#6441787, By Shivoa The **OFFICIAL** Starcraft 2 Thread

• Shivoa 10 Aug 2010 11:40:40 5,677 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Move the camera and grab some keybinds that activate special powers (different weapons). Lock those special powers so you have to walk over a gun to get the scripting to enable that weapon. Build some ammo counters from generic integers and wire it into the mana/energy system if you can't build the entire ammo concept from scratch (make proxy units with non-regenerating energy to make a counter for each weapon carried if you do have to hack that system).

The arcade, top down shooter in the canteen in campaign (Lost Viking) is 'just a custom map'. That is just using the scripting tools on top of the SC2 engine. They've also shown a SC: Ghost style third person shooter mock up and said the tools are totally up to building this.

Edit: SC2 isn't even that special in my book. UDK (the free/indie Unreal Engine tools which people are making full games with) doesn't come with source code access. The current Unreal Scripting language and tools (along with access to shaders and other art assets sometimes mislabelled as code assets) are all you get. People can make shit with that, and not just an UE3 style shooter with the same visual style half the full licensees of UE3 (full commercial licenses come with C++ source, those in house coders have a lot more access than UnrealScript). Now that is a well constructed scripting language build on top of a game engine*.

*Not saying SC2 scripting is crap, haven't even had time to play with it myself (I guess I maybe should at some point), but UDK shines at me as a burning light of the power of scripting over to top of a locked engine.