#1771495, By style Is Eurogamer becoming too mainstream?

• style 2 Nov 2006 14:50:52 416 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    When I first started reading I considered it an 'honest' review site, the people reviewing the games could articulate their opinions clearly and the scores reflected them.

As EG has grown so has the amount of screen space filled with ads but the content has kept its quality and new additions like EGTV are a welcome expansion to it.

On occasion people have said EG has shown bias to certain games, genres or developers giving marks for indie creed or retro cool rather than on the merits of the games but time and again reviews prove they're in no ones back pocket.

'Power corrupts' they say and as EGs influence grows over the games buying public it'll be interesting to see if its credibility can withstand the temptations that come with it.

Some of the forumites have been saying 'When I were a lad, all this were fields' a lot lately but I donít see that much has changed, people are a little more aggressive in defence of their opinions but that seems to be the same everywhere I look, not just on the net.

For a long time there were a group of forumites who assumed they ran things and drowned out any dissent by being abusive twunts and derailing threads, the mods have banned people that needed to be banned and even if they've come back on socks they're less vocal which is a good thing.

However, new forumites are often looked on with distain and made feel unwelcome with their threads quickly shot, I'd like to see the mods crack down on people being openly abusive to people for no other reason than theyíre new and ask a question thatís been asked before.

My only complaint about EG is the loss of the 'Whatís New' news post, the crappy forum tech that makes finding stuff a pain and the maaaassive adds down the right hand side of the screen. I'd also like to see a few more 1 or 2 out of 10 reviews, just to stop the devs and publishers getting complacent.
    +1

In the short time I've been here, I've had to put up with all manner of albundy and MasterThief accusations. I just let it go. No sense throwing a hissy-fit. But I find the 'gang-up' nature behind it a bit much, to be honest. There seems to be a clique of forumers who think they own this place. The most ironic thing is the triumphant "OLD"-ers. The only thing that's "OLD" is them shooting down peoples thread left, right and centre, even if that person is only knew and finding his (or her?) feet.