#9131628, By dradis Business website

• dradis 6 Nov 2012 10:45:07 21 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    cjb_bjc wrote:
    Just launched a new site. Let us know what you think!

Martin King Carpets

New postings in my blog as well

Design Puddles Blog
    It's not a bad site at all; seems to do the job OK. You do need a larger portfolio section, though: good quality pictures that are easily browsable.

The main issue is the text - specifically the fonts and colours. You've got to have a damn good reason to use a serif font on a website. (You don't have one.)

Ditto the drop shadows. Ditto the odd sans-serif font that you're using for the standard body text and menus.

The SEO side of the website REALLY needs some work. The main problems with it are:
    - title tags aren't well-written
    - meta descriptions aren't engaging
    - meta keywords: seriously, don't bother
    - h1 tags aren't meant for subheadings
    There's certainly more, but I'd class all these as basic SEO considerations.

I'm not trying to be mean - it really isn't a bad site by any means. As a brochure site, it works fine.

But I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about designers and developers who really can't do SEO, but still claim to offer it as a service.

I have a number of friends who run their own small businesses, and have been stung for by designers who simply haven't a clue about it. I genuinely think that most of the designers are clueless - it's incompetence, rather than a deliberate attempt to deceive. It's no excuse, mind.