#5924689, By kupocake Digital Downloads - Dissertation topic

• kupocake 13 Mar 2010 17:42:40 125 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have a pretty big collection of games and other media taking up shelf space, but boxes aren't that important, especially as they're seemingly only capable of getting even more flimsy / poorly designed / devoid of content.

It's a fairly complex case by case thing, but I suppose there's these types of games out there:

a) High RRP Games I'm so excited about I'll pre-order. I'll get these boxed. Back when Steam priced its new games competitively (based on US RRP), I pre-ordered the Orange Box. The diabolical artwork was a factor too.
    b) High RRP Games that suddenly leap onto the radar because of good reviews or word of mouth. I'm even more likely to get these in the box, since if everyone is right I'll have a tangible bit of gaming history, and if they're wrong, I'll have something to stick on Marketplace. Unless DRM happens of course.
    c) New Low RRP Games. This is your stuff like Popcap, 'casual' or Indie titles I like the look of. Most of the time, a boxed copy simply isn't an option, but my impression is that both the consumer and developer get a better deal, with less middlemen.
    d) Everything Else. The main question for anything else is which version is cheaper. These are the games I don't care enough about having to have them at full price near their day of release, so having a box is equally inconsequential.

I have never got a special edition release of a new game, but I find the 'digital deluxe' versions of new titles utterly unfathomable. I like those tin-boxes you get with some otherwise standard releases, but the only thing I would actually pay extra for in a new release is a generously sized production artbook. In fact, I'm quite happy to buy such books separately when I don't even have a box for the game.