#7300966, By FalseAlibi Exercise advice and weight loss

• FalseAlibi 31 Mar 2011 18:55:54 89 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @The Bodybuilder re:kickboxing

I know there's a lot of myth and old wives tales stuff to do with fight training and I don't disagree with what you've said at all, but fwiw (without trying to dig out specific references) my recommendations were based on...

imho Kickboxing tends to be about bursts of anearobic energy to produce explosive power whilst mainintaining a fairly constant aerobic output.

From what I've seen when reading into road work, interval training etc. tabatas produce adaptations in both anaerobic and aerobic capacy pretty efficiently and the aerobic adaptations (bar those of the left ventrical) rival those gained by following traditional lower intensity training.

And on a personal anecdotal level, I've found they were the simplest thing to incorporate and have a significant effect on my running / sparring.

The fight-time based interval I suggested is mainly an aerobic workout however as it's well over sprint duration times and is supposed to be good for improving recovery times as well as getting you used to the rounds, recovery times and timing of what's being trained for. The aerobic power interval you suggested is what I've read is pretty much optimum for improving recovery times as it goes, but I suggested the fight time interval as it's good to train for something close to what you expect your output to be + some gas in the tank for one more round.

And the longer jog was partly for the reasons you gave, but also for the mental aspect of it not being over in a jiffy and so not leaving someone unused to having to work for more than a few minutes.