#9798660, By Stranded87 The Greatest Art Form: Video Games and the Evolution of Artistic Expression

• Stranded87 24 Aug 2013 15:05:28 768 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bobdebob wrote:
    OptimusPube wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Games aren't art, they're games.

Not everything has to be something else and peoples constant attempts to argue that games are art shows that they are afraid that their hobby is dumb shit for man-babies (which it is) so they try to make the entire thing more legitimate by saying "It's ok that i enjoy vidja gaems because they're art so i'm all highbrow and shit".
    Please find a new hobby.
    Couldn't have put it better myself.
    No, Spuds is right, games aren't art. There's no deeper meaning to them, other than to kill some time in a fun way.

All the games I've played that have been put forward as art are only superficially 'art' or not a game.

Braid, a brilliant platformer but waterpaints and tacked-on prose which has nothing to do with gameplay is not art.

Bioshock, a decent FPS that barely touches upon its objectivist themes and is basically a power struggle between two people and ends with a cardboard cutout supervillian is not art.

Spec Ops: The Line, a mediocre shooter by someone who's watched Apocalypse Now but only understood that 'war is bad'.

Passage is not a game, Dear Esther was not a game, Heavy Rain just barely passes for a game.
    Really depends on how you define art, what you take away from them and how they affect you. As ljermontev said nothing is objectively art, but many games have the potential to be. To me the Mona Lisa isn't art. It's technically accomplished but doesn't speak to me. I don't consider Gears of War or Halo to be art either, but Journey just might be.

It also depends on how you define a 'game'. You've decided that Dear Esther isn't a game for example, which seems a problematic way to come to the conclusion that games aren't art- i.e as soon as a game approaches art is ceases to be a game. In any case, Dear Esther is a game. It has an objective and in a sense you can 'win' it, in that you can reach the end and pull the disparate threads together somewhat.

Edited by Stranded87 at 15:09:00 24-08-2013