#9317227, By uiruki Demon Gaze

• uiruki 24 Jan 2013 10:28:07 3,766 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got this, played for about an hour.

It feels a lot like the other Experience/Team Muramasa games currently out (if you have a Japanese Xbox Live account, check out the demo of Students of the Round/Entaku no Seito - it's very generous) as after a fairly chatty intro it then leaves you alone to the important business of dungeon exploring.

The main character is a Gazer - a guy with a funny eye who can capture and control demons. You can equip demons for stay and support bonuses and deploy them in battle. Watch out though - using a demon in battle depletes your demon points and if they reach zero, the demon goes berserk and (I assume) turns on you. If you're full on DP the demon likes to come out of its own accord for a turn, too.

The dungeons themselves feel quite old school, with lots of damage panels (the lava ones in the first dungeon did about half damage to my party - harsh!) and little books and crannies. The map is excellent as it has an autopilot function which saves a lot of tedium without reducing the challenge. The goal in the dungeons is to clear a number of stone circles, the name of which I forget right now. Each circle invites you to place up to three gems and summon some enemies; depending on the gems you place, enemies will bring different things. Win the fight and take over the circle - it then becomes a save point. Each dungeon has a demon, though, and once you've taken a few circles over they begin to intervene.

In the dungeons everything plays out quickly. Movement is fast, using both sticks in an unusual control binding which you quickly get used to, battles play out insanely quickly if you hurry them on, and the graphics are very simple and clear. It has respawning item drops and a mix of simple random encounters at a very low rate for the genre and tiles with symbol encounters.

I was worried when I first saw this as Experience had previously put out very sober looking games. It's clear as I play, though, that the game itself is uncompromised (and if you boost the difficulty, uncompromising!). If I wanted to be cynical I'd say that they saw the success Zerodiv had with Class of Heroes in spite of its lack of quality and hired a guy to do some artwork. If you're in doubt, load up one of their PC or Xbox demos. You'll find that for Wizardry style games, they are respectful of the player without being simple.