#7202494, By Coughthulu Nintendo 3DS

• Coughthulu 7 Mar 2011 08:50:01 157 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just managed to have a play with several all running different games in BIC Camera (Tokyo).

Two were good. RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER! Looked excellent, though the 3D didn't really add a huge amount to it, considering the courses I tried were city based and twisty, so there wasn't a lot of distance drawing.

Street Fighter, using the over-the-shoulder perspective, took a little while to get used to. But once it clicked, it was bloody marvellous. You can tell pretty accurately how close you are to your opponent, so positioning to get a kick or punch in, then jumping *just* out the way to avoid a reprisal put a great big grin on my face.

Professor Layton was a bit more odd. It looks like they've layered it, like a cutout box-theatre effect, so the 3D doesn't massively change with the different settings. I didn't actually get to play this, after 5 mins of intro, I gave up!

On the note of 3D depth effect, there's a noticeable difference between the max 3D and min úd, but moving to off is a noticeable difference between the minimum effect and off. Also there's a little flick of the screen jumping between 2D and 3D. I'm guessing there's a change in HW rendering mode every time that happens*.

The slider works really well, I was expecting something akin to the nub on the PSP, but instead it's very comfortable and seems to have the just the 'right' amount of distance in all directions to be useful.

As to the 3D and headache debate, I felt fine after fiddling around for 30 mins, and my missus (who usually gets bad eyestrain) didn't seem to have a problem watching, either (that's something else, if you get far enough at an angle, then the 3D effect seems to click back in. I guess is something to do with how far apart the lenticular bits of the screen are*).

Overall, impressed. Had put it down as a bit gimmicky, but might actually invest in one now.

* Total guess, have no idea how it works internally.