#5948054, By jkrodal Final Fantasy XIII

• jkrodal 20 Mar 2010 12:33:30 155 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    harhol wrote:
    Gradius wrote:
    I'm left wondering how many of the people who have no issue with the cut down 'world' are new to the genre or at the very least were not really fans of traditional JRPGs in the first place. If I'd seen random battles, towns, interactive npc's, exploration, choice, etc, either as 'problems' that should be cut out or as insignificant/a waste of time then I wouldn't have ever played JRPGs in the fist place, because those are the things that make them up.
    As a long time JRPG fan I do agree with your second point. It is incredibly annoying when JRPGs get marked down by reviewers or dismissed by the gaming public simply for being JRPGs*. One of the biggest obstacles to gaming being taken seriously in a wider context is the refusal of many to recognise the existence of genre. However, as someone who has played everything from Shadow Hearts to Mana Khemia and beyond, I do find FF13 to be a welcome change of pace. I felt the same way about Cross Edge, which to many is an embarrassing throwback but to me is one of the best games of this generation.

* funny/insightful article about this phenomenon: http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/09/06/

I've been disregarding western reviewers doing jrpg's for a long time. Most of the time I know I will enjoy a certain game way before they proclaim their often negative opinion on it. I had a golden chocobo in the stable on the Highwind, yet still I can enjoy what SE has done with FFXIII. "random battles, towns, interactive npc's, exploration, choice" are neither problems nor vital aspects of a jrpg for me. It's hard for someone who can enjoy both worlds to see why there's so much polarization around it.