#8771562, By Bombonera Would EG benefit from being taken over by a larger company?

• Bombonera 10 Jun 2012 01:35:01 344 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This is just a thought I've had for a while. I consider EG to be one of the best sources for game reviews and articles of interest on the internet. There was an article a few months ago about the demise of Rare, which was one of the finest examples of games journalism I've seen. I also prefer EG's reviews to those of most other sites. Last year there were 2 highly anticipated titles released for the PS3 and 360 respectively - probably the most anticipated exclusives for their respective formats - Uncharted 3 and Gears of War 3. While most other sites were handing out 9s and 10s galore, EG was brave enough to give them 8s. I also find that EG's reviewers generally come across as being more intelligent than on Gamespot and IGN.

Despite that, I feel that EG doesn't get the audience it deserves. Looking at measurements such as Alexa rankings, Twitter followers and number of Facebook likes, EG lags behind most of the major players and even middling competitors like Joystiq and CVG. I feel this is more to do with those sites having much greater financial backing rather than them offering better content than EG. EG has done very well to punch above its weight and survive for so long in the face of such competition. What do you guys reckon?