#5901679, By Veracity Final Fantasy XIII

• Veracity 7 Mar 2010 23:24:54 352 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Reminds me of the dress sphere system from Final Fantasy X-2 which I found phenomenally irritating, having to waste time watching the same cheesy role switching animations again and again instead of cutting the crap and giving me access to a full skill set.
    You could turn the magical girl clothes-shedding off if you didn't consider it a major selling point. It'd still run the whole animation the first time you used a class, as far as I remember, but it's not as if there are all that many. There was some FFT-esque cross-class skill support, too. I thought the class switching was fairly well-implemented, if a bit overpowering by nature. But the jobs certainly still had what seems to be an insurmountable issue for Square, that one or two spammable combinations always work, so there's really no reason to bother investigating anything else except as a self-imposed restriction or if you're grinding AP into all of them for the sake of it.

Haven't been following XIII much. The relatively hands-off ordering by role sounds a bit Last Remnant, but maybe not, as nothing I've happened on seems to have made that connection. The most common complaint seems to be absence of exploration-but-not-really trappings, which I'm not fussed about, so I might enjoy it. Nothing I'm going to bother buying a current-gen platform over, though, and if I don't get one soon I might as well just acknowledge that I'm skipping this crop altogether.