#9301176, By regularjoe The Wheel of Time books

• regularjoe 17 Jan 2013 20:04:08 7 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:

It leaves me feeling a little lonely, I had a friend and now they're gone.

I think maybe I'll come back to the wheel of time when my son is old enough to be read to, I hope he'll enjoy them as much as I have.
    Agreed. Just finished reading it myself. Sanderson has done an absolutely stellar job in these last few books, no doubt with considerable assistance from Jordan's notes. Memory of Light truly felt like one big war novel - brutal, thrilling, and tightly paced - worthy of everything in the series that preceded it.

I feel a terrible sense of loss, of absent friends. All the great memories will shine on, slightly dimmed by the knowledge of an empty horizon.

In terms of other recommendations, I would heartily second those who have mentioned the Mistborn series.

And I would add Guy Gavriel Kay - his Fionovar Tapestry (trilogy), Lions of Al Rassan (standalone) and Sarantine Mosaic (duology) are the stuff of superlatives. The rest of his work, in my opinion, tends to slightly better than pedestrian. His recent novels (Last light of the Sun, Ysabel and Under Heaven) are best avoided.