#8342188, By terminalterror Rate the last film you watched out of 100

• terminalterror 17 Jan 2012 14:50:07 18,937 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Monsieur_Blade wrote:
    Blakester wrote:
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Finding it difficult to rate this film.

There is so much to admire in terms of the performances, atmosphere and wonderful recreation of the period. Gary Oldman gives a fantastically understated performance and is very well supported by Tom Hardy and Benedict Cumberbatch.

The problem is that while I can admire the artistry that went into it, I don't think I can honestly say I enjoyed it. Maybe it's the pace or the confusing narrative but I have no desire to watch it again which is surprising given the wealth of talent on display.
    I couldn't have put it better myself Blakester. The acting is top notch, the cinematography and atmosphere is superb and the story is very clever (and confusing) but I couldn't actually say I 'enjoyed' watching it.

I found it very hard work and have no desire at all to watch it again.

It's not that I don't like clever or complicated films either cos I watched and enjoyed Inception and then immediately watched it again a couple of days later and enjoyed it even more! Tinker just left me feeling a bit cold though.
    I really enjoyed TTSS, but I can totally see where you guys are coming from.

Iron Lady had a similar issue (great acting in less great film), in that the central performance is very good indeed (Streep quickly becomes totally invisible), but the actual story is a total mess of contextless flashbacks and a very dull modern day framing mechanic. Iron Lady suffered far more than TTSS because it doesn't have the wealth of great performances and the film is such a massively wasted opportunity (love her or hate her, Maggie is a fascinating character).