Eels (the band) what, no EG love ?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • TwistidChimp 28 Nov 2007 00:59:22 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Quite shockingly I cant find a single damn Eels thread on the whole sodding forum.

Have just watched a rather marvelous documentary called Parallel Worlds, Parallel Lives, in which Eels front man Mark Oliver Everett attempted to find out more about the father he barely knew, the famous Quantumn mechanics physicist and 'parallel universe theory' founder Hugh Everett. Was lovely, suprisingly depressing and touching stuff and just reminded me of what an awesome band Eels are.

So, any other fans aboot ?
  • Timmy 28 Nov 2007 01:00:55 9,031 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nope.
  • ecu 28 Nov 2007 01:02:51 77,231 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bollocks, that was on tonight?? I read about that the other day, and really wanted to see it.
  • TwistidChimp 28 Nov 2007 01:05:26 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Bollocks, that was on tonight?? I read about that the other day, and really wanted to see it.

Was on last night i'm afraid. Hopefully it'll get repeated.
  • TwistidChimp 28 Nov 2007 01:09:51 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:

You're in luck, BBC Four, Mon 3 Dec, 00:00-01:00 60mins, set your video / pvr / sky+ :)
  • gang_of_bitches 28 Nov 2007 10:50:13 5,643 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TwistidChimp wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:

You're in luck, BBC Four, Mon 3 Dec, 00:00-01:00 60mins, set your video / pvr / sky+ :)

Thanks for the info, I really wanted to see it too, but Monday is Pub Quiz night and I won't sacrifice that even for for E action.
  • PES_Fanboy 28 Nov 2007 10:54:11 18,393 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I liked their famous album. I always thought however, they precariously balanced on the cusp of disappearing up their own anus.
  • Killerbee 28 Nov 2007 11:08:51 5,016 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have Eels' first two albums - they did do some good stuff back in the 90s, but I haven't heard anything from them in years.
  • Madder-Max 28 Nov 2007 11:10:00 11,679 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    who? what? where am i?

99 problems and being ginger is one

• gang_of_bitches 28 Nov 2007 11:15:42 5,643 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    I liked their famous album. I always thought however, they precariously balanced on the cusp of disappearing up their own anus.

I assume that's Beautiful Freak (has Novocaine for the Soul). My personal favourite is Souljacker, its just so different to pretty much any other album I know; varied, dark, funny, intelligent and just generally good.

PES's accusations of arse-head intereface have a tiny bit of substance to it, but not much and I think its worth letting it slide in order to experience some great music, which first and foremost is what the Eels are about.
  • PES_Fanboy 28 Nov 2007 11:19:14 18,393 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I did say they were on the cusp, I don't think they ever actually went in there.

Going over to Susan's house
    dum de de dum dum dum
    /keyboards
  • lost_soul 28 Nov 2007 11:22:00 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I remember seeing them on the Beautiful Freak tour when they seemed to just want to annoy the crowd as much as possible (mostly by doing somewhat odd interpretations of the popular songs on the album).

Then I went to see them again on the Souljacker tour and they were fantastic. They even had a mime artist instead of a support band and got away with it.

Have to agree with g_o_b on Souljacker; it's a wonderful album.

Now I'm going to have to listen to it again.
  • craigy Staff 28 Nov 2007 11:22:01 7,774 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Eels up inside ya, finding an entrance where they can.
  • gang_of_bitches 28 Nov 2007 11:25:47 5,643 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    lost_soul wrote:
    I remember seeing them on the Beautiful Freak tour when they seemed to just want to annoy the crowd as much as possible (mostly by doing somewhat odd interpretations of the popular songs on the album).

Then I went to see them again on the Souljacker tour and they were fantastic. They even had a mime artist instead of a support band and got away with it.

Have to agree with g_o_b on Souljacker; it's a wonderful album.

Now I'm going to have to listen to it again.

they did a bit of the annoying interpretations thing on whatever the last tour was, blinking lights was it? kind of irritating, I don't mind a re-arrangement but completely changing the tune is a bit bollocks.

The beefcake quasi-soldier boy dancer was hilarious though.
  • DaM 28 Nov 2007 11:25:48 13,440 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Was just listening to Souljacker the other day.

Last album was critically acclaimed but a bit patchy I think.

Saw them live in Glasgow a few years ago, quite soon after 9/11. They were all wearing full kilt outfits, must have been absolutely sweltering.
  • Fonzie 28 Nov 2007 11:30:45 1,872 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Eels up inside ya, finding an entrance where they can.

Crawling through your body, through your mind, through your anus.

Eels.

Eels.

Back on subject, I have Beautiful Freak and Electro-Shock Blues. Both are fantastic albums.
  • Beardedmonkey 28 Nov 2007 11:40:18 83 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Great band. I remember the first time I heard them on Mark Radcliffe's late night Radio 1 show. He played 'Novocaine For The Soul'. I actually got out of bed to write the title down so I'd remember to track it down!

I seem to remember them playing 'Novocaine' on some TV show (TOTP?) with tiny instruments! Great stuff..

'Electro-Shock Blues' is probably my favourite album...
  • TakeTheVeil 28 Nov 2007 11:42:52 5,058 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cunts are charging 40 for a ticket to see them in Dublin..
  • PES_Fanboy 28 Nov 2007 11:43:54 18,393 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Beardedmonkey wrote:
    I seem to remember them playing 'Novocaine' on some TV show (TOTP?) with tiny instruments! Great stuff..

Yeah, TOTP as I recall it. I think they did a Fisher Price / Who inspired smash-up of their 'instruments' afterwards...
  • gang_of_bitches 28 Nov 2007 11:44:58 5,643 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Beardedmonkey wrote:
    Great band. I remember the first time I heard them on Mark Radcliffe's late night Radio 1 show. He played 'Novocaine For The Soul'. I actually got out of bed to write the title down so I'd remember to track it down!

'Electro-Shock Blues' is probably my favourite album...

That Mark Radcliffe late show was great, introduced me to so much good music, and I too used to scribble stuff down for fear of forgetting it in the morning. To be honest I preferred it to the Peel show, I wasn't cool enough for that.
  • Deleted user 30 January 2008 00:39:14
    This band or more accurately E himself are/is fucking awesome.

Has anyone yet read "Things The Grandchildren Should Know" a curious book about E's life and the tragedies that have affected him over the years.

Puts a new dimension to his lyrics.

and in response to a poster above he does that a live show should not nessecarily reflect how it is heard on the album hence each tour is completely different.

And as you are referring to I assume the With Strings tour some of things played although different to originals are in some ways a lot better.

• PinkSpider 12 Jun 2008 19:00:24 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Eels are the best band ever.

Infact E and the Eels have completely got me back into music, starting my CD collection again I am instead of just downloading stuff.

Also; the book is excellent. Being reading it on the way to work. A little sad and I've been on the verge of almost shedding a tear. But it's an excellent read if you want to read about someone's odd lift and if you love the Eels.
  • Deleted user 12 June 2008 19:03:20
    They had one depressing album, where it was written following the suicide of his sister, and the death of his mum from cancer.

They write emotional songs from the heart.

here
  • speedofthepuma 12 Jun 2008 19:03:37 13,310 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aspic wrote:
    Aren't they they really fucking terribly depressing ones? (to use a technical term)

Yes. But very good.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• asha 12 Jun 2008 19:09:45 1,991 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They're shit.

/runs

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Deleted user 12 June 2008 19:11:46
    Says someone who is named after a one hit wonder.
  • PinkSpider 12 Jun 2008 19:14:08 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I love the depressing songs.

I also love how it's all a bit different but still with the same level of excellent.

And the way the live stuff is different from the normal stuff.

It's all very interesting.
  • Deleted user 12 June 2008 19:14:58
    No matter what your mood they always have a song to suit.
  • asha 12 Jun 2008 19:15:03 1,991 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm not actually named after that song. My names a sort of anagram of my name, the 'a' comes from my first name and the 'sha' from my second name.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Deleted user 12 June 2008 19:16:40
    It is ok you don't have to explain. We all know your love child of Cornershop and Norman Cook.

;)
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous