#1993508, By PondScum Referendums in a democracy

• PondScum 24 Jan 2007 01:02:33 367 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mapster wrote:
    disussedgenius wrote:

Oh I know, but it shows that the situation over there is very different in terms of us all getting along (the logistics I mean, not that we're any better at being nice to each other over here). I think part of making it a referendum was 1) hopefully bypassing the political/militant bickering and 2) having the country make a decision as a whole rather than as a catholic community vs a protestant one, or at least that is what it seems like to me.

You pretty much got it right. I guess the most important thing about that referendum was that lives hung in the balance because of it.

Things are a lot better now, and that referendum has a lot to do with it.

We still argue amongst ourselves (friends, family etc) about how we voted, but at the end of the day, you don't see Northern Ireland on the front page of every newspaper in the land because of horrible murders.

So, that particular referendum created a movement for peace, but without the referendum it would never have been accepted.

So, sometimes referendums (sp? We really need to know the plural of referendum!) are good?

Not saying I disagree with you, but I'm from NI too, and it sticks in my throat to see the killers of my best friend's sister who was killed in Greysteel walking free. But I guess that's the point of a referendum - the majority, who may never have close experience of a particular issue, get to choose for all.