#9835395, By Revolution in the middle east

• Deleted user 11 September 2013 12:50:59
    I'm inclined to think that the majority of deaths may well be due to the rebels, but given the nature of civil wars, it is not something that is easy to prove.

You claim that it is the policy of 'Assad's dynasty', (I'd call it the Ba'ath regime), to 'kill dissenters'. They could argue that their policy is to kill dissenters who resort to armed violence against them - and that in that respect, they are not particularly different from governments all over the world. Unlike Egypt or Tunisia, the Syrian rebellion became very violent, very soon - perhaps an indication that the rebels knew that they didn't have mass support and decided on violent methods to compensate for this.

I'd have to differ on the view that Syria is the biggest problem for the world: I'd say rising mass unemployment is the world's foremost problem - and tackling that ought to have been the priority (at the recent G-20 summit for example).

Finally: the refugee crisis, is a serious humanitarian tragedy... for West Asia; (in contrast, the four million that are internally-displaced are a concern for Syria alone). Let the main powers in that region, (Iran, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, even Israel), deal with it. Saudi Arabia is probably wealthy enough to rehabilitate one million of them single-handedly, the rest can be dealt with by the rest of the region. Moreover, once they start bearing the burden of the refugees, they might be less inclined to add fuel to the fire (by financing or arming the warring sides) and more inclined to facilitate a diplomatic solution.