PS3 set-up advice

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • blindlemonjefferson 24 Nov 2007 17:54:03 162 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok guys and girls, here's a chance for YOU to be generous with that wealth of tech-knowledge, that knowledge I know this forum hive-mind to collectively possess. If I could get a bit of advice now, well, I'll be _eternally_ grateful to this fine site. I think the answers to what I'm going to ask could be elsewhere on the forum, but I haven't been able to find them - or, at least, I haven't been able to remain unconfused while looking for them.

The situation is this: I am not a console gamer, not since the beginning of the PS2 years really - I'm quite out of the loop. Now, my mum phoned me earlier because she's bought my younger brothers a PS3 for X-mas. What neither of us know, and what she asked me to try and find out, is...

You're in a house with a PS3 but no Hi-Def television. You got a (satisfyingly large, if that is any consolation) Standard-Def, or a spare PC monitor for those occasions when the interests of the game-player brothers and the game-hating older sister clash, and all want to use the living-room for their own different preferred modes of recreation simultaneously. Now, exactly how much of the potential graphical splendour of PS3 games are lost on S.D. TVs and PC monitors?

Next, in all probability regardless of the answer to the previous question, as we should probably assume that buying a HD-TV is a financial impossibility in this house: is there anything you can do, by buying, say, a particular kind of cable that isn't normally supplied with the console, to improve the display on a SD-TV or a PC monitor?

That was a bloody long-winded, simple question!

Here's a sub-topic: what are the best games that will be available, (besides Ratchet & Clank and Assassin's Creed), for presents? Fanx in advance
  • Moonprince 24 Nov 2007 18:06:40 313 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got this a couple of months back from pcworld (the shame...)
    Off the top of my head it cost £120 or there abouts. Don't really know the difference between component and hdmi but I run the ps3 and 360 on component and everything looks ace...

Perhaps someone else can outline the differences but yeah, I reckon that monitors great...

http://www.slipperybrick.com/2007/06/lg-flatron-m228wa/
  • heyyo 24 Nov 2007 18:06:48 14,374 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    /looks around

You'll have to do with thick old me for the time being. Get a component cable (I don't know if it's in the PS3 box) for the SDTV, and obviously a VGA cable for the PC monitor (assuming it has a VGA input)

You won't lose any picture quality on the PC monitor if it is capable of displaying 1280x720 or higher, 1280x1024 for example, as this will be in HD.

Oh hi Moonprince. ;)
  • grainflavour 24 Nov 2007 18:08:08 142 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hi, all you need is a RGB Scart cable for an excellent picture on a sd television. They can be bought for under a tenner at Game, Asda etc The graphical splendour still looks amazing just not the the pinnacle! Pc moniter needs more faffing to get the best from so hopefully someone else can help you out there!

Games wise can't go wrong with Motorstorm and Virtua Fighter 5.
  • allen 24 Nov 2007 18:13:38 657 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    heyyo! wrote:
    /looks around

You'll have to do with thick old me for the time being. Get a component cable (I don't know if it's in the PS3 box) for the SDTV, and obviously a VGA cable for the PC monitor (assuming it has a VGA input)

You won't lose any picture quality on the PC monitor if it is capable of displaying 1280x720 or higher, 1280x1024 for example, as this will be in HD.

Oh hi Moonprince. ;)
    the pc monitor needs to support htcp. Only new ~1yr monitors do so its probably not your best choice. Buy some chloroform and give it to the little wench when she trys to get in the way of some gaming on the telly.

(by time u get that box from pcworld you could have got a 32" hdtv for £160 extra)
  • el_pollo_diablo 24 Nov 2007 18:34:58 2,027 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I remember someone telling me that using the three coloured scart cable and connector from a ps2 looks better than the one you get in the ps3 box.

This is what I've done - and as you have a ps2 already it'll be a free solution.

Still, ps3 on SD looks a bit blurry, and the text is *annoyingly* small and hard to read.
  • Sid-Nice 24 Nov 2007 18:35:49 15,810 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Firstly check if the SDTV has a component connection. I used a 42" Toshiba rear projection TV with component in when I first bought an Xbox 360 and the games looked great in 480p. I picked up a PS3 component cable for £17 when my HDMI switch box decided to die on me; the PS3 through component connection does looks good but the picture isnít quite as sharp as through the HDMI lead.

NNID Sid-Nice

• blindlemonjefferson 26 Nov 2007 17:56:40 162 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers for the advice guys - I'll pass it up the chain of command. And now you've probably all done that little bit extra to help ensure a merry X-mas for the kids - well met!
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next