#9290749, By coomber Recently Completed Games

• coomber 13 Jan 2013 21:30:22 336 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Cadence Yeah, I had to reload an old save and re-equip before the end boss fight. Your set-up makes a huge difference as to how hard the end fight is. Personally, I loved Dead Space 2 but preferred the original.

Anyway, talking of survival horror...

The Walking Dead

Not really sure what all the fuss is about with this one. As an example of story-telling and how to write a video game, it is exceptional. But as an example of an actual game... well it's good but nothing amazing at all.

It's poorly designed. It doesn't run well (I played it on a Mac). The graphics - even taking into account the decision to replicate the style of the comic books (which was a no-brainer) - are poor.

The only reason people are getting excited about this, as far as I can tell, is because it is brilliantly written and actually takes account of your decisions so that it makes them all matter. It's as if somebody played through the Mass Effect trilogy and thought "For Christ's sake, it's not hard. Look, I'll show you..."

But, as a writer, this is something that I've been waiting to happen for years. I'm just amazed it has taken this long for someone to get it right.

Now we just need developers to combine the two with gameplay that isn't just half-arsed puzzle solving/QTEs and we've cracked it.

Anyway, in a nutshell: If you haven't played it, you should - just don't get swept up by all the hype.

7/10

Edited by coomber at 21:30:50 13-01-2013