#10228322, By TechnoHippy Rate the last film you watched out of 100

• TechnoHippy 23 Mar 2014 15:42:26 14,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Captain Phillips

I can sort of see why this film has received so many good reviews, but I have to say that I'm not in agreement. The components are there, it's an interesting story about the first US cargo ship to be hijacked in 200 years. Tom Hanks does his usual solid job as the captain and the rest of the cast also do a fine job with their roles.

The pacing is a little off and I think that was the first problem for me. It takes a while to get going with the build up the ship going to sea and the Somali pirates doing the same. Naturally once things get going it gets a bit more interesting, the various tricks the ship tries to evade the pirates was fascinating.

For me the other big issue was the Hollywood trait to telegraph everything, for a few moments in the film that should have been tense scenes the feeling was lost because it had to be shown in an obvious manner with music telegraphing everything.

That's not to say it's a bad film, far from it. It is a decent watch, but nothing special. I recently watched A Hijacking and that was a much better film covering a similar topic.

6/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog