BTBAM 10 Dec 2008 11:53:25 1,565 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm with Be and I've had no problems. Sky on the other hand, sent my dad letters telling him he couldn't cancel his Sky TV while he had Sky broadband, which he didn't have. He moved countries in the end (not because of Sky, I hasten to add), but even then he still got threatening letters. Not once did we manage to have a meaningful conversation with them, and it didn't stop until I sent their lawyers a letter detailing how what they were doing was outside of procedural proprietary and that made them in breach of their contract and liable for negligence regarding the unauthorised debit charge they'd taken.

They cancelled all services, and then a month later we got letters inviting us to come back to Sky.

I'll never get a Sky service, and find BeUnlimited to have a helpful (as far helplines go) phone service, and they never complain about my download usage. I pay £18 a month for 24mb internet (real speed about 7 mb but I am through a phoneline and using wireless) and the service has gone down maybe once in a year and a half, for about 30 seconds. I get great speeds for downloads and Xbox live too, so I would echo the recomendations from people about them to anyone considering a change.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 10 Dec 2008 12:58:08 38,265 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    binky wrote:
    Looks like the cost of Sky broadband is rising by a fiver in March. I blame me for getting it, sorry guys :)

It's cool, they sent me a letter to say they're suspending the price I pay until 2010 since I was an early adopter :-D

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Gibroon 10 Dec 2008 13:15:13 1,325 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just got my Sky broadband online yesterday and so far it seems decent enough. They recommended the £5 a month 8MB package because I can't get faster than 5MB at my new address.
    I've a 40GB download limit but I doubt I'll reach that unless there are a large amount of demos to download.

It seems just as fast as the £25 a month I was paying at Pipex.

Loving SKY HD as well.
  • Dougs 10 Dec 2008 13:16:50 67,802 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds like they're edging closer to buying Tiscali too. Taking over the world, the basts!
  • Grunk 10 Dec 2008 13:31:15 4,718 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just had a look at the website, and the £5 rate hike only effects people who don't have sky talk.

But it doesn't explicitly say that there is no rise for the people who do have sky talk. I would consider switching anyway since they now do line rental cheaper than BT. So may as well give the BT nazis the heave ho.
  • BTBAM 10 Dec 2008 20:42:38 1,565 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    First serious Be problems tonight. On a patchy connection that won't work on one my PC's, and only just on this laptop. That'll teach me for praising an internet service provider.
  • wobbler147 27 Oct 2009 11:25:37 5,139 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Has anyone that has migrated to Sky broadband taken the line rental deal too? I'm just about to switch but need to know if I need to inform BT that I'm moving my line rental over to Sky or will Sky handle the switch?
  • shamblemonkee 27 Oct 2009 11:49:35 14,395 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sky handle it, its hassle free
  • FooAtari 27 Oct 2009 12:51:04 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    wobbler147 wrote:
    Has anyone that has migrated to Sky broadband taken the line rental deal too? I'm just about to switch but need to know if I need to inform BT that I'm moving my line rental over to Sky or will Sky handle the switch?

I migrated my line rental to Sky, they handled it all. I have been tempted to move my ADSL as well as my exchange is unbundled. But read very mixed reviews. Although the bad reviews seem to be for their traditional 2 and 8mb broadband. Not Broadband Max.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last