Sky Broadband - worth it? Page 9

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Rhythm 13 Apr 2012 14:03:30 2,463 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:

Did they contact you about it?
    No, I saw it mentioned on another forum and decided to take a look. Having looked into it further it seems they're definitely piggy-backing on the BT "Fibre to cabinet" scheme, so if BT say you can have Infinity then you can probably have Sky Fibre

40mb down, 2mb up is the opening "offer" by Sky but they reckon they'll start shifting people up to 80mb/10mb when they build up a bit of a fibre base
  • binky Moderator 28 May 2012 15:58:11 9,436 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    One thing that is very annoying with Sky, is the fact that you HAVE to use their equipment.
    I'm pretty sure my router is on the blink and have noticed that Sky have changed their product recently. Of course, I don't get a free upgrade for being a loyal servent.

Thing is, my old one is crapping out and because the router is locked to the service I have no choice but to pay them for a new one to use the service that without it, I can't use :-/

Boo to that I say!
  • TheSaint 28 May 2012 16:05:14 14,199 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sky sent me a new router for free a few months back when I was having problems. Worth giving them a call.
  • glaeken 28 May 2012 16:08:53 11,094 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah just give them a call and threaten to switch to someone else and they will probably send you a new router.

I actually just switched to Sky and so far I am fairly impressed. I am getting 9Mb download/1Mb upload where with BT I was getting about 6Mb download/512k upload.
  • binky Moderator 28 May 2012 16:10:40 9,436 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Did give them a call and they fobbed me off with having to buy one. I will try and get someone else on the phone tomorrow.

Normally wouldn't mind buying a new router if the old one was struggling (it's 3-4 years old I think) but it's the fact that you can't choose one and use it that annoys me. The broadband itself is fine, but wifi is dropping and signal isn't very strong.
  • Trane 28 May 2012 16:14:06 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's poor from them. They shipped a new router (FOC) to my grandfather and a week later when it hadn't arrived, he phoned them up to chase it, they apologised and issued a new one again.

2 days later 2 brand new routers showed up :D

This was a week or two ago, cos I installed it for him at the weekend, his sky router had basically just died, I checked everything else before installing the new one.
  • glaeken 28 May 2012 16:22:24 11,094 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You might have to go as far as to start switching to a new provider before they step up to their next level of customer service. I am sure if they really think you are going to switch you will get a free router.

In my experiance with Sky they have all sorts of levels of deals and freeby's they will offer you once they know you are serious about leaving them.
  • billythekid 28 May 2012 16:27:08 11,023 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tell them that you want your MAC code (Migration Access Code).
    They'll realise that you're serious about leaving then.
  • Buztafen 28 May 2012 16:29:52 16,064 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And tell the assistant he smells of elderberries too. That'll learn em.
  • billythekid 28 May 2012 16:30:52 11,023 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah and his mother was a snowblower!
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 28 May 2012 16:31:58 37,337 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got a new router from them last year when my previous one broke. No arguments or anything.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• whatthefu 24 Jan 2013 13:10:47 853 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just signed up for Sky Fibre, wasn't asked for MAC code, logged into MySky and it says they need my MAC code but there is nowhere for me to enter it.
    Rang them up twice and just sat on hold til I lost patience.

It's really stupid you can't enter it online.
    How long does it take to get through to sky on phone about your order??
  • ILoveThrashMetal 24 Jan 2013 13:34:46 658 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    whatthefu wrote:
    Just signed up for Sky Fibre, wasn't asked for MAC code, logged into MySky and it says they need my MAC code but there is nowhere for me to enter it.

Strange, I entered mine online. Most of the time they transfer it over from your old isp to sky automatically. But I was with BE and had to get the mac code myself.
    In hindsight I wouldn't touch sky with a fucking barge pole. Fine until something goes wrong.

Arsechickens

• crashVoodoo 24 Jan 2013 17:30:49 3,853 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ILoveThrashMetal wrote:
    whatthefu wrote:

Strange, I entered mine online. Most of the time they transfer it over from your old isp to sky automatically. But I was with BE and had to get the mac code myself.
    In hindsight I wouldn't touch sky with a fucking barge pole. Fine until something goes wrong.
    Nearly 4 years and not a single problem internet wise unless

/wood touching

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• FanBoysSuck 24 Jan 2013 18:09:47 1,448 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've been happy with them for about a year (getting 16mb on a 20mb line) with zero throttling but the last few months the main connection keeps dropping randomly. Initially they said it was a router issue so I ponied up for a sky hub while they were going for £40 as it was apparently out of warranty. Low and behold the problem's still happening and customer service is a fucking nightmare.

I'll echo what a few others have said, great until it goes wrong.

For the emperor!

• rudedudejude 24 Jan 2013 18:31:19 2,152 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    whatthefu wrote:

Just dial the new account/New customer application number and the hold queues are usually low. They might deal with your issue or transfer you directly. Seems to work with my bank and mobile guys anyway.
  • grep 24 Jan 2013 19:58:50 50 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quick SKY fibre tip when I 1st had it installed it was very slow but I changed the router channel and now is very quick.
  • Tryhard 1 Mar 2013 17:13:54 3,673 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    O2 just emailed me to say that they have sold their broadband to Sky.I love my little O2 connection.
  • TarickStonefire 1 Mar 2013 18:53:48 2,897 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah I saw that in the papers today. So does that mean all O2/Be customers will now become Sky customers and have to get Sky contracts and boxes etc? Or will they get to just keep everything they currently have with O2 and be absorbed in to Sky's customer database?

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Dougs 1 Mar 2013 19:15:54 66,655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The former I suspect - Sky keep their routers locked down.
  • ecureuil 1 Mar 2013 20:14:33 76,495 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can you get in trouble for piracy with Sky? Best thing about Be was that they turned a blind eye to it. Not that I completely support piracy but I still download the odd film from the pirate bay.
  • ILoveThrashMetal 1 Mar 2013 20:59:13 658 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Can you get in trouble for piracy with Sky? Best thing about Be was that they turned a blind eye to it. Not that I completely support piracy but I still download the odd film from the pirate bay.
    C&p from sky.
    Our approach to protecting copyright

We have invested billions of pounds in high-quality entertainment for our customers because we know how much our customers value it. It’s therefore important that companies like ours do what they can, alongside the Government and the rest of the media and technology industries, to help protect their copyright. Such protection makes sure that consumers continue to benefit from TV programmes, movies and music both now and in the future. This means taking effective action against online piracy and copyright infringement.

Increasingly content owners are turning to the courts to present evidence of copyright infringement by websites that offer content illegally to users. When they do so, and the court agrees that copyright infringement has occurred, the content owners can seek a court order which compels the internet service providers (ISPs) to block access to those sites over their broadband networks.

To date Sky has received court orders to block the following website that was found to have breached copyright laws:

The Pirate Bay, which Sky blocked on 30 May 2012

Arsechickens

• ecureuil 1 Mar 2013 22:39:29 76,495 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers. So from that I gather they don't send letters out (three strikes or whatever)?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 1 Mar 2013 22:43:36 37,337 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nah, I torrent away quite happily.

• Tryhard 2 Mar 2013 10:30:46 3,673 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Yeah I saw that in the papers today. So does that mean all O2/Be customers will now become Sky customers and have to get Sky contracts and boxes etc? Or will they get to just keep everything they currently have with O2 and be absorbed in to Sky's customer database?
    The email I received said that I will keep my O2 email account and router.Everything else will be up to Sky.So everything will probably stay the same I'll just pay more for it.

Our street is hooked up to Virgin fibre optic,but I refuse to give into to those throttling bastards who send me junk mail each week.
  • Rens11 3 Mar 2013 03:11:45 1,385 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sky are scum cancelled my contract with them (tv phone and broadband) as barely watched the tv channels and needed to save some money so switched to Tesco broadband. Sky carried on charging me for the broadband and phone when I phoned up to complain and ask why I would choose to switch broadband provider to save money but cancel tv and keep the broadband with them aswell they had no answer. Asked to speak to a manager 4 times but was told they would tell me the same or that they were busy and won't refund the charges. Asked about recorded calls as it would prove I asked to cancel the whole lot but was told they didn't have it and was promised a call back by a manager that never happened. Thieving cunts! Got the money back in the end though from Barclays

Donít kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, heíd eat you and everyone you care about!

• Nazo 3 Mar 2013 10:25:28 336 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bloody Sky, buying up Be :(

Who else is decent?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 3 Mar 2013 10:32:41 37,337 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sky are decent.

• crashVoodoo 3 Mar 2013 17:23:03 3,853 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Sky are decent.
    Its hit and miss. I have had no problems with them bit know others that have.† I'd still recommend them though due to the service I've had.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• daddygerplex 3 Mar 2013 20:10:56 305 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Never had a problem with my Sky internet and have started a twitch.tv streaming channel. Problem is my upload is nowhere near good enough to maintain something that doesnt look like ass.

So probably going Sky Fibre. Does it deliver the speeds promised? Its £20 a month more but its like 5x the download and 10x the upload lol.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last