#4050831, By Picnic Which was the most important gaming era?

• Picnic 22 Nov 2008 23:29:30 36 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I haven't played many games of this generation but Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is a superb generation-defining game to me.

As a platform game fan, 8 bit British examples such as Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy, Monty on the run and Rick Dangerous are very important to me.

The heyday of the Amiga, SNES and Megadrive- approx 1990-1995 saw a second wave of great 2D platformers (a time also when the the Monkey Island series and Alone in the dark were created). 1996-2001 saw the first wave of 3D platformers, especially for Rare's output on the N64, Resident Evil and various Sega games eg Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio Future.

Sega's exit from the console race, couped with Xbox's entry into the console industry, seemed to see the platform game diminish in popularity however Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Super Mario Galaxy and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and bolts have innovated it.

Since 2001, I have also particularly liked Max Payne 2, Metroid Prime, Luigi's Mansion, the Resident Evil remake, Half Life 2 (in parts), Outrun 2, and Bioshock.