#9228452, By Toonster The Hobbit

• Toonster 14 Dec 2012 21:18:44 6,844 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Went to the midnight showing last night. HFR IMAX in 3D.

The movie itself was great. I'm not quite sure where the mixed reviews on RottenTomatoes are coming from; I find them utterly baffling. It is a bit slow at the beginning, but I love the dwarves, and McKellen and Freeman do fine enough jobs that I was entertained throughout. A great start to the trilogy. Also, Gollum's riddle scene was perfectly done, and certainly the best part of the film.

As for the HFR... I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would, but I still would have preferred seeing it in 24 FPS. While it worked fine for the outdoor bits, the indoor scenes suffered greatly from the effect, giving it that 'soap opera' vibe. Also, some of the chase sequences looked very odd and a bit sped up. I suppose there came a point when I stopped noticing it, but if I stop noticing it, then it begs the question, why have it there in the first place? And whenever I did notice it, it seemed to suck the artistry out of the shot... everything looked tacky and too much like a set, apart from the bits where actual locations were used. It just made me think I was watching a downgraded version of the film.

I'll still give it a chance, but right now, I just don't see the point. And the film itself was great, so other than that, there isn't too much to complain about. I'd like to let the film itself sink in a little more before I give it a final score, but based on my first impression, I'd give it a solid 8/10.

edit: oohhh, and I saw the Star Trek preview! It looked fantastic! I wasn't too excited about the film at first, but this convinced me otherwise

Edited by Toonster at 21:23:53 14-12-2012

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)