#9548069, By Bulbatron Should I take up the challenge...?

• Bulbatron 4 May 2013 04:36:06 836 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i was wondering if I could ask some advice about game difficulty? Before I go any further however, I feel I should explain something about my particular situation. I am visually impared. Specifically, I'm short sighted, meaning I have to sit right next to my television screen in order to see properly. While I'm merely short sighted out of my right eye, I have very little vision at all in my left eye.

As a result of this, I tend to play all my games on the lowest difficulty setting possible. The last game I played on Normal (without playing easier difficulties first and carrying over items and/or weapons) was Resident Evil 4. The last time I did this, but going straight for the hard setting was Resident Evil 3 Nemesis.

But nearly all the time, I play on the easiest difficulty.

I recently played Metro 2033, not thinking I'd be abke to finish it, even on Casual. I'd heard it was supposed to be quite challenging, and for me, it certainly was. However, I still really enjoyed it and I'm eargerly awaiting Metro Last Light. There's also a bit of trepidation there, since that will probably be quite challenging for me as well.

Anyway, the point I'm very laboriously coming to, is that I really want to play the God of War series. I've seen people play through God of War 1, 2, 3 and Ascension on YouTube, and they look amazing. Also, I am quite keen on Greek Mythology. The nearest I've managed to get to a God of War-like experience so far is Rise of the Argonauts, which I quite enjoyed.

Now, my understanding is that the God of War series is meant to be quite challenging, so I was hoping for some honest advice regarding the difficulty of the games. I've heard some people say the easier settings are still quite challenging, while others have said they are a cakewalk.

My other worry is the quick-time events. I'm especially worried about these on God of War 3 and Ascension, as the prompts appear at the edges of the screen. Since I have only one eye which is really of any real use, I haven't really got much peripheral vision, to speak of, meaning it's tough for me to keep my eye on the main action while looking out for QTEs.

Are the QTEs the same for any given situation, for example? I mean, after buggering up a QTE, will the prompts be the same again for that particular encounter etc, or do they change every time?

Any other advice regarding QTEs or overall difficulty would also be most welcome. I really want to play this series, especially now that both volumes of the God of War HD Collection and God of War 3 are now part of the cheap Essentials Collections. However, I'm worried I'd just be letting myself in for a world of hurt and it'll just turn out to be an exercise in misery and frustration for me.

I was also looking at Castlevania - Lords of Shadow. Any advice about difficulty on that would also be welcome. I'm rubbish at the 2-D games, but I wanted to give Lords of Shadow a go.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on for so long. Any help or advice regarding the God of War series in particular would be gratefully accepted.

Edited by Bulbatron at 04:38:07 04-05-2013

Wow - what a mansion!