EA has announced Command & Conquer: The First Decade for release in February 2006, but before you get too excited, it's not a new game, it's actually a compilation of the last ten years' worth of C&C releases - lovingly compiled by EA's LA studio with a DVD of video features thrown in to boot.
The series has apparently sold in excess of 23 million units worldwide including expansion packs and spin-off (like the woeful C&C Renegade), and after ten years EA reckons it's worth reminding people. EA LA's Louis Castle, one of the founders of Westwood, which first developed the game, said he was "thrilled" by the prospect of a compilation. "It seems like yesterday when we were all pleasantly surprised by the way the gaming community wanted to play this new type of strategy game," he said.
As well as the games listed below, C&C The First Decade comes with a DVD consisting of half a dozen features (including an interview with Castle), and EA is also planning to talk to the world's biggest C&C fan - as soon as they've found him or her. A search is currently underway at www.commandandconquer.ea.com.
The full line-up then:
- Command & Conquer (August 1995)
- Command & Conquer The Covert Operations (April 1996)
- Command & Conquer Red Alert (Oct. 1996)
- Command & Conquer Red Alert The Aftermath (September 1997)
- Command & Conquer Red Alert Counterstrike (March 1997)
- Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun (August 1999)
- Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun Firestorm (February 2000)
- Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 (October 2000)
- Command & Conquer Yuri's Revenge (October 2001)
- Command & Conquer Renegade (February 2002)
- Command & Conquer Generals (February 2003
- Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour (September 2003)