Some thoughts on the single-player campaign (because fuck paying for Xbox Live Gold with the amount I've been playing the Xbox recently):|
- Great art and rendering technology
- Impressive engine cut-scenes (especially characters and skin-shaders / lighting)
- Difficulty was manageable but quite frustrating on Heroic (yes, I'm terrible). After switching to Normal I actually had some fun. The shield scaling for Heroic feels slightly off, everything just takes way too many hits to kill (especially watchers). Also, it feels as if the AI cheats and moves enemies as soon as I have a nice shot lined up. Heroic and Legendary would probably be fun in coop though.
- The levels themselves were not particularly memorable, but the reconfigurable geometry was a nice idea (although I'm not sure it really added anything). The Forerunner architecture reminded me of the style of P.N.03, a game I still dearly miss a sequel to. Too often the flow degenerates to "Go somewhere for some reason that only makes sense if you played all games 5 times and read all the books, and then do the same thing 2 to 3 times to progress" (go through portals, push buttons, activate light-bridges). Mostly push convenient buttons / Cortana insertion points.
- As alluded to in the previous point, it feels to me as if the story is getting worse and worse with each game (ODST and Reach sort of aside): Halo 1 and 2's was fine, simple Humans against aliens (with the Flood sort of popping up) and some mystery as to the forerunners / Halo rings. Now we have all sorts wawa that feels more like Matrix 2 and 3, instead of 1 (Reclaimer, Mantle, Composer, Didact, Librarian, ...). All this Jesus-complex, 1000s of years leading up to Master Chief (and his armour!) and then on-the-spot gene-manipulation bullshit just went over the top. The mystery (and awe) is sort of gone.
In summary, an above average single-player game with a convoluted story that grasps higher than it can reach, with slightly repetitive level design that is saved by excellent tech and me wanting to see the next cut-scene (even if it is mostly gibberish). Nonetheless, I still hope there's more Master Chief (and Cortana).
[maven] 5,528 posts
Seen 19 hours ago
Registered 14 years ago