#10506573, By bobdebob Nominations - Volume II of The Greatest Art Form: Video Games and the Evolution of Artistic Expressi

• bobdebob 24 Aug 2014 02:28:08 589 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Stranded87 wrote:
    Does appreciating The 400 Blows as art make Die Hard any less enjoyable? No, there's a place for both. I'm not trying to say that games that are or aim to be art are objectively better than games that are pure entertainment and I doubt many other people are either, they simply serve a different purpose.
    Look at various top 100/50/10 greatest movies of all, you'll notice that pure entertainment films tend to appear at the the bottom of list. Check the greatest lists for videogames and most, if not all, are pure entertainment.

People actually list films that have artistic merit over pure entertainment films, they are saying that certain films are artistically and objectively better than pure entertainment films. This doesn't hold true for games since they have no artistic merit, they're either walking simulators, 'Choose your own adventure' cgi books or games with 'art' draped over it.

Stranded87 wrote:
    This doesn't work for me either. A game is a single piece of work, the fact that there are multiple aspects to it and multiple people behind it doesn't change that. Otherwise you'd have to say that films aren't art for the same reasons. If it's a single piece of work and it contains art then it's at least possible that it is art.
    This was in answer to when 'art as games' gamers point out various bits of arts contained in games somehow make the whole game art, like Braid for instance, where apparently the nice watercolor graphics and the (crappy) bits of prose placed in between levels make it art.