#9635107, By Kami Gaming's Biggest Fallacies

• Kami 10 Jun 2013 09:10:36 2,460 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @JinTypeNoir ; Indeed. The whole Nintendo fallacy is a complex weave of threads that people love to toss about, but ultimately there's nothing holding them together in a ball. The slightest tug and the fun kind of stops dead.

The thing that did Hudson in though was the collapse of its financial banking institution in 2000 through toxic investments and inflated valuations in the real estate market (oh, what's that little niggling voice in the back? You thought we were special in 2008/2009? You thought that America and the UK got this all wrong on its own accord and it was a surprise to everyone. How positively CUTE!). It lost pretty much everything and had no alternative but to turn to the stock market, where Konami stepped in and began pretty much assimilating it over the next decade.

Atari - there's a funny story. I remember reading a book about the dumb things Atari did over the years and one of the dumbest moves was that it refused to market or sell a games console to the market in the mid-80's, leaving the company behind it to go it alone and crush the Atari home console into the dirt. This machine was the Famicom, i.e. the Nintendo Entertainment System. Nintendo didn't particularly WANT to do it alone in the American market. They offered Atari the chance to sell it in every market except its home nation of Japan, and rebrand the machine if they so wished. Atari didn't, Nintendo went it alone, and I think we all know what happened next.

Sega effectively doomed themselves with financial mismanagement, we know this by now, and SNK - well, they pushed a machine on the market that was super-advanced and had all the shiniest stuff, even came with two CPU's and specially-designed graphics and sound (the AES), but it cost them. And us, frankly, because it was $599.99 on release. Not to mention their strange idea to port games to the weaker systems (usually Sega as I recall, the two had a "special relationship" of sorts), often demonstrating on their own accord that all that power was, frankly, a bit of a waste of time and money. Hard to ask people to buy the hardware when you're actively putting the games on other machines, really... that's just basic business logic. Keep a Unique Selling Point, be it technical or, in the case of most hardware companies, a series of unique IPs and franchises.

Say what you like about Nintendo, they've certainly weathered a lot of shit in their time. It's almost something to admire really, they've pulled through when many of the more popular/shiny ones didn't.

Anyway, that's those guys taken care off. Nice to see you again by the way Jin, s'up? :p

Edited by Kami at 09:15:10 10-06-2013

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!