#7983228, By ThemisB PS3 FAQ - Ask all questions in here!

• ThemisB 20 Sep 2011 15:22:20 2,781 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    NOTE - using the backup utility on the PS3 which ONLY restore to the same PS3 console. Idiotic, really. Copy everything by hand.

If you mean that you can only restore backup data to the same PS3, I don't think this is the case. You can restore a backup to any PS3 with certain exceptions:

Some types of backed up data can be restored on another PS3™ system. The types of data that can be restored on another system are as follows:

- Saved data from PlayStation®3 format software *1
    - Saved data for minigames ("minis")
    - Saved data for PSP™Game software
    - Image files under (Photo)
    - Music files under (Music) *2
    - Video files under (Video) *2
    - Bookmarks added under (Internet Browser)
    - Terms that were added using (Settings) > (System Settings) > [Add/Edit Term], or predictive terms that were "learned" by the on-screen keyboard

*1. Copy-protected data cannot be restored. Also, saved data that has been restored may not be usable in some games.
    *2. Does not include copyright-protected data.

Source

Although I agree that the simplest way to do it is copy all the saves you need by hand to a USB drive.

I don't think recent versions of Windows (not sure about Windows 7 though) will let you format a HDD to FAT32. You'll need third-party software to do it, something like CompuApps Swissknife. If that doesn't work (didn't for me for some reason), you can download Ubuntu and install it on your computer as another OS - it lets you format to any file system you like.