#9530843, By JinTypeNoir Commence Soul Hacker program in Europe

• JinTypeNoir 26 Apr 2013 11:20:27 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So with the news that Soul Hackers is coming to Europe, I think we need a topic talk about it and celebrate.

Why makes this news to celebrate?

Soul Hackers is one of many RPGs that almost got translated back in the day, but for one reason or another, never did. If you were to ask me to rank my favorite MegaTen games in order, it would be like this:

1. Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
    2. Soul Hackers
    3. Shin Megami Tensei II
    4. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
    5. Persona 4

And I'm not the only one. It is very highly regarded as a classic and a masterpiece.

Why is it regarded as a masterpiece?

The storyline is sensational. Better yet, it is even better today than it was back then, because it is the very definition of a game that was ahead of its time. It concerns a company that has designated a city in Japan as a testing spot for a virtual playground to be accessed by a new form of internet technology and the hackers that find out there's something strange about the virtual city. If you're rolling your eyes and you think you can predict what happens next, you will be delighted to be proven wrong again and again by a storyline that goes through more weird shit than you can imagine.

The way the story plays out can also differ quit a bit from play to play, like most MegaTen games. And in my opinion they've never managed to achieve the same level of perfect symbiosis between storyline and gameplay again in the series (at least not thus far). The battle system is challenging and typical of MegaTen; it has many quirks and depths that revolve around the ability of the hackers to modify reality with their computers.

Because you are hackers, in a cool reversal of 4th wall breaking, you can hack the game the way you want. This lets you, to an extent, set what kind of game you want to play in terms of letting you design how the game works for your preferences for RPGs in terms of exploration, battle, leveling up and so on.

With a setting and characters that are unusual even for MegaTen, the overall game still, to this day, is one strange, but delicious food for thought. Virtual cities, cyber crime, American Indian-inspired tribal hallucinations, possession by digital AI, conspiracy, ghost stories and hacking all combine to create a truly fascinating game.

Yeah, but it's 14 years old!

And that's why Atlus gave it quite a face lift, with full voice acting, new stuff and many modern conveniences when they ported it to the 3DS. It won't feel much like a game of 14 years ago, because the original was so ahead of its time and whatever was still stuck in that time period has been excised and improved upon in the 3DS port/remake.

I think I should check it out!

Good idea! Any other questions?

Edited by JinTypeNoir at 11:29:50 26-04-2013