#9514357, By Oh-Bollox Spec ops: The Line

• Oh-Bollox 18 Apr 2013 15:49:40 5,327 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bobdebob wrote:
    Yager did base it off the mission without understanding it.

Up until Death From Above COD4 missions consisted of your (now-)standard shooting gallery of close-quarters realistic-ish violence, Death From Above flips this around by having you control an AC-130 and having the player detached from the violence on the ground by the fuzzy videofeed and only vaguely identifiable enemies. It's even reflected in the AC130 chatter: "Good kill, good kill" and "Good shot, I see lotsa little pieces down there." It's almost exactly like those videoreels you see on the news and those leaked military videos.

Death From Above is highlighting the disconnect between technological detachment and actual consequences. (Whether it's intentional commentary, I don't know)

It's what made that mission so unsettling.

Spec Ops tries the same without as much impact by showing the consequences in an unsubtle way and the only other commentary we can glean from this is 'accidents happen in wars'.
    1) It's 'based on'.

2) You couldn't be more wrong. From here:

This is where the brilliant designers at Yager had the idea of mimicking the “Death From Above” mission in Modern Warfare. The idea was that we, as gamers, have been trained to disconnect from a game when the gameplay experience drastically changes. We stop thinking about the enemies as Soldiers and instead see them as glowing dots that need to be turned off. Once the Player disconnects from the reality of the situation, something truly horrible happens. And it hits Players in the gut, because now they have to face the consequences of their actions. They don’t get teleported to the next location. They have to face the human cost of their actions.
    Brendan Keogh's book, Killing is Harmless, discusses it at length. Keogh's idea, obviously, but:

Of course, the real choice Walker has is to turn around and leave Dubai, and the real choice the player has is to not play a military shooter that asks you to drop white phosphorous on people...Walker is choosing to be in a situation where he has no choice, and so am I. The Line doesn’t really want players to stop playing at this point. It simply wants us to accept responsibility for the situations we allow ourselves to be in...As the AC-130U gunner of Modern Warfare, I never had to see what I wrought, but The Line forces me to walk right through the carnage I have unleashed. It gives me the safety and the absolving distance of a targeting computer then rips it away again, rubbing my face in what I have done.
    Edited by Oh-Bollox at 15:53:47 18-04-2013

Edited by Oh-Bollox at 15:55:19 18-04-2013