#5700968, By FHUTA Martial Arts?

• FHUTA 12 Jan 2010 15:35:30 880 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Onny wrote:
    True, but TKD and many forms of Karate have are quite spar heavy.

TKD very rarely does heavy contact sparring, though. And mopst karate styles don't do continuous heavy sparring

Fair enough - in my experience (ITF TKD) there was a lot of emphasis on sparring (and competitions), but you're right in that it wasn't at full power. That said there was also a lot of bag work, which alongside light to moderate sparring is still I believe a benefit.

in fact heavy sparring with punches to the head is extremely rare in karate.

Actually, this is something I've been thinking about a bit recently with regard to Kyokushin Karate and indeed bare knuckle fighing.

Due to gloves and head protectors etc in modern times, there is an increase in punches to the head (and hence an increase in fatalities due to brain trauma) that would otherwise be a risk of breaking the hand.

As a result a lot of striking arts have a large focus on strikes to the head whereas full contact fight forms that don't have gloves focus on strikes to the body. As a result of this, such fighters perhaps pay less attention to the head than boxers or the like.

The thing I'm pondering, is that I think it makes sense to train in such a style as it's more practicle to strike at the body with the hands (and leave the head for feet or weapons). But as most people train to punch the head...*

..is it better to train / fight in an effective style for the moment, but which can leave you injured for future confrontations or to train to fight in a safer way, but with less experience in a common style of combat?

I kinda think that when push comes to shove one should go all out and the risk of damage to the hands is acceptable. And if such an encounter is a one off or very rarely repeated, then so be it, but then that doesn't seem practicle if frequent combat is a possibility as you'd need to be in as fit a state as possible at all times. Also it smacks of kamikaze / a bee's solitary sting before death.

Edit: also, Aikido? Really?
    Unless I'm thinking of the wrong thing, then I reckon it's joint locks / leverage'd make it a good tool to have in your belt when combined with a general grapple and striking skillset. But if choosing between it and BJJ or Submission wrestling or as a standalone style then less so.

*Edited to add that my practicle experience of fighting is minimal and I haven't done a martial art in a very long time. (looking to start BJJ or Krav though)