#7313786, By FalseAlibi The 'Official' UFC appreciation thread

• FalseAlibi 4 Apr 2011 12:50:38 89 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    byakuya83 wrote:
    judo alone is weak in mma, you really need to know judo and brazilian jiu-jitsu to have any impact. dhk has a very good guard passing game which is a position rarely used in judo. he combines his ability to trip and throw well with his jiu-jitsu.

I agree that Judo on it's own isn't enough for MMA rules, but Venkman's point about it being an alternative to a wrestling base seems valid as it's available at a decent level in the UK and combined with MMA training and more general grappling can get someone a reasonable way towards at least holding their own / keeping at bay a wrestler.

byakuya83 wrote:
    judo is ju-jitsu made safe and more fast-paced for sport. brazilian jiu-jitsu is ju-jitsu but altered and changed to concentrate on other aspects. they are all closely linked but brazilian jiu-jitsu is the most practical for mma.

And while I think BJJ is more practical on it's own for MMA due to the rule-set, I was under the impression that BJJ is only called brazilian "jiu-jitsu" because when the the term Judo wasn't in use yet when Japanese teachers who went off evangelising it left Japan. It was - after all Kano Jiu-Jitsu, Jiu-Jitsu that they spread which then became known as Judo.

The differance / split is mainly down to the rules of BJJ the sport versus Judo the sport and as a result the training empthasis of each, not the techniques taught / utilised.

Anyway - I'm actually hoping that some of the folk revival stuff in England manages to take a hold somewhere and traditional wrestling becomes a succesful niche in Cornwall, Devon or Lancashire etc. If that happens then I think that'd lead to a good bit of evolution for the UK MMA scene.

Probably won't happen and even if it does won't change things for several years, but some solid Collar and Elbow, Backhold, Cornish etc would match up well against Greco Roman imho.