#5453410, By Shinji 2nd year of uni too hard. What to do?

• Shinji 5 Nov 2009 21:52:01 5,903 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    ahhh yeah. Looked at anthropology a fair bit last year (historians plundered Levi-Strauss, and especially Geertz, tied to post-structuralism, yadda yadda yadda), and I read an essay by an anthro who was advocating inter-disciplinary activity and was getting fucked off at its insularity. Tbh I can't stand that attitude. It's snobby, and counter-productive. History is great as you can synthesise so many findings of other disciplines and use them in an historical context.

If you really want to see some high-quality examples of academics rabidly defending their particular patch of knowledge from Evil Outsiders and refusing to stay in touch with related developments in other disciplines, you should check out some of the murkier backwaters of linguistics. It's fucking depressing - full of researchers acting like advancements in psychology and neurology which have a major impact on their field never happened, and others blankly ignoring developments in fields from statistics to social science and anthropology. It's like they're in a little bubble of time all of their own.

Every essay I wrote on those fields ended up having to be re-edited to remove any trace of contempt, like a slightly more educated version of going through and putting a smiley after every second sentence.