* CVG: 7.8 - "Eighty-six years of technology, and there's still so little to split between Call of Duty 2's World War II and Black Ops 2's World War Next. Perhaps that is the enduring message that Black Ops 2 has to share with the world."
* Official PlayStation Magazine UK: 8/10 - " Black Ops 2 is the ultimate expression of what Call Of Duty has achieved on the current generation of consoles, but it'll take PS4 to unshackle the series from its current limitations"
* IGN: 9.3 - "The team at Treyarch could have played it safe and Black Ops II would have sold well, but instead they challenged assumptions and pushed the series forward in awesome new directions."
* Gamespot: 8.0 - "By reaching forward while remaining rooted in the things it does so well, Black Ops II offers a great shooter experience."
* Games Radar: 4.5/5 - "Treyarch introduces new ideas to the tried-and-true game mechanics of the series and improves upon them. Every aspect of the game has been honed to a razor-sharp experience, complete with beautiful visuals and rock-solid controls."
* Polygon: 8/10 - "Black Ops 2's campaign and Zombies mode are disappointments, especially coming off the across-the-board success of its predecessor. But it's a testament to the extraordinary quality of its multiplayer that Black Ops 2 won't go down as a forgotten entry."
* Joystiq: 4/5 - "Multiplayer is king in Black Ops 2, offering plenty of in-game and inherent rewards for its ravenous online community. It's paired with a lackluster story that fails the ambition shown by the branching campaign, reflecting the overall game's forward-thinking but imperfectly executed ideas."
* Giant Bomb: 4/5 - "It's the notion that Call of Duty is showing some terrific signs of life on the campaign side that left me the most impressed. It's got its share of flaws, but overall Treyarch has assembled a great, fast, and fun first-person shooter that, even if you were thinking about finally skipping a year, is still worth your time."
* OXM UK: 8/10 - "As a multiplayer game, Black Ops 2 is one of the best shooters around - sprawling and sagging under the weight of interesting systems. Offline, however, it's merely adequate."
* Destructoid: 8.5 - "It's a great game from a studio that's done everything it can with the tools at its disposal to reinvigorate Call of Duty, even if it doesn't refashion the series completely."
* Videogamer: 8/10 - "I prioritise the giddy highs of the Black Ops II's exhilarating multiplayer over the disappointment of its poor and brief campaign. Be very careful if you don't."