#9301940, By SClaw Visiting Beijing

• SClaw 18 Jan 2013 08:36:55 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RabidChild wrote:
    It's been a good day. I was a bit overwhelmed when I got to Tiananman square because everyone wanted to talk to me, which I thout was nice til I realised they were trying to get me into tea ceremonies or art shows. I was polite to the first few but then starting ignoring people. So it's possible there were some genuine locals who got ignored by a grumpy giant westerner. Ran the gauntlet of 'tour guides' and 'ticket sellers' to get to Forbidden City. Spent hours there taking photos and exploring - really glad I went. Then went 'round Jingshan park for a bit. Just got back to the hotel for a call with work in the UK, and I'm glad because the smog has suddenly got very thick (I can barely see the other side of the road from my hotel). Gonna take it easy tonight and then go to the art district tomorrow and maybe do some souvenir shopping. Really want to get to the Great Wall, too, which I'll try and arrange for Sunday.

Szechuan hot pot definitely the highlight, though ;)
    I'd forgotten about people talking to you before you said that, then I remembered that when I visited the Great Wall I had a few Chinese people their who wanted a picture taken with me. A tour guide explained that a lot of people from the middle and north of the country have never seen a westerner, so it's a big score for them to get a picture with one. Like having a picture taken with an alien.

Might be a bit less common these days. This was a good few years ago now, back in the early boom days over there. A completely surreal experience.

You seen many of the granny brigade about? Old folks with Nazi-like red armbands? That may also have gone out of fashion since my last visit to the mainland.