#9826707, By Kami Nintendo faces 'path to irrelevance'

• Kami 8 Sep 2013 02:25:46 2,430 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    From the article, not sure if this is a typo: "I don't think handheld game-only devices make sense anymore," he told the BBC. "Not when you have an iPod or an Android microtablet".

But i think that sums it all up. An Ipod? He doesn't even know the market himself, and the fact the 3DS is selling well, proves handhelds are still around for a while.
    This, this, this, this and a million times this.

If you're going to take the cheap pot-shot at Nintendo (and lots of people do, frankly it's kind of boring now), for the love of all that is sacred and holy, KNOW YOUR FREAKING MARKET! iPad! iPad! iPad! *breathes*

The 3DS has proven there is still a market for the handheld. It has. The numbers don't lie, but I suppose it's always hard. We had a lot of 'experts' predict the Vita would sell eleventy-million machines by this point, after all.

That said, Nintendo are always "special". It's like they are expected to operate in a completely different way to any other company, or that special rules must apply. I still use the phrase "A curiously Nintendo problem" for a lot of this. Bayonetta 2? "Boo to Nintendo exclusive! YOU SUCK NINTENDO!" - Uh huh. And without Nintendo's money, there'd be no Bayonetta 2. Sony offer money to studios to make games, "Hooray! We love you Sony!" Same with Microsoft - how quickly we've forgotten the One reveal, eh?

It's things like that which do make you wonder why Nintendo bother. But then, you see Pikmin 3 and the new Smash Bros. and you suddenly realise they're doing something that clearly they love to do. And for all the gimmicky stuff, they obviously are very much into what they do.

Relevant or not, as long as they make stuff people like and make money, they'll be around for many more moons to come. Like a lot of rock groups; you sort of come by them again a little later and they're still working and touring so obviously, there's still an audience. And they still love what they do enough to tour. Surely that's a good enough reason? Why does everyone need to be as famous as Nikki Minaj nowadays to be taken seriously? Hell, I can't take Nikki Minaj seriously...

Which, all in all, frankly is more than can be said for Atari... didn't they go bankrupt AGAIN this year?

Edited by Kami at 02:31:28 08-09-2013

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!