#6471380, By Shivoa Recommend me an entry-level DSLR camera

• Shivoa 20 Aug 2010 12:41:58 5,677 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    /bump of camera thread tangentially related to post to avoid making a new thread.

As I posted on the bargains thread:

OLYMPUS PEN E-P1 Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with 14-42mm Lens, Dixons 329.99

If you want a diminutive m4/3 camera then that price is hard to beat. You don't get a EVF or pop-out flash with the E-P1 (first is an addon for the E-P2, second comes in the plastic body ultra-light E-PL1) but, while sharing the sensor of the also small Panasonic GF1, the Olympus gets to a new smaller with the lens being significantly shorter (telescopic storage position and image stabalizer is in the body/sensor mount make this 14-42mm a lot smaller than the Panasonic equivalent).

I haven't seen the tiny m4/3 shooters (rather than the big empty body G1, which has hit this price point before) down that low before. The significantly shorter 14-42mm on the Olympus makes me think they're offering quite a bit more than the GF1 can muster and at a price to clear. You don't get the best with the first Olympus attempt at the format (sensor is stock so as good as any others but you do give up any notion of extras like EVF/integrated flash).