#2593970, By PondScum What do you think of the European Union ?

• PondScum 6 Sep 2007 08:24:05 367 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think my problem is that there are now a vast number of 30 somethings (myself included) who feel that they haven't had a say on whether we should be members of the European Union or not. As I understand it the initial idea of the EU was as a fairly loosely coupled set of member states working together in a trade capacity, and that is what my parents voted for. However over time, its powers have increased, and I think even the most hardened Europhile would agree that it's an unrecognisable entity from that which the referendum was held on. That could be a good or a bad thing depending on your point of view, but I think it's fair to say that I don't feel I've had a say on whether or not I want to be part of a tightly coupled, almost United States of Europe.

So regardless of my personal point of view, I'd like to see a referendum on our membership of the EU, and whichever way it went, for the other side to aceept and get on with it. I'm pretty sick of successive UK governments and their "we know best" attitude. Let the majority decide.