#7177977, By jaxon58 Boardgames anyone?

• jaxon58 1 Mar 2011 00:01:03 2,420 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been lurking on this thread for a while now and thanks to you guys, I've got back into boardgames after a very long hiatus. I think that by playing video games so much, my mind had lost the ability to use my imagination and boardgames have brought that back big time.

Over the last couple of months I've splashed out on -

Munchkin
    Tongue in cheek card game based on fantasy dungeon crawling. It's a very light hearted game that's worth the money but is nothing special.

Forbidden Island
    Pretty good co-op game where you and your team have to capture treasures from a sinking island and escape. There doesn't seem to be a lot of strategy in this one, but it's a fast paced game that's quick to setup and play.

D&D: Castle Ravenloft
    As someone who loves co-op games and used to do the whole D&D 'thing' in my youth, I expected a lot from this game, but man does it disappoint. To be fair, I've only played it three times, but it suffers from a lack of strategy and is extremely punishing to the players. Having read the forums on BGG to see if I was missing something, it does seem to be a marmite game. Will give it another chance, but don't like it so far. A shame because the game pieces are very impressive.

Shadows Over Camelot
    Co-op game based on King Arthur. My favourite game of the bunch! Me and the missus play this a lot and both love it. The rules are so well crafted and there's so much to think about during play. It's a very hard game, but that makes it all the more satisfying when you win. Top stuff.

Dominion
    Card management game. Only played one game of this so far and enjoyed it. I can see this becoming a favourite.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts, and thank you guys for re-awakening a part of my brain that had been asleep since Mario 64 was released.