#9561591, By Dumbass question.......what is the ram on a graphics card used for?

• Deleted user 10 May 2013 21:50:47
    warlockuk wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Yeah, I'm glad someone finally asked this question. Also, if a CPU can be overclocked why aren't they shipped like that? Sure I've got more of these noob questions here.
    O_o

RAMs... well, the graphics card needs its own ram to make all them pretty pictures. Think of it as a team; the cpu tells the card what it wants drawing and what textures to use and then the gpu sits with its little paintbrush doing as it's told. Or something.

More video ram generally means more textures, less buffering of shit between the computer and the card and more framebuffers and elephant housing.

Mowg, you've been here 7 years? Overclocking usually requires more expensive fans to counter the extra heat etc instead of the cheap ones CPUs come with.
    Or, to put it another way, if it was released overclocked it wouldn't be called overclocking. By definition you're running it past the standard spec. You can buy machines pre-overclocked but they've usually had after-market fans/heatsinks/badgers added.

Fuck this shit, it's Friday. I'm not even trying.
    Cheers! I've just never really thought about or cared enough to research it. Makes sense now.