Microsoft E3 Conference Finished

Microsoft has delivered its yearly E3 press conference and kicked the show into action.

Below is our live coverage of all that was said and done on stage; the promises, the revelations, and the plan.

It comes at a crucial time for the Xbox 360 as its rival PS3 console gains momentum in Europe and Japan.

Join us for the Nintendo and Sony conferences tomorrow. Until then, here is the Microsoft presentation with the oldest entry first.

Latest comments (361)

• onyxbox 6 years ago

Avatars - what a generic name.

MS haven't got a clue have they really. If you want that sort of stuff... buy a Wii. MS really are just aiming and shooting at everything at the moment and are hoping some of it will stick.

They entered this market with real innovation IMO but as each month goes by they're increasingly loosing it... they're execs talk bull (as do most), they're loosing momentum in sales.... they still have massive issues with their hardware and they have one exclusive worth anything (GoW2) which is more of the same.

a year ago I thought MS was going to be unstoppable but they're digging their own grave at the moment.

• Amazing Bryan 6 years ago

The All-Seeing Eye is watching you...
  • Amazing Bryan 6 years ago

End 'em all?
  • Shrub 6 years ago

Well as it turned out MS conference provided me with the most entertainment, with the surprise FF13 announcement. The casual shit I will gladly ignore, and Gears is not my cup of tea - but I'm surprised to see so much support from S-E. I might actually have to consider buying an XBOX 360! Wow, I never imagined that might come to pass.
  • BartonFink 6 years ago

wingzerosys wrote:

^360 fanboy huh?

Nope more of a tard hater really.
  • BartonFink 6 years ago

wingzerosys wrote:

wingzerosys

Nope more of a tard hater really.
  • SeesThroughAll 6 years ago

How many times did they use the term "new" and "innovative" for the trophies

NEVER. ZERO TIMES.

You heard it, Sony representatives NEVER claimed to innovate gaming by copying Achievements.

What they did it call it however "a feature our users have been asking for".
  • Rash' 6 years ago

Xerx3s, I agree copying isn't exclusively MS's domain, but looking at that conference they copy from the competition in their own business. At least home was a idea copied and now being developed for a different market. It's an idea taken from outside the industry in an attempt to make a difference to it. All MS appear to be doing is a "Mii too" strategy. Their greatest contribution this gen so far is Live and achievements.
  • WinterSnowblind 6 years ago

@spekkeh

I guess you missed their presentations about their recent update? How many times did they use the term "new" and "innovative" for the trophies, and whatever else? They did the same thing in '06 with the Sixaxxes, and again with HOME, infact I'd say Sony are the worst offenders of doing this.

That being said, besides the fact you have a visual representation of yourself, I don't see how the avatars are all that similar to Mii's. You guys are acting like Nintendo was the first ever company to use avatar's, the 360's are being used for something totally different. Everyone also seems to be ignoring the fact that Sony has a similar system for customising avatars with Home. Why is Microsoft suddenly guilty of copying everyone, yet when Sony and Nintendo do it, it's largely ignored?
  • spekkeh 6 years ago

Thing is though, you won't see Sony tout about the things they've stolen. They don't generally e.g. hold up the Dual Shock and say "look at this awesome thumbstick, it will totally revolutionize our games". Maybe they'll say something like "the new technology gives us unique opportunities, like real time weapon switching. See if I can locate this giant enemy crab's weak spot for massive damage" and then teh internets community will laugh heartily at them. Of course you're going to steal everything that's successful on other consoles, just don't make it central to your presentation. That's also the second thing then, steal one thing, fine, two, hmm, three, tsk, four, five?! It was just getting shameless.
  • Xerx3s 6 years ago

Rash': I never said ms where masters of originality. But what annoys me is that people seem to think that sony and ninty are masters of invention while they do nothing else than ms - or anyone else for that matter - and copy. What you said about home? All due respect but I strongly disagree. I can't think of a stronger example of a concept being copied and pasted. But you will most likely be aware as much as I am where they copied the idea's from (if you don't take a look at the pc where all these 'creative' idea's that the consoles had over the past years).
  • spekkeh 6 years ago

"crapy PS2"?

I'm a bona fide N-tard of over 9000 years, but youse xbots are getting ridiculous.
  • nippy58 6 years ago

Same for me.

FF3 and IE - divs collapse when an Ad loads
  • MrAndrew 6 years ago

This article doesn't seem to work, the text appears as the page is loading and when the page has loaded it's just timestamps and dotted lines.

I tried it in Firefox 3 and IE7.
  • mukki 6 years ago

no video? or where is it?
  • Wash 6 years ago

djironz?

I can think of one, little big planet. Thats it, all the big releases this year for either consoles are sequels, or related spin offs. God Of War 3 will prolly be shown in the sony conference and you'll cream over it, blissfully forgetting originality. Aslong as a game is good, who gives a damn if its 1 or 20. Hasnt hurt mario.

In fact M$ had to start a bunch of new franchises just to get in the game, Halo, Gears, Forza, Viva Pinata, etc etc.

Claiming one is less evil, more original than any of the others is bullpoop.

• wingzerosys 6 years ago

^360 fanboy huh?
  • BartonFink 6 years ago

Can we have a new 'M$' and 'Micro$oft' auto-ignore filter please EG
  • BartonFink 6 years ago

@djronz

What new ones have Sony come up with lately?
  • BartonFink 6 years ago

Whaaa FFXIII on 360? \o/

Other than that nothing unexpected really.
  • wingzerosys 6 years ago

Micro$oft want to rule the world, its already a mega-corporation.

Ever since operating systems were released, Micro$oft has blatantly copied the competition, operating systems, internet explorer, search engine and now with gaming.

No ideas of your own huh M$.
  • davisorle 6 years ago

Wash is right. MS not only pushed the generations consolewise up front since not just their 1st was a fucking amazing piece of art compared to the crapy PS2 but also shook Sony of their ass to do something more next time around. Tho BluRay isnt on a real gamer's list. Just for the pwns that go blind to the slaughter. Just like the fucking animals they really are since they cant think for themselves. Thats all i gota say. also Thaks for the info on Bungie's site Niteninja. Wouldn't have noticed. Better be something good.
  • Anthony_UK 6 years ago

I thought that was pretty impressive to be honest, although I was expecting more things I wasn't already aware of.

But even so from a gaming perspective i'm more than happy, Gears 2 looked amazing and put most of my fears to rest. Resident Evil 5, Fable and even the likes of Banjo and VP also looked awesome.

But what impressed me most was the new interface. The current one like many have said needed updating, and although with this new one it is plain to see that Microsoft are trying to appeal to the wii crowd, I still think that they have got it spot on, hitting that middle ground of appealing to both the hardcore & also the more casual players.

Although i own all 3 consoles, I must admit I have a soft spot for Microsoft this generation, mainly because now me and my friends are growning up and having children etc, it can often be difficult to find the time we once had to meet up and hang out. Having something like xbox live just makes it that so much easier to keep in contact and have some fun (especially when the mrs has gone to bed) and the steps Microsoft are now taking with this new update looks like its going to be even more hard to turn the thing off when theres work the next day......

/Fingers still crossed for KI3

• Dizzy 6 years ago

What no Bungie announcement!!!!!

Oh yes there is: http://www.bungie.net/

One more day ;)
  • Wash 6 years ago

"Microsoft copied the competition to step into the market that the competition set up."

Whats this now? the original xbox was pretty good jump in point, hard drives, broadband only internet connections, live, tbf with that console M$ prolly pushed things forward a whole lot.

Without live, i dread to think what the state of console online gaming would be like. That may sound like hyperbole, but remembering the ps2s and gamecubes implementations were tons of meh, live really made them think, and Sony is constantly paying catch up to that.

Moral of the tale, M$ being in the market place with the other 2 - is very good for us.

As for the "DISSAPOINTED" and "MEHS", all this shit was leaked weeks ago, so what were u expecting? M$ to pull a new game or 10 out of their asses. They've certainly made leaps with some of the announcements. Who of thunk before this gen there was any chance of final fantasy making teh leap - pretty big statement if u ask me.

As for the hdd stuff, M$ were silly to remove that from this cos of the different skus, the hardware was right in the first xbox. Shame they had to think aboot the bottom dollar i guess. As for halo i'm sure we'll hear more soon.

Good show, interesting to see what sony and nintendo have to give us.

Great time for gaming if u ask me.
  • David_Richardson 6 years ago

"Home was at least a genuine attempt at something new for the industry."

Home is Second Life in everything but name.
  • Darkbeat 6 years ago

Was a bit dull 'eh? There werent really any brand NEW game surprises. I think it's nice to see FFXII become available for more people to enjoy and who can't afford several consoles. Can't wait for tomorrow to see what Sony and Nintendo has!
  • PsychoPriest 6 years ago

ress.com...

My summary of the conference for anyone wanting to find out what went down
  • Rash' 6 years ago

Xerx3s, With all due respect, Microsoft copied the competition to step into the market that the competition set up. Home was at least a genuine attempt at something new for the industry. Microsoft aren't leaders and this presentation just confirmed that for me. They don't set trends. They follow them.
  • niteninja 6 years ago

No Halo news you say? well my friends check this out.

Looks like MS have left something for middle of the week ish.

aspx
  • evild_edd 6 years ago

A solid show from MS I thought.

Fable, Gears, Resi, GW:RE2 - my 'hardcore' gaming experience is catered for here.

Can't say I'm bothered about FFXIII (give me Fable any day). That's a move that seems to only be there to upset the Sony advocates IMO. I suppose it might convince a few who were looking to move from 360 to PS3 to stick with their 360, but reckon it'll be a negligable effect.

Dashboard improvements always make things better, and some of the more 'casual' games (Banjo and VP:TIP) could be good for a laugh.

MASSIVE DISSAPOINTMENTS: no Alan Wake; no Halo franchise news (Halo Wars or Peter Jackson project); and the biggest dissapointment of them all....

....NO SHENMUE 3 CONFIRMATION!!!!!

///rocks in corner

......one day my precious......one day..........
  • niteninja 6 years ago

Sony need to show this tomorrow.

vy_Rain

ology/20...
  • Killdare 6 years ago

Hmm ... overall reaction = (adopts Kevin Kline tones) "DISAPPOINTED!" I was looking for something new and unexpected from MS and instead got a rather belated attempt to jump on the casual bandwagon (and, I fear, see a lot of new games joining Scene It in the bargain buckets). Other than that, by and large the games were either non-exclusive or already known about. If MS wants to cement its position as No2 in the world after Nintendo it really needs to do something more. My Xbox has been spending more and more time idle recently, with the PS3 slowly taking over. I'd been hoping this conference would give me a reason to blow the dust off.
  • dredd97 6 years ago

well i'm not expecting any exclusives from sony... they just don't have the cash to slosh around....

sony will probably concentrate on new IP rather than already established stuff...

still some good stuff to come from them too... and while were on about FF13 does anybody really expect it to be stellar on the 360? xbox peeps are more interested in the next halo thing or GOW2 or bioshock 2...
  • BadByte 6 years ago

FFXIII on 360 => Happy happy happy

@Xerx3s:

What I meant was the fact that the whole keynote was just ripoffs. I remember the olden days where it was all innovation, or at least more than was on display here, and there were new ideas, but this one had none of that. Didn't even have a truly megaton announcement...

I see your point, but I think you took my comment slightly the wrong way :)

I like the ideas, I think they could be good (and I look forward to them when I get my new xbox) but nothing new to see here. Unfortunately.
  • chris_ace 6 years ago

my exepctions of e3 have now gone down. Im expecting an hour long talk from sony now about their video store. trophies and home, with their big suprises being something stupid like gears of war one and 2 to be released 'sometime'
  • Xerx3s 6 years ago

"But you're fooling yourself if you think this keynote showed anything other than Microsoft stealing ideas."

Fucking hell mate. EVERYBODY BLATANTLY RIPS THINGS OFF! There is no originality and you are fooling yourself if you think there is. The home thing was ripped from the mii thing and that was most likely ripped again from gamerpics and that was ripped again from other things. Same for everything else from motion control to whatever. It's an upward spiral and everybody adds their two cents.

@Lexx87:

Not that big a deal, actually. Big shock, yeah, but not a big deal. I mean they could have announced Disgaea ;)
  • Lexx87 6 years ago

I love the idiots in here saying what a load of crap (obviously ps3fannys, I like the PS3 but you guys take the cake in beign cunts) and then they get slapped in the face with Final Fantasy. Made my day.
  • Xerx3s 6 years ago

"How much did they pay for that? "

Probably just as much as sony and nintendo do for their exclusives. Still, it is worth every penny and I fucking hate that franchise. Just for the tears. heh. :D
  • autogunner 6 years ago

hmm no mention of any halo based stuff, hold on for sony's press conference soon when they announce the halo games coming to PS3 ;).

on the negative side i will be hear the fan boys furiously masturbating about this for months, probably to the point where the whole internet breaks...
  • seasidebaz 6 years ago

Oh noes I is rabid sonyy fantard cos i lieks games

Seriously, now I've thought about it, FFXIII on the 360 is a good thing. More money for Square, better game. XI and XII sucked, so hopefully XIII will be a good 'un now. But I wouldn't hold out much hope, as for JRPG's there are better alternatives.

I like the idea of the MMO gameshows. I like the idea of the redesigned dash. But you're fooling yourself if you think this keynote showed anything other than Microsoft stealing ideas. And throwing money at people (timed exclusive of RB2? Exclusive DLC for Fallout?)

cyber_nicco, you obviously need to read properly.
  • hailstorm 6 years ago

Nothing really all that new. The new dashboard looks nice. It was kind of way overdue anyway.

I'm a bit bored of this generation. Nothing makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. Nothing makes me go 'woah'. I want the next Xbox. I'd like to see the next leap in graphics.
  • Xerx3s 6 years ago

Yay: Games, New interface, crossgame parties, community games.

Nay: avatars.

AWHELLNO!: Endemol.

Fucking fail: No dukenukem3d, KI3, etc..

Epic fail: clownthingie.

Lol @ massive silence during SE man. Crickets you say?

Fortunately there is no motion controller nonsense.

>well fable 2 is looking good.... :) wey better than FF13

Agree.

I'm actually GENUINELY surprised people still care about Final Fantasy.

There hasnt been a good one in years...

I wasnt even aware of 11 and 12! :-)

Fallout, fable 2, gow 2 .. all sounded great... but we knew about them already... very much a "meh" showing for me...

• makeamazing 6 years ago

Well i hope it was more interesting for EG being there than it was reading it, because it didnt sound much fun. Im not convinced by Fable.. and theres a dog, and you have a house... wow...

Only thing that sounded interested was Fallout, and Gears of War 2. Didnt sound like a great event, lets hope Nintendo and Sony have something more interesting tomorrow.
  • Rash' 6 years ago

spekkeh, Somebody at MS got it wrong then. They look like a rip off merchant anyway now, so why not go the full hog?
  • dredd97 6 years ago

well fable 2 is looking good.... :) wey better than FF13
  • mkreku 6 years ago

No Alan Wake? I waited all this time and they don't even mention Alan Wake?!

I'm gonna kick a puppy.
  • Asundai 6 years ago

Thing is, if Lost Odyssey is anything to go by then playing FFXIII on 360 is going to be a goddamn nightmare with all the disc read errors. Still a good thing that it's coming though.
  • spekkeh 6 years ago

And no Wiimote ripp off. That was surprising, considering...

Will likely be kept under wraps until the TGS. Somebody at Microsoft probably reckoned they might come off as a company that blatantly steals others' ideas if they put this in this year's E3.
  • subtlesnake 6 years ago

"fallout 3 exclusive dlc & final fantasy 13 also on X360, everything else was already public knowledge, a very underwhelming confrence."

It was public knowledge because it leaked out beforehand. You can't just expect Microsoft to magic up new initiatives out of thin air.

• Monkey_Puncher 6 years ago

Just like last year, E3 big announcements just don't really happen now that the show's in July. Wyhy would they announce games for next year and take the emphasis off this years line-up?

I gurantee it'll be a similiar story at Sony's press conference as well.

Still some good stuff there though, just nothing mind bending.

Banjo on Xbla? w00t!
  • Rash' 6 years ago

And no Wiimote ripp off. That was surprising, considering...
  • ThePissartist 6 years ago

Microsoft have disappointed me with this.

Where was Halo? Where was motion control?

Only thing that interested me was the new dashboard.

*crys*
  • spekkeh 6 years ago

Well I guess announcing FFXIII is somewhat better than announcing Pacman via GBAlink cable..
  • shadowsblaze 6 years ago

Let's face it, Microsoft's press conferences around E3 has never really been good over the years has it? What was surprising were the number of games absent at the conference. Splinter Cell: Conviction. Halo Wars. Alan Wake. You would think we would have heard something about them. Guess we'll have to see what Sony and Nintendo pull out of their bag, see if they can do any better.
  • WinterSnowblind 6 years ago

A bit too much of a focus on casual gaming, but that's hardly surprising. I like the new dashboard, and it's nice to see the 3D avatar system actually being implemented for something, unlike HOME it seems like it actually serves a purposes, and aids the online system, instead of trying to distract from it.

I have no interest in any of those party games, but again, I can see why they're focusing on it so much, and the actual games they did show are still looking great. The Fable online system sounds awesome, and I'm really excited about Banjo. And the Final Fantasy XII announcement is undeniably, a blow to Sony. A lot of people bought PS3's or were getting one for that title alone, you can't act like the cheaper alternative isn't going to affect them at all.
  • spekkeh 6 years ago

Scene-It!: before!

Entertainment of today (on Ps2 and Wii), entertainment of tomorrow (on xboxb360)!

Baddam-tsch.

Who can conjure up more?
  • Chufty 6 years ago

What the fuck?
  • 6 years ago

It would be ironic now if Sony announced Gears for Ps3 lol.

Of course this aint gonna happen.
  • onyxbox 6 years ago

FF13 on 360 was a 'no way' moment... you gotta hand it to MS that was a killer blow... you can't help but smile about the amount of fanboy activity that just caused.

As for the rest of the show... I thought it was as dull as dishwater and just showed how desparate MS are to get a slice of the Wii/PS2 (Wii Sports/Mii's/Singstar/EyeToy/Buz
    z) market.

Can't wait to see how Sony pull themselves out of this one.
  • drumbaby 6 years ago

Judging by the amount of Msoft scented jism flying around here, did Final Fantasy XIII just become an Xbox exclusive or sumthin?
  • Connobi 6 years ago

Where was all the new cool stuff??

Party games & FF are all well & good, & the new dash looks sweet with the avatars & all, but come on!!! Where is this newton controller? Maybe the 60 GB official announcement? More stuff to do with that p.o.s. camera I wasted money on that so far doesn't add much if anything to the gaming experience? Where is Halo Wars? That PeterJackson Halo thing? Maybe Warhammer or some other halfway decent MMO.

What was shown was sweet & very well presented, if a bit awkwardly in parts (bless 'em). But I'm left thinking they could have wowed us with more new stuff, instead of stuff that we've known has been coming for yonks (GOW2, Fallout - yawn!).

& why isn't there anything on the XBox live markeplace yet?
  • chris_ace 6 years ago

that was pretty poor, they have nothing. everything was multi platform apart from gears. and the singstar and mii stuff were such a rip off it was embarrasing.

oh and that isnt portal 2, its just an xbox live arcade version of the 1st game with extra content.

roll on nintendo and sony conferences
  • PatrickEwing 6 years ago

what the fuck is final fantasy?
  • dredd97 6 years ago

jesus so ms grab ff13 hardly the end of the world is it..?

more stink was kicked up over GTAIV going to the 360, and i remember all the rabid xbots saying then that sony was finished..yet it hardly was and has come back strong..

wait till sony's conference tomorrow before you gloat, because you might just be surprised....
  • Rash' 6 years ago

This is the problem with a poorly planned out strategies. You come out the gates with one market and half way down the road you alienate them with a shift in plans to a different market.

Probably the only of concern to the other hardware manufacturers is FF13 on 360. Other than that not much to speak of really. 360 is losing steam.
  • DjFlex52 6 years ago

it's STILL coming out on ps3...

So therefor - bit of a non-issue.

@smelly

Not really...the same as GTA IV.

It's better to make an once exclusive console game into a multi-console game.

• sanctusmortis 6 years ago

@dredd: did it ever occur to you that MS just took away a reason for non-Japanese gamers to get the PS3? What with how much the PS3 trails behind in the US and UK, that's pretty massive.

Sony really have to up their game now, as FF has been a game many were waiting for to get rid of their 360s and get PS3s just to play it. Now... well, what is there to do that for? KILLZONE 2? LBP? Nope. It's just got a little more interesting, as now all Sony reall have is the first party stuff, as MGS 5 is going to take a few years yet...
  • smelly 6 years ago

... and people take the michael out of nintendo for overuse of sequels... :-D

• smelly 6 years ago

>Omg its every sony fanboys nightmare come true.

He DIDNT say 360 exclusive...

it's STILL coming out on ps3...

So therefor - bit of a non-issue.

• myiagros 6 years ago

portal: stll alive better also be available on PC, otherwise there is gonna be hell to pay! and definately no cake afterwards!!
  • Rash' 6 years ago

"Never seen any other company actually proud of "bringing estabilished PlayStation franchises" on their own platform. It says as much about PlayStation as it does about themselves."

Got to admit though it's a coup for them...
  • DjFlex52 6 years ago

@SeesThroughAll

I hope you said the same thing when Playstation did exactly the same to Nintendo 14 years ago by taking FF, Metal Gear, Dragon Warrior games and publshers from them?
  • Scimarad 6 years ago

FFXIII!?!? HOLY EFFING CRAP!!!

Never would have believed that in a million years!
  • DAN.E.B 6 years ago

its official guys! 2007 was and probably always be the greatest year for gaming.

now its party games and music games! great!

oh well it was good while it lasted!

i suppose theres always alcohol.

grabbs vodka from fridge/

sweet licker eases the pain......................
  • Asundai 6 years ago

Yeah, there's still some good games coming. Nothing we didn't know about (except FFVIII - but i think i'd appreciate that game on a *quiet* console more anyway...) so it's not very exciting.
  • effinwooly 6 years ago

FFXIII on the 360 !!!!!!! get in !!!!!!!!!!!
  • MilkYMoO 6 years ago

The sony defence force are going to have to work overtime.
  • myiagros 6 years ago

so overall the actual announcements from the event were:

How the hell did they keep the GH and RB guys apart back stage, 84 - 85 tracks at launch, thats a bloody fine line!!
  • SpeedyThing 6 years ago

So much negativity! All the 'hardcore' moaning about the death of 'their' console when actually the following were shown...

Resi 5

Fable 2

Gears 2

FFXIII

Fallout 3

Portal: Still Alive

Now whether or not you like the karaoke stuff or not this is hardly the death of a console. The only 'hardcore' genre that seems to be missing is the generic racer!

I know very little new was shown but that's because games seem to be hyped years in advance nowadays.
  • Mudo 6 years ago

Fuck me, that was absolutely bloody awful. Absolutely nothing of note was announced. A couple of minutes of gameplay from fallout 3, fable 2, gow 2, resi 5 (but nothing new) and then a massive gap where nothing happened before fucking JRPGs. I need a cup of tea, that was ridiculously poor.
  • Mudo 6 years ago

• seasidebaz 6 years ago

I like the idea of the 1vs100 game, and being able to win prizes (but will they cover the subscription cost?)

Most of that was just ripping off Sony and Nintendo, and proving that Microsoft have enough money to pay companies millions to release exclusive content. Well done Microsoft. Try making some money, though. *slow clap*

Also, WAGGLE CONFIRMED!!! (in their singstar microphones)
  • bad09 6 years ago

Well that was absolute rubbish.

The only things remotely interesting for me was Gears (but that's just more of the same from the looks of it) and resi, although my hopes are going down after seeing Resi 4 with different graphics (even to the silly knife swipe at barrels)

Sony I've been critical of your mistakes with PS3 but damn I'm praying you can do better than this crud!
  • dredd97 6 years ago

i'm not poor I have both a 360 and a ps3.. but i'll pick the ps3 version up.. so no loss for me...
  • dredd97 6 years ago

yep because even having FF 13 on 360 is going to sell shit loads in japan isn't it....

Poor dredd.
  • SeesThroughAll 6 years ago

Omg its every sony fanboys nightmare come true.

Not really, it wasn't cancelled on the PS3 ;)

• byron_hinson 6 years ago

Coup? It's coming out on the PS3 as well, he said it'll just be out on the same day. What a shite conference.
  • dredd97 6 years ago

hardly...it's been rumoured for months..

mind you, you still didn't get MGS4..so that's still gotta hurt..
  • shadowsblaze 6 years ago

FFXIII. There's nothing like kicking Sony in the happy sacks, is there?
  • shadowsblaze 6 years ago

FFXIII. There's nothing like kicking Sony in the happy sacks, is there?
  • the_dudefather 6 years ago

OH NO HE DI-INT
  • smelly 6 years ago

>FF XIII surely that's megaton?

dunno.. i've not played FF since the 8th one.

Not bothered by a new one in the slightest..

especially when all the showed from it was fmv's.

• patchbox360 6 years ago

final fantasy 13 on 360

thats gotta hurt

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah baby!!!!!
  • MilkYMoO 6 years ago

Omg its every sony fanboys nightmare come true.
  • chris_ace 6 years ago

that it? there big suprise is ff13 another jrpg

what happened to forza, halo, motion controls or is there another microsoft conference?
  • MilkYMoO 6 years ago

Omg its every sony fanboys nightmare come true.
  • patchbox360 6 years ago

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah hahaah
  • smelly 6 years ago

the last 15 minutes worth of boring square fmv's were the highlight...

...

... not

• Ignatius_Cheese 6 years ago

Great, now I don't need to buy a PS3 \o/ ;o)

Massive Coup!!!!

Oh FFS

Look at that smug bastard on stage.

How much did they pay for that?
  • smelly 6 years ago

Well that was a bag of bullshit.

*yawn*

Oh FFS

Look at that smug bastard on stage.

How much did they pay for that?
  • JaysonG 6 years ago

FF XIII surely that's megaton?
  • DjFlex52 6 years ago

OMG.....FFXIII on 360.....wow!
  • MouzerMalti 6 years ago

Blonde Japanese Emo RPGs... not my cup of tea thanks.

Forgive me pc gaming, I'm coming home.

don't worry dear fellow, TO Team Fortress 2! I've still got to get that last Medic achievement!
  • Moz 6 years ago

oh fuck!!!! really didn't think it would happen!!!
  • JaysonG 6 years ago

FF XIII surely that's megaton?

oh whats this.

oh whats this.

oh whats this.
  • KD 6 years ago

final fantasy 13, not bad but not my cup of tea
  • MilkYMoO 6 years ago

Forgive me pc gaming, I'm coming home.
  • Rash' 6 years ago

Last Remenant looks good.
  • Rash' 6 years ago

SeesThroughAll, Great minds think alike then. Give me your PSN ID?
  • JaysonG 6 years ago

why is Richard Madeley on-stage?
  • caligari 6 years ago

More Emo RPGs! Hurrah!
  • caligari 6 years ago

Did he just say "I know that was a pretty sh!t movie"?
  • Zomoniac 6 years ago

Hardcore gamers last hope microsoft, have truly gone nintendo.

They've gone full stop. Nintendo completely alienated any hardcore gamers that weren't sad obsessive Miyamoto-worshipping fanboys years ago. I think it's now down to PC alone, and I detest PC gaming.
  • Rash' 6 years ago

ROFLOL!!! Where's the prize for rip off merchant now, fanboys???
  • SeesThroughAll 6 years ago

@Rash': I do mean it as well, though.
  • MilkYMoO 6 years ago

Hardcore gamers last hope microsoft, have truly gone nintendo.
  • MilkYMoO 6 years ago

Hardcore gamers last hope microsoft, have truly gone nintendo.
  • seasidebaz 6 years ago

I thought the reign of Microsoft would end when Bill Gates left. Seems they're going back to their old ways, though.

Ripping off everyone's ideas - check

Paying obscene amounts of money to ensure devs only make software for them - check

Claiming they are selling more due to them "being the bestest" - check

• Rash' 6 years ago

SeesThroughAll, Dude, I've been saying that from day one.
  • Mudo 6 years ago

Fucking music games.
  • Yaster 6 years ago

Im up to the point where Duffys come on singing along to her own sing in a very off key manner.

Jesus this is f***ing embrassing, MS are as well telling everyone in that autitorium to buy a Playstation. Home, Eye Toy Play and now Singstar, all ripped off.

It was a good run up until now boys, time to die with dignity. Oops, too late
  • SeesThroughAll 6 years ago

This company can not lead the industry.

Slowly, people begin to understand...
  • Mudo 6 years ago

Fucking music games.
  • MilkYMoO 6 years ago

Microsoft should have an adult themed game series. Sex sells!, microsoft. Give us interactive naughty games.

"Yeah, yeah"?

She wasn't that good.
  • SeesThroughAll 6 years ago

AHAHAHAHAHA!

She can't Karaoke herself!

Who the fuck is she?
  • DAN.E.B 6 years ago

christ! wheres the big game announcements?

I'd do her.
  • Muddtallica 6 years ago

I'm glad this IGN stream was a little behind, because the resulting backlog of footage is allowing me to simply fast-forward Duffy.
  • MouzerMalti 6 years ago

ahhh! Dancing Master Chief!!! go away! I want that lips thing... oh wait, who cares...

So hopefully Sony can deliver for the (so-called) 'hardcore' gamers? Probably not, though.

no, no... not at all. But at least they try to focus on other stuff, and Little Big Planet thats why I like SONY, just for that game. amd MGS4 of course but that's Kojima.

apart from that, if you want hardcore gamers, log on steam you'll find heaps
  • MilkYMoO 6 years ago

Sega come back all is forgiven.
  • camaway 6 years ago

Jesus Christ, it looks like some alien bug has sucked the brain out of those MS corporate muppets and vomited liquid shit inside their empty skulls. I never seen something so depressing.
  • Mudo 6 years ago

Christ this is boring. I hope they get back to games soon
  • Rash' 6 years ago

Oh my god they even ripped off the bloody interface!!! This company can not lead the industry.
  • SeesThroughAll 6 years ago

OMG... Metallica are going to release their next album for a free download!

The world is upside down!
  • muftak 6 years ago

@smelly

don't forget singstar rip off

• Rash' 6 years ago

"looks like they're working hard on the innovation doesnt it? "

Yep. Not impressed frankly.
  • caligari 6 years ago

Oh...dear.

Please. Make. It. Stop.
  • MilkYMoO 6 years ago

An announcement for homeworld 3 though would make up for everything.
  • Asundai 6 years ago

• Spikeman4 6 years ago

"To talk about guitar Hero!!!" *cue akward expecting pause*
  • MilkYMoO 6 years ago

Its so true ulov3. Christ I own all three main systems and I'm worried now.
  • SeesThroughAll 6 years ago

The next Guitar Hero, and then that Singstar clone coming up next!...

Buzz Rip Off? Check

Eye toy Rip Off? Check

Mii Rip Off? Check

Wii Controller Rip Off? Not yet..

looks like they're working hard on the innovation doesnt it?

• MouzerMalti 6 years ago

ah yes I was ironic, of course I played eyetoy, I just hope sony have something better than just the PR playing fluid physics, like the previous E3 ;)
  • PatrickEwing 6 years ago

holy camoly, they're going to break out into some shitting cooking game next, bunch of bummers.
  • Rash' 6 years ago

Oh dear... That was embarrassing. Whether it's entertaining is open to debate.
  • smelly 6 years ago

I play games in the nude while sitting on my sofa.

I dont think a live camera is a good idea...

• MilkYMoO 6 years ago

I wish microsoft, sony and nintendo would team up and release one console.
  • David_Richardson 6 years ago

Wow, you really are a bunch of miserable, cynical bastards.
  • monkie_king 6 years ago

Oh god, what is all this lifestyle shit they're doing? If we wanted that we could buy PS3s.

/weeps
  • septimus 6 years ago

Movies.... omfg. I'd rather stab my left nut. Please leave the shitty party games to Wii, it sits much better there. Avatars look horrendous. The new interface seems okay.

Gears looks great.
  • SeesThroughAll 6 years ago

Kudos for microsoft for being creative.

I hope you're being ironic...
  • bad09 6 years ago

MouzerMalti, you never played eyetoy?
  • Rash' 6 years ago

Rare stuff looks good. Unconvincing Buzz! rip off. PS Eye rip off. Audience didn't seem too impressed with that one...
  • dredd97 6 years ago

wow..pretty tragic that!....
  • MouzerMalti 6 years ago

The Movies looks quite good, some parts were hilarious xD Kudos for microsoft for being creative.
  • monkie_king 6 years ago

AVATARS?

DO NOT WANT!
  • bad09 6 years ago

"what...is...going...on"

The death of the hardcore gamer........
  • dredd97 6 years ago

oh look..eyetoy games!

That'll be a hit.
  • grantc7 6 years ago

what...is...going...on
  • MilkYMoO 6 years ago

They're definitely aiming more now at the casual gamer.
  • smelly 6 years ago

this "in the movies" thing looks shit.. why spend so much time on it?

• Spikeman4 6 years ago

The last 15 minutes or so really has been quite tragic.
  • smelly 6 years ago

ah.. he's a little nervous...

it's a new controller...

• shadowsblaze 6 years ago

The original Banjo coming to XBox Live Arcade. Woo-hoo!!!
  • Artemus 6 years ago

eyetoy!
  • Moz 6 years ago

come on give us something to get excited about!!
  • SeesThroughAll 6 years ago

Amazing... Even Eye of Judgement is being blabantly copied...
  • MilkYMoO 6 years ago

Oh come on give us quantum redshift 2. I still had a feeling they would announce brute force 2.
  • MouzerMalti 6 years ago

We've had user-created portal chambers for ages on the PC

Why fret...
  • smelly 6 years ago

oooh.. banjo DOES look good!

I'll add that to my wanted list.

Perfect dark zero 2? .
  • bad09 6 years ago

The silence of the audience on the Xbox Live section is really embarrassing, people not impressed i think!
  • Rash' 6 years ago

Here it comes with remote!!!
  • Spikeman4 6 years ago

WTF, you can now watch movies together across Live. YEAH BECAUSE THAT WILL BE GOOD FUN WON'T IT
  • Rash' 6 years ago

Movie share on Live. Cool! That's an excellent addition!
  • MilkYMoO 6 years ago

But not in europe I bet.
  • Asundai 6 years ago

I wish they'd bugger off with all the avatar / movie / casual game rubbish. Show us something good!

Are there really that many people buying 360s as all-round entertainment devices?
  • smelly 6 years ago

i wanna see some banjo vids...

dammit!

• SuperBas 6 years ago

Holy fuck, is the guy writing this half asleep? There's surely more going on?
  • MilkYMoO 6 years ago

moz try g4tv.com, I had trouble watching the stream though myself, you might have more luck.
  • Rash' 6 years ago

Portal!!! Coup!!! Hardcore appeal yes, but still a good exclusive!

>Portal 2 - Megaton!

The way they announced it - it sounded more like "portal - mission pack"

• Asundai 6 years ago

More portal, not for PC? That kinda sucks.

Oh yes more portal.

JaysonG:

Not really. We knew it was coming. And that Valve don't like the PS3. So that kind of implied...
  • Moz 6 years ago

@MilkYMoO cheers, though sadly i'm using Linux and igns new video system doesn't support Linux!!!!!!!
  • muftak 6 years ago

i bet anything that the fallout 3 DLC will be shit

Dog armour FTW
  • MilkYMoO 6 years ago

Jaysus the 360 is all about games, thats what makes it the best games system. I have a wii for miis and home might actually get me to use my ps3 besides watching blu ray movies.
  • Spikeman4 6 years ago

If the new Banjo Kazooie isn't any good then Rare - you're dead to me...
  • Rash' 6 years ago

The new dash board looks interesting and the avatars and primetime stuff looks promising. More like it MS.
  • Muddtallica 6 years ago

Did they really just waste seconds of my life showing me bloody Uno? This section of the conference hasn't been that inspiring...
  • Asundai 6 years ago

index.html
  • JaysonG 6 years ago

Portal 2 - Megaton!
  • Asundai 6 years ago

Because everyone wants to play Uno.

Gah.
  • smelly 6 years ago

>anyone got a feed on images from the conference?

screwattack.com 's video stream is working fine for me.

• MilkYMoO 6 years ago

Theres a great stream of this conference on ign.
  • seasidebaz 6 years ago

So, putting Miis into Buzz...

Is this SERIOUSLY what Rare have been working on?

lol. Just, lol.
  • smelly 6 years ago

I'm gonna put 5 quid on a new controller being announced in the last 5 minutes...

• Moz 6 years ago

anyone got a feed on images from the conference?
  • MilkYMoO 6 years ago

this looks like a laugh.

• Spikeman4 6 years ago

Finally group chat...how many years has it taken??
  • Moz 6 years ago

sounds like a very cut down version of home at that!!
  • SeesThroughAll 6 years ago

"Where else but in XBox could you intriduce avatars?"

"Entirely new! Live Party!"

ROFL
  • MouzerMalti 6 years ago

the game show looks cool... but but HOW THE HECK CAN YOU PLAY BIG BROTHER ONLINE!

o_0
  • grantc7 6 years ago

I have to say though, avatar shit is samey as hell. Were are not all kids.
  • MilkYMoO 6 years ago

But it was nearly perfect already.

• bad09 6 years ago

Avatars and selling clothes. I'm depressed :(
  • MilkYMoO 6 years ago

Where the hell did this come from?.
  • MouzerMalti 6 years ago

It's ripped off from home too, how original :)
  • bad09 6 years ago

Man they killed my dashboard!!! UGLY!!

The silence of the audience said it all.....
  • Zomoniac 6 years ago

Don't call them 'channels' you pillock, that's just asking for trouble, as if the Mii wasn't enough.
  • Tomo 6 years ago

My oh mii.
  • grantc7 6 years ago

zomg!! new intehface!!
  • Asundai 6 years ago

So.. what's so good about this new interface? Looks very boring.
  • smelly 6 years ago

New dashboard looks alreet though...

• JaysonG 6 years ago

XMB Ripoff!!
  • smelly 6 years ago

"He's announcing that the 360 will be "completely reinvented through software". New interface, then. Video."

yip.. here it comes...

• MouzerMalti 6 years ago

why would anyone download series off live or PSN in that case?

you can download them off any site for free or buy the DVD at a very low price from online retail stores.
  • smelly 6 years ago

"including innovation in social experiences."

he's about to announce the wiimote rip off!

• Rash' 6 years ago

"360 will outsell Ps3 this hardware generation"

I'll bet you now that won't happen.
  • gamerbunny 6 years ago

Mattrick: "I'm willing to declare here today that Xbox 360 will sell more consoles worldwide this generation than PS3."

Just don't go on Gaf and say that.....
  • byron_hinson 6 years ago

yeah that quote will come and bite him in the ass no doubt

>BEST FUCKING GRAPHICS EVER *

* If you like grey (and brown)

• smelly 6 years ago

""I'm willing to declare here today that Xbox 360 will sell more consoles worldwide this generation than PS3.""

LOL!

• Zomoniac 6 years ago

So the three big releases given so far are WORLDWIDE dates. Please take note, Sony and Nintendo.
  • MrWonderstuff 6 years ago

The IGN feed is fab.
  • Rash' 6 years ago

"The most anticipate game on any platform"

That's a matter of opinion!

• Rash' 6 years ago

Gears 2!!! Anybody else see a theme here?
  • SuperBas 6 years ago

Take your GoW and shove it up your ass. I want new games announced!
  • Rash' 6 years ago

Resi 5 and now Fable 2. I thought the theme was everybody???
  • Zomoniac 6 years ago

E-Pro? Girl's Gone Grey? GO YOUR OWN WAY?! Almost makes up for GnR being in it.

RE5 release date Friday 13th March 2009. Spooky etc.
  • Jandurin 6 years ago

Firday the 13th, not 9th...
  • smelly 6 years ago

it looked alreet to me..

much better than fable 2 which is looking kinda boring (and i liked the first one)

Mind you.. BIRD POO!

• bad09 6 years ago

Hmm, Resi 5 looks....just like resi 4 - resident arcade :(

/ thinks back to survival horror....
  • smelly 6 years ago

Screwattack has a decent stream working...

resi 5 simulataneous worldwide release march 09..

cool! i'll get it for my birfday!

• JaysonG 6 years ago

African spade?

Racists...

• SeesThroughAll 6 years ago

Did you know 360 has games like GTA and Call of Duty? Well it does, says Don.

Comedy Gold. I love the way multiplatform games get treated in general as if they were 360 exclusive.
  • Rash' 6 years ago

Exclusive DLC for Fallout 3. That's the hardcore appeased. Game looks dull as hell, mind.
  • peak_performance 6 years ago

R-r-r-robot h-h-h-h-horse a-armooooooour
  • patchbox360 6 years ago

conf_det...

watch live
  • Asundai 6 years ago

K, so it updates in IE7 for me, not in Firefox 3.
  • Pirotic 6 years ago

javascript error stops this auto-refreshing in firefox 3

[Break on this error] } else if(oDoc.documentElement.tagName == "parsererror")
  • Jandurin 6 years ago

"AKA There are 3 different endings based on how many people you kill."

Hey, better than Bioshock! LOL
  • consignia 6 years ago

"You can be good, bad, or "anything in-between".

AKA There are 3 different endings based on how many people you kill.
  • Jandurin 6 years ago

"Far be it from me to complain but the article's not updating in Safari and the times are all wrong. "

same for me. IE7
  • username 6 years ago

• Rash' 6 years ago

Kill people "ridiculously violently"... way to appeal to everybody.
  • smelly 6 years ago

""This is a huge game with over a 100 hours of gameplay." You can go to the top of the Washington Monument if you can be bothered."

"if you can be bothered" ?!??!?! Not really trying to sell it to me there is he?

• Jandurin 6 years ago

20. Duran Duran Hungry Like the Wolf 1980s

The Go-Go's We Got the Beat 1980s

Where's Rick Astley?
  • PanStre 6 years ago

I thought the page would update without my having to refresh

EUROGAMER YOU LIE

>IGN's is working.

not for me it isnt.. still "trying to connect"

• Rash' 6 years ago

Great start with theme: Fallout 3...
  • Asundai 6 years ago

Hmm. This page doesn't automagically refresh for me. Or if it does, not very frequently.
  • Xerx3s 6 years ago

IGN's is working.
  • Rash' 6 years ago

Theme of the conference: "deliver to everyone"

• MrWonderstuff 6 years ago

Teh internet has died. Just tried checking out some live feeds...they aint working. It all seems a bit archaic having it written down. Be good to see it live.
  • Xerx3s 6 years ago

"Xerx3s, I know what you mean. There's been that certain "meh" quality leading up to this year's event. Lets see. "

Yep. I think that what is worth playing has been pretty much decided around the beginning of this year. I can't honestly see what they would announce that wouldn't make me go meh.
  • DarthKebab 6 years ago

Only 7/10 for Street Talk?

Sony bias EG
  • Rash' 6 years ago

"ign livewire is online btw"

Nice one. Thanks!

• Xerx3s 6 years ago

ign livewire is online btw.
  • Jandurin 6 years ago

"oh you lose buddy"

NICE.
  • Xerx3s 6 years ago

"Everything bathed in green."

HULK SMASH!!!

/runs away for batman

• Kbone28 6 years ago

I dont think its fair to say Xbox Live is a rip off. For the service and funtionality, i think its a fair deal.

WOW subscriptions - now theyre a rip off.

I think there should be more treats in line for gold subsubscribers though, a free rental on a movie every so often etc.

Is there any chance MS can make a decent headset too?? They SUCK.

• Rash' 6 years ago

WinterSnowblind, Maybe not the owners but certainly MS, as a percentage of the royalities would be off to Sony.
  • Mudo 6 years ago

OR ANYTHING?!
  • Xerx3s 6 years ago

My awesome prediction powers tell me that there will be nothing interesting tonight.
  • Rash' 6 years ago

" ...another add-on for the Xbox 360."

Well the remote will take care of that.
  • WinterSnowblind 6 years ago

@Confounder

I'm sure an updated version of MGS4, or even the SAME MGS4 would still annoy them. Either way, it hasn't stopped the PS3 fanboys jumping in joy for games like Bioshock, so why would it be different with MGS? And why would releasing a blu-ray add on make 360 owners look stupid? Maybe the three people who bought the HD-DVD add on, but I don't follow you there.

As for your other comment, I'm not so sure what you mean? There isn't a single FPS coming out on the 360 this year, that I can think of, and the 360 easily has the biggest and most varied game library, out of all three console at the moment. The PS3 has more FPS games coming.

Fable 2, Banjo Kazooie, Viva Pinata, Gears 2, Halo Wars.. yeah.. Nothing but FPS'.

If you're going to launch generic fanboy attacks against the 360, at least have them make sense.
  • Rash' 6 years ago

Experience tells us that most of the rumours will be true. MGS4 on 360 at this stage is a little hopeful (though not completely unlikely).
  • spongebob 6 years ago

How many minutes is it now? Can't wait!
  • Zomoniac 6 years ago

Since they're clearly trying to capture the casual market, can we please have another game that uses these fucking Scene It things I have lying around wasting space?
  • mazzl 6 years ago

i just want a silent xb0x 360

and motion sensing... if only for vt3
  • BadByte 6 years ago

My prediction: Europe will be asked to bend over and told to smile while being sodomized with an old 1980s IBM keyboard.
  • tomkuryakin 6 years ago

Come on, what does anyone want from something like this? A cheaper console and more games in the very near future. Just to be clear, I'm not specifically getting at MS: Nintendo needs more (good) games and Sony could do with delivering on both of those.
  • justMe 6 years ago

@kangarootoo

I just mentioned it because it now looks certain that MS is unveiling a new "wiimote killer" controller...
  • Lexx87 6 years ago

I'm going to miss this :( Stupid exercise class.
  • WinterSnowblind 6 years ago

@mkreku

How can they "steal" a genre? You'll be claiming Nintendo is ripping off Microsoft for releasing an FPS next?

And from what we've seen so far, MS have nothing to do with the motion controller, but even if they did, they've been making them since before even Nintendo.And let's not forget the trophies system and PSN and the VC/Wii Ware in general. Don't pretend like Microsoft is the only one guilty of "copying" the competitiors.

I'm hoping for an MGS4 announcement, not because I really want to play the game on the 360, but just to spite the fanboys. It would be hilarious if it happened. But just seeing more Fable and Banjo will make me happy. IMO, MS have the most promising show, unless Nintendo announce some really big, new, unexpected stuff.
  • Britesparc 6 years ago

I predict Avatars, Xbox Remote, Halo, Lips, casual games, and Cliffy B with a chainsaw.

Stuff we haven't heard of already? Erm... Lionhead announce The Movies 2? Perfect Dark 2? Bungie announce a new IP? Duke Forever as Xbox exclusive, this Christmas?

Personally, I wanna see the first Perfect Dark on XBLA.
  • miiiguel 6 years ago

More "ooooh MS is da evil" fellow gamers that actual 360 owners here...

lol!
  • DAN.E.B 6 years ago

left for dead demo please!

• Retroid 6 years ago

I predict a riot.
  • phoopipe 6 years ago

@drumbaby

Totally agree,then if its as dire as i expect i can sell my ps3 to my brother.

@Deagle:

Sorry, wasn't aimed at you :) I know yours had a hint of sarcasm, it was aimed at the other person who seems to think it's happening ;)

Also, it wasn't that knee-jerk, there are better games to look forward to... Assuming Alan Wake will ever actually appear ;)
  • Machetazo 6 years ago

@Deagle - another game was mentioned numerous months after PDZ was released, by the author of the books. Nothing on that since, though. So, you never know.
  • kangarootoo 6 years ago

@justMe

Its not quite clear what that Wii MotionPlus add-on provides. To the cynical eye it appears to suggest it makes a Wiimote as accurate as it should have been in the first place (or at least as accurate as people expected it to be, which is not the same thing).

Seems like a hard thing to sell to customer, as you would be pushed to convince people of its value. And will games require it? Or will they just be harder to control without it?

/watches that space
  • Vin 6 years ago

Waggle can fuck off.

Give me some new, EPIC ip.
  • darleysam 6 years ago

I'm expecting Halo Chronicles to be announced. Wingnut Interactive have been working on that for a while now. Outside of Halo Wars, it's got to be the next furthest-along Halo game being made. Other than that, I would absolutely love for Alan Wake to be shown off in a big way.
  • tobsen 6 years ago

Nothing will happen.
  • phoopipe 6 years ago

I will be happy if they announce uk based call centres..

Hewwoooooooo welllcarmmm toooo hexbox support my names Sharna.

Swines.
  • seasidebaz 6 years ago

MGS4 isn't coming to the 360, get over it.

Konami announced that it's a PS3 exclusive.
  • drumbaby 6 years ago

Msoft, just hurry it the fuck up, and let Sony on the stage.
  • JediMasterMalik 6 years ago

• mkreku 6 years ago

So uh.. Miis stolen from Nintendo and Lips stolen from Sony?

I just want to see more of Alan Wake. Please.
  • BadBoyBonner 6 years ago

• justMe 6 years ago

Nintendo Announces Wii MotionPlus
  • Skooch 6 years ago

WAKE up and read my LIPS, for GOW'd sake....or you might miss some big games announcements :-D
  • monkie_king 6 years ago

JMM, it's like 30 quid for a whole year, are you really missing out on the 360 just for that? It's less than the price of a game. To put it in perspective, most people pay something like that per month for their phone/broadband/TV.

/prays the Sonic mascot parade rumours are true!

edit: if those crappy avatars turn out to be real, MS can fuck right off.

• Machetazo 6 years ago

Fyi, and possible enjoyment, Joystiq has a series of bingo cards available for the press conferences and announcements. If you've got a printer nearby, and want to fill time between the megatons...
  • DAN.E.B 6 years ago

KILLER INSTICT 3 come on rare do it!
  • JediMasterMalik 6 years ago

BS3! LOL! I IZ ZO GLEVER!
  • themorganator 6 years ago

Hosted servers for all LIVE titles would be nice but I'm living in a dream land if I think that's coming tonight!

MGS4 would be a significant blow to the BS3 if they could work the deal!
  • seasidebaz 6 years ago

Wanted: Decent games that we don't know about.

Actuality: Games we already know about. And waggle sticks.
  • Vin 6 years ago

I'm so fucking up for this.
  • afgavinstan 6 years ago

Xbox 720, now that would be a right larf.

Ahem, seriously... I'd like more 'gamers' games, let Nintendo have the casual crowd, anything done to compete against them in that way may smack of copying their ideas.

But thats another argument for another day.

I'm just gonna enjoy ze liveblog. No refreshing, right?
  • Skooch 6 years ago

Ooh, me likes announcyments...
  • JediMasterMalik 6 years ago

They don't need to make Gold free, they need to make some form of online gaming free. Whether that means making Gold free, or giving online gaming to silver users is up to them.

I should make clear, it's very unlikely this will happen, but it would certainly ensure me buying a 360 if it did, and would really challenge Sony on the whole free online play thing.
  • gabsta69 6 years ago

what i would like is for them to make Xbox live gold service free of charge and MGS4, what we will getis a lovely demo of guitar quero being played by a MS suit then a Sonic Unleashed Mascot parade.

18:25 By Robert Purchese

Hello from the West Hall at the LA Convention Center. Microsoft has built an auditorium in the massive space usually occupied by a thousand competing publisher booths and filled it with seats, screens and green.

18:26 By Robert Purchese

As you enter the auditorium you can scribble on a few tablets or pick up a bottle of water. Those who scribbled get to see their doodles on the big screen in the centre as they take their seats. To the left there are three smaller LCDs and on the right there are some couches. Everything bathed in green.

18:26 By Robert Purchese

We're scheduled to begin in about 25 minutes, but we'll let you know if anything happens in the meantime.

18:26 By Robert Purchese

To warm us up, they're showing an "Xbox 360 Street Talk" video where members of the public answer questions about games. What does pwn mean? What does melee mean? What does RPG mean? It's amusing. 7/10.

18:26 By Robert Purchese

Now they're showing video interviews with people about their favourite games - Rock Band, Guitar Hero, etc - and how good they are at them. Then people show us their "game faces" - the winning and losing expressions. "I can't believe I would ever lose," says one. Oh you lose buddy.

18:26 By Robert Purchese

Now the video appears to have looped. The kids play Xbox 360 24/7 apparently. Apart from when they're being interviewed about playing Xbox 360, I suppose. Now we're getting PUMPING BEATS and seem to be properly in pre-show limbo mode. We'll let you know if there's any more hardcore lifestyle video action.

18:29 By Robert Purchese

The three-piece suite on the right of the stage, then. For that karaoke game, perhaps. In other good news, we've got the autocue behind us so we'll be able to tell you which bits are feebly choreographed. (Other than this live coverage, obviously.)

18:31 By Robert Purchese

What are the odds on Peter Moore turning up to demo an EA game? Come back Peter! We miss you! Still nothing happening, although if anything the music is louder.

18:31 By Robert Purchese

Ooh! "Please welcome Don Mattrick."

18:32 By Robert Purchese

Don sashays onto the stage and welcomes us to E3 and "Xbox 360 - home to the biggest blockbusters" and fun and games for all the family. Did you know 360 has games like GTA and Call of Duty? Well it does, says Don.

18:33 By Robert Purchese

The success of Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Scene It and Uno proves that 360 can deliver "to everyone", says Don. He says he's often asked if Microsoft can "deliver to everyone" while continuing to satisfy its core audience. He says it can.

18:33 By Robert Purchese

New creative experience, new games and other new stuff will be shown this morning/evening, he says, including Resi 5, Fable 2 and Gears of War 2.

18:34 By Robert Purchese

"Fasten your seatbelts, let's get started." Some sort of video with a 50s vibe - a robot floats around an American kitchen. VO: "Peace, freedom and bacon-and-eggs. Seems perfect. But what is it not?" "Where will you be when the atomic bombs fall?" Aha, it's a Fallout comedy ad.

18:35 By Robert Purchese

"And Sally - in the vault, you might meet that special someone!" "Reserve your family spot in a state of the art underground vault today!" The camera pulls back out of the TV to show it sitting in a destroyed landscape.

18:36 By Robert Purchese

Todd Howard, game director from Bethesda, takes the stage. That was half a trailer, apparently, with the rest going online later today.

18:40 By Robert Purchese

They're going to demo Fallout 3 live. "Please reconnect controller". Always a good start. We come out of the pause menu in first-person looking at a post-apocalyptic Washington DC. We're on a highway. Todd takes it to third-person and switches back. A floating ibot "broadcasting the word of the enclave" goes past.

18:38 By Robert Purchese

Todd pulls up his PipBoy and checks out his weapons and other stuff on the green monochrome screen. He puts it away and wanders under an overpass towards a smashed up bus. The textures are very grubby. Right bumper uses VATS, allowing Todd to queue up sniper scope attacks on various body parts.

18:39 By Robert Purchese

Switches to grenades and queues up an attack that takes out two more guys. The last guy needs a shotgun to chunkify his leg to sort through him. Now he takes on a turret. He goes for it with a laser rifle but points out he could hack a nearby computer to disable it if he preferred. Then he vaporises one of its minders.

18:40 By Robert Purchese

"This is a huge game with over a 100 hours of gameplay." You can go to the top of the Washington Monument if you can be bothered. The draw distance is fabulous. He tosses a pulse grenade at a sentry bot, which EMPs the hapless robot. "This is a game that reacts to how you play it." You can be good, bad, or "anything in-between".

18:41 By Robert Purchese

A helicopter - "The Enclave, they've spotted me" - comes into view and lands. Todd switches to the Fatman, a mini nuclear bomb catapult, and uses VATS to pause and line-up the nuke attack, which obliterates them. Throughout the demo we've had jolly marching band music. "Hope you enjoy it all this fall," he says, ending the demo.

18:41 By Robert Purchese

"We love Xbox Live Marketplace," he adds. "We're happy to announce that we're going to be doing substantial DLC for Fallout 3 and it will be exclusive to Xbox 360 and Windows PC."

18:43 By Robert Purchese

Jun Takeuchi from Capcom turns up. He's the producer of Resident Evil 5, in case you didn't know. Jun's excellent translator, who was at Captivate last month, is going to show us "the world's first public playable demo of Resident Evil 5". He says he's very grateful for the opportunity to show it.

18:44 By Robert Purchese

Chris Redfield wanders through a building - it's very grey and decrepit - and encounters an African zombie with a spade, who gets shot a bit and then bubbles to death. Then he shoots some other folks. One of them gets back up. Chris has joined a new organisation called the BSAA, says Takeuchi.

18:44 By Robert Purchese

The HUD shows health for Chris and Sheva. The online co-op mode is being shown now, with co-producer Kawata-san joining in as Sheva.

18:45 By Robert Purchese

You can see both their health and weapon selections on-screen at all times. Sheva is also in the BSAA (VSAA maybe?) based in Africa. Sheva runs at Chris, who boosts her over a huge jump. She then opens up a barrel with a knife and picks up some ammo and then drops into a room and starts shooting people with a machinegun.

18:46 By Robert Purchese

Chris meanwhile snipes from a distance, rather inexpertly it must be said. Headshot them, pleb! Now we're back to Sheva's screen, and she's run out of bullets, so she's pulled out her handgun. Every time she runs over an inventory object she gets an X-button prompt to pick it up.

18:46 By Robert Purchese

Takeuchi observes that it's important for the two players to team up to overcome obstacles. To demonstrate this, Chris kicks away at a metal door and Sheva shoots out the lock from the other side. Aha, a cut-scene with the man wielding a chainsaw.

18:47 By Robert Purchese

He's a variation on a Resi 4 enemy, says Takeuchi. They're facing him in a narrow corridor...but alas we're out of time for the demo! So we won't get to see that. However, if you hang around Eurogamer later it's possible you'll get to read about that in more detail.

18:48 By Robert Purchese

"Resident Evil 5 will be available in a simultaneous worldwide release...on Friday 13th March, 2009," including Europe and North America, says Takuechi. That's 12th March in Japan though, says the screen.

18:49 By Robert Purchese

They're not letting up. Here's Peter Molyneux. "Fable 2 is finished," he says and laughs. "All the innovation and drama has come together and we've finished it." He's going to show us it, but reminds us first that it's an RPG with lots of invention and creativity.

18:49 By Robert Purchese

We're being shown the opening moments. A snow-covered landscape with some sort of stupid robin or something flying through bare branches past casts and over meadows. Everything caked in snow. And through to a giant city surrounded by a huge wall. Inside the citizens bustle about streets warmed by lanterns.

18:50 By Robert Purchese

Then the bird thing (not a robin! Exclusive) lets loose a drop of ice that falls down onto a small boy who goes "ooh, yuck". "That's how the story starts," says Molyneux. You grow from a kid into a full-blown hero - you can be a boy or girl of course. Molyneux's going to show us "one more innovation".

18:51 By Robert Purchese

It's the dog! "The dog is an incredible AI agent!" says Molyneux. They're going to show co-op over Live, though. As you go through the world you see purple orbs. They represent your friends playing their SP game, and you can go up to them and invite them in and bang, they're in. "No lobbies, just that immediacy of being able to call people into your world."

18:52 By Robert Purchese

"Why do I want to do this?" Your hero is unique, right, says Molyneux. Your world is unique, too. What you do determines how things unfold. When you invite people in they can observe how your world has unfolded. You can hang out with friends, chat people up, and do other things besides hacking and slashing.

18:53 By Robert Purchese

Molyneux's introducing us to his wife now. "I chose her because she's got some strange tastes." He says his house is rubbish because he has been questing. Here's Molyneux's son. He's been growing up, he points out. As we and Molyneux's co-op buddy interact with the family, little icons appear. Funny +10. Etc.

18:53 By Robert Purchese

And that's it! One last bit of news. "We'll be out in October of this year," says Molyneux, before disappearing.

18:54 By Robert Purchese

And now we're getting Gears of War 2. "I have a rendezvous with death at some disputed barricade," says VO. "It maybe shall take my hand and lead me into his dark land and close my eyes and quench my breath. I have a rendezvous with death."

18:54 By Robert Purchese

Screw the VO - Marcus is doing meat-shield action on-screen as he heads down a staircase into a giant arena full of Locust. Huge monsters all over. Cliff Bleszinski takes the stage to thrashing guitar.

18:56 By Robert Purchese

"What's up guys?" He's holding a red controller and he's going to demo the two-player co-op campaign as Rod Ferguson plays along from backstage. They're going to "traverse a Locust sinkhole", which has "lots of nasties and maybe a surprise at the bottom". Marcus roadie-runs past a burning building and looks over a massive smoke-covered city as a crane falls down.

18:57 By Robert Purchese

Whoops, the demo restarts. Are you really playing, Cliff? Ah, looks like they are. Marcus runs down a crane that's collapsed into a helpful bridge. The graphics are spectacular - a ocean of smoke on the horizon as Marcus runs into battle and meat-shields a Locust. A new one swirling a grenade or something around his head turns up and needs fixing.

18:58 By Robert Purchese

Now some sort of spider monster about 50-feet-tall turns up and fires on Marcus. He uses the Hammer of Dawn on its face. More Locust in the tattered and torn pages of Gears' world. Little scampery gits emerge and a Locust with a flamethrower. He doesn't last long. "Nice," says Backseat Dom.

18:58 By Robert Purchese

Marcus has got the flamethrower and toasts his enemies, but he's taking fire so he's still on the move. On a platform, hooks swing up onto the railings and Locust try and climb up from below. Dom chainsaws one of them and Marcus watches. The centre of the platform falls down the interior of a crumbly building and the players emerge coughing from the rubble.

19:00 By Robert Purchese

Now they're legging it along a street as one of the grenade-slingers blocks their path. Cliff does some hardcore active-reloading and then Hammer of Dawns them. Good thing, those orbital cannons. Brumak below though. He's taking down the building that Marcus and Dom are in, staring out at hundreds of Locusts swarming the entrance.

19:01 By Robert Purchese

Now Marcus and Dom are on the ground floor of the building, which seems to be on its side, escaping from the flames via an elevator that still works despite being on its side. An amusing jauntily-scored ride past scenes of destruction and the Brumak has a bead on them as soon as they exit the lift.

19:01 By Robert Purchese

Marcus reckons they should get round the side and take out the driver. Good plan. He pistol-whips a Locust and flanks the Brumak. "Let's get over there and finish it off..." "Or we could ride it." "If they can ride them, so can we." End of demo. That was a bit spectacular, Gears fans.

19:02 By Robert Purchese

"Also, another announcement..." "We have a new mode called Horde - it's a five-player co-op mode where five players can take on wave after wave of Locusts." Worldwide release date for Gears 2 is 7th November 2008.

19:03 By Robert Purchese

Don Mattrick's coming back. He's got his own theme tune and this time he's on the right of the stage. "Wow, how's that for 10.30 on Monday morning?" he says as his microphone crackles a bit angrily.

19:04 By Robert Purchese

Don's giving us a sermon about rockstar grandmas taking over our living rooms and family game nights. He says "we're registering our biggest year ever". He cites a PWC report that games are "the leading driver of all entertainment spending" and describes it as a "breathtaking achievement".

19:05 By Robert Purchese

Everyone's thriving, says Don, who wants to now show us the growth "and how Xbox 360 is fuelling it". Hardware is at 10.3 million US sales compared to 10.2 million of Wii and 5 million plus ahead of PS3. 2.7 billion dollars in software sales in the last 12 months, he says.

19:05 By Robert Purchese

Third-party game revenue on 360 "outpaced the Wii and PS3 combined" in the last 12 months, he says. "I'm willing to declare here today that Xbox 360 will sell more consoles worldwide this generation than PS3."

19:06 By Robert Purchese

Crikey. Now he's talking Xbox Live. Over 12 million members apparently. "A new member joins every 5 seconds." He says "for the very first time" that consumers have spent "more than one billion dollars on Xbox Live". (Yeah, because it's bloody impossible to unsubscribe.)

19:07 By Robert Purchese

He names a few of their TV and film partners, and says the library has "reached more than 10,000 movies and TV shows". On-demand high-def stuff delivery makes them bigger than any satellite or cable provider in this regard, he reckons.

19:08 By Robert Purchese

He says movies and TV shows account for a third of all Xbox Live paid downloads in the USA. He has NBC and Universal Studios to add to the list of supporters today, he says, as a bunch of clips show us The Office US, Battlestar Galactica, Monk and that.

19:09 By Robert Purchese

Movie reel shows The Fast And The Furious, The Scorpion King, Bourne Supremacy, American Pie, Riddick and others. Thanks to Universal. That's a US audience thing starting today.

19:09 By Robert Purchese

Movies from Renown Studios, MGM and Constantin will be available from Europe starting today. "There you have it - that's how we're fuelling our growth and giving you more entertainment choices."

19:10 By Robert Purchese

Now he's introducing John Schappert, head of Live, Software and Services. You may remember we spoke to John at GDC and I tried to steal his Zune. Schappert says that the 360 was "designed for continuous innovation", including innovation in social experiences.

19:10 By Robert Purchese

Excellent, some lifestyle photography of people holding 360 pads and people using the video camera to chat to each other. "This is the magic of software, this is what allows us to drive the evolution of games and entertainment, and this is what continues to separate us from the rest of the pack," says Schappert.

19:10 By Robert Purchese

19:12 By Robert Purchese

It's the avatars thing. Menu items appear in the top left - Videos, Games, Primetime, Community, My Xbox buttons. In the middle are cards with your Gamercard (with an avatar), and a bunch of links to Photos, Videos and Games libraries. There's a "5 Friends Online" thing in top-right and an X360 icon showing controller guide icon in the bottom right.

19:13 By Robert Purchese

Avatars. "Tons of hairstyles, clothes and accessories to choose from," he says. The avatar screen has a Schappert man in front of a mirror, and he switches his shirt for a green one. Schappert's avatar looks a bit like a Mii but taller and a bit more Playmobil.

19:13 By Robert Purchese

It's going to be easy for avatars to be integrated in games, says the video that's now running. "You're going to see it in games all over the place" and "on websites". There'll be fashion trends, he says.

19:14 By Robert Purchese

A bunch of avatars sit on a farm or something. Loads of avatars hold up a flag saying 360. Brilliant. "We're integrating avatars across the new Xbox experience," says Schappert. He's going through the interface a bit more. The Gamercard is really simple - the main menu items on the dash are like an iTunes carousel.

19:15 By Robert Purchese

The Community page has a bunch of avatars on a sort of street page. They're going to have something called "Live Party", says Schappert. "Right now it looks like Phil is sharing some photos with Don and Shane," says Schappert. "Let's join the party." You can now stream photos "with everyone on your party", he says.

19:16 By Robert Purchese

They're partnering with Endemol (yes, the Big Brother lot) to do...er, something. Some sort of Xbox community project called "Primetime". "1 vs. 100" is a massive multiplayer quiz show on Xbox Live.

19:20 By Robert Purchese

A live host will allow you to join in an avatar-driven multiplayer quiz game. "Xbox Live Primetime combines the best of television and the best of games," says Schappert. There will be real prizes. The dashboard update that introduces all this will launch in autumn.

19:18 By Robert Purchese

Schappert reckons one day you'll "turn on your Xbox to see what's on Live" in the same way people use TV. New game: UNO Rush. Launch it for everyone in the party at the touch of a button. The avatars stand around the UNO game laughing and shrugging and blinking and being mildly derivative.

19:20 By Robert Purchese

Now Schappert's onto Xbox Live Arcade. He announces a new version of Geometry Wars "coming next month from Bizarre Creations and Activision". Looks like it has elements of Geometry Wars Waves from PGR4 and Geometry Wars Galaxies. The graphics are more elaborately swirly and vapory than they were. "Geometry Wars 2: Retro Evolved." Looks like co-operative play is in.

19:20 By Robert Purchese

Galaga Legions is next. Ships at the bottom of the screen shoot lots of swarmy enemies attacking from above, the sides, and so on. Looping conga lines of enemies. Interesting attack patterns. Exclusively on XBLA next month.

19:21 By Robert Purchese

Special guest speaker for our next one. It's GLADoS!

19:21 By Robert Purchese

Portal: Still Alive - a 2008 exclusive for Xbox 360.

19:21 By Robert Purchese

"Due to previous tests being solvable, we are currently manufacturing new test chambers for only the most qualified subjects." It's coming to XBLA with new levels and Achievements this autumn - presumably then it's an expanded version of the one in Orange Box.

19:23 By Robert Purchese

Now we've got some sort of South Park project for XBLA, but we're not shown much about it. The line-up's going to get "much bigger this fall" thanks to games like these and the Xbox Live Community Games announced at GDC. Colosseum will be one of the first, plus Hot Potato Online, Word Soup and others.

19:23 By Robert Purchese

Schappert says we'll get these games as part of the dashboard update in the autumn. They're going to announce one more media partnership now - an exclusive partnership with Netflix.

19:24 By Robert Purchese

You (well, Americo-you) will be able to watch "tens of thousands" of movies from the Netflix library. Schappert's added some films to his instant-watch queue - again it's like an iTunes carousel in terms of viewing it on the brand new dashboard. You can even share this stuff with your Live Party.

19:24 By Robert Purchese

He hits the guide button and it brings up an overlay in the centre of the screen, but we can only glimpse it. We're seeing the Xbox Live chaps tomorrow so we'll try and fill you in with a more elaborate summary then. And now Shane Kim's coming to the stage. "Hello everybody and welcome to the party," says Shane.

19:25 By Robert Purchese

He's name-checking games they have. POP, COD, Tomb Raider, NFS, PES. "The list goes on and on and on." It's not the only thing. Aha, he's talking about the GTA downloadable episode. Oh, but he's only mentioning it, not showing it. Shame. 1000+ titles for the platform by the end of 2008, says Kim.

19:27 By Robert Purchese

He's got his friends at Rare in to show games. Looks like Banjo, collecting parts and taking them to his workshop to turn them into contraptions he can fly and swim around with and so on. Some wicked-looking tasks - hitting dominos with an aeroplane among them. And now Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise. OH GOD IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

19:28 By Robert Purchese

Looks like you can set up some sort of minecart track. Pinartic and desert look wicked. There's a gorilla. And some penguins and a camel. Tigers! Pinata vision allows you to scan cards on Vision Camera and get new pinatas.

19:29 By Robert Purchese

That looked like a rhino. That's the end of the demo. Sorry that wasn't more detailed - I was paralysed with joy. They're going to release the original Banjo-Kazooie game (or games, perhaps) on Xbox Live Arcade, too. All of those games are out this year, says Kim. Viva Pinata is out on 5th September, of course. PRE-ORDER NOW. Aha, and here's some sort of quiz game using the Scene It buzzers.

19:30 By Robert Purchese

"Scene It? Box Office Smash!" with new buzzers, new trivia and new lifestyle video to promote it. Kim seems happy with this, even though its abbreviation is SIBOS! Krome Studios is developing it and there will be DLC and regional questions, among other things.

19:31 By Robert Purchese

The next game is called "You're In The Movies" and is from Codemasters and Zoe Mode exclusively for 360. This "gets you off the couch", he says. It'll never catch on, Shane.

19:33 By Robert Purchese

Kim makes a joke about people not doing flash photography because "the actors are very touchy about that". We thought we'd mention it because it was abysmal. On-screen Don is trying to run to match a silhouette. The camera records his running action and on-screen he is seen running and stretching a bungee rope in clown trousers. That's the most bizarre thing I've ever seen.

19:34 By Robert Purchese

"This is a party I don't want to go to," Ellie says in my ear. Schappert's on-screen swatting bugs. It's as if EyeToy Play never happened. It's got him overlaid on the action pretty nicely though and seems to have picked up his outline accurately. Next up is Genevieve who has to, er, dance to the music.

19:34 By Robert Purchese

She's got to match gestures. She's now freestyling, and posing, and matching gestures and hand-claps again. All the while these demos go on a wacky New York-sounding voice-over instructs and encourages the player.

19:36 By Robert Purchese

The console will now compile the footage of the players into a movie so we can watch it. It's like a deliberately crumby 50s b-movie starring Schappert, Mattrick and Genevieve, with an iguana chasing them as they wave, dance and pretend-jog through car-parks, kitchens, bathrooms and caves.

19:37 By Robert Purchese

This would probably be good if you were drunk, actually. And possibly on GHB. Kim applauds his colleagues as they leave. "The fun...doesn't stop there," he points out. You can edit those movies and then share them with your friends. The game will include a Live Vision camera when it ships later this year, says Kim.

19:39 By Robert Purchese

Music games have taken the world by storm, says Kim and "Xbox 360 is the clear leader" thanks to an average of 3.5m downloaded songs. 80 per cent of all songs downloaded across all platforms are on 360, says Kim. We're going to be shown Guitar Hero: World Tour by Kai Huang from RedOctane.

19:40 By Robert Purchese

Huang says that everyone loves Guitar Hero. He's rambling a bit, to be honest. New wireless drum kits with cymbals, touch-slide guitar, online band career, eight-player battle-of-the-bands. On disc, greatest number of master tracks ever - over 85 songs with "tons more" at launch and beyond (presumably as DLC).

19:41 By Robert Purchese

Music Studio and GH Tunes will allow "a community of aspiring artists" to make and share stuff. Two more special announcements today: Xbox 360 gamers will get an REM Track Pack featuring three songs from their new album when World Tour launches, he says. Also, while Van Halen and The Eagles are already exclusive, Metallica is "joining Guitar Hero in a huge way". New album Death Magnetic will be a full

19:41 By Robert Purchese

That'll be for Guitar Hero III when the album comes out and for World Tour when the game comes out this fall.

19:42 By Robert Purchese

Kim's back. He's announcing a "brand new music party experience". Presumably this is Lips. This is the most lifestyle video I have ever seen. A man and a woman on opposite ends of the couch CONNECT VIA THE MEDIUM OF KARAOKE.

19:43 By Robert Purchese

He's singing to her. On-screen it looks like it's got SingStar-style lyrics and pitch monitors. The microphones are wireless. They plug in a Zune and can access stuff from it.

19:44 By Robert Purchese

Lips it is. From iNiS. That video made me want to kill people. "Available this holiday." Keiichi Yano from iNiS is on-screen. "I hope you guys are ready to have some fun," he says.

19:45 By Robert Purchese

You can sing from your own music collection, Yano points out. Imagine plugging in a Zune or iPod and singing along to all your songs, he says. The wireless mics have lights on them that light up and also have motion sensors so you can shake your hands and pretend they're tambourines and so on. Now, er, Duffy is here to sing along to one of her songs. Blimey.

19:46 By Robert Purchese

She's actually on the stage singing the song. I think something's wrong with her voice - maybe she needs a lozenge.

19:47 By Robert Purchese

Apparently that's normal. "I've got that top - it's from Monsoon," says E3 fashion correspondent Ellie Gibson. Duffy says she doesn't know what you do but you do it well under your spee-eee-eeell. Shane Kim isn't tapping his foot. Feud? Feud.

19:48 By Robert Purchese

The interface is very SingStar, but there's some other bits. An orange line throbs above the lyrics and pitch meter, and there's a white singer silhouette on the right with a red circle radiating out from it occasionally. The score's at the top of the screen. Duffy's doing pretty well. And she's out. "Woo!" she says.

19:49 By Robert Purchese

Will Kim go in for the cheek-kiss? He doesn't. He thanks her for her performance and says she's on the Lips disc. She says she's never had as much fun singing that song. "Thank you for the amazing pleasure." You bet love. Lips will be the must-have game this holiday, says Kim.

19:49 By Robert Purchese

Now he's talking about Rock Band 2. "It will premiere exclusively on Xbox 360," he points out, which we already knew but it's always nice to repeat these things. Alex from Harmonix is on stage. I can't remember how to spell his surname. I wonder if he had a fight with Kai Huang backstage.

19:51 By Robert Purchese

The single most important aspect is the music, he says, and shows the entire set-list on-screen. All are original master recordings. We can't make much out from here but he's going to point out a few. Guns N' Roses' "Shacklers Revenge" from the new album Chinese Democracy will go with Rock Band 2 first. Bob Dylan's on there with "Tangled Up In Blue".

19:52 By Robert Purchese

"Finally," there's AC/DC's music to look forward to. As with Bob Dylan and Guns, this is the first time the band's done music in a game, he says. Pearl Jam, Jane's Addiction, Megadeth, Interpol, Beck and a bunch of others get a quick name-check as he talks it up. There will also be 20 free bonus tracks "this fall".

19:58 By Robert Purchese

All of the original downloadable tracks from RB1 are "forward-compatible" with Rock Band 2. You can also export "almost all of those tracks" from RB1 into RB2, "so no need for disc-swapping". Almost all? Anyway, over 500 songs by holiday 2008 for Rock Band 2, he adds, before leaving the stage.

19:58 By Robert Purchese

Don Mattrick is back, thanking all of the people who came before him. "Before we close today, I'd like to welcome one final guest to the stage." It's Yoichi Wada from Square Enix. His avatar is wearing a suit, amusingly. "Thank you very much for inviting me to such an exciting and inspiring briefing," says Wada.

19:59 By Robert Purchese

He's struggling with the autocue a bit but to be fair it's not his first language. And the guy isn't scrolling it up very fast. Square Enix has a strong partnership with Microsoft, says Wada. He wants the gaming communities of Japan, North America and Europe to enjoy the fruits of this "growing partnership".

19:59 By Robert Purchese

Last June they announced Infinite Undiscovery, a new Star Ocean and Last Remnant for 360 (not all exclusive, mind). Infinite Undiscovery, as previously announced, is due out on 2nd Sept in US, 5th Sept in Europe and 11th Sept in Japan and Asia.

19:59 By Robert Purchese

Tri-Ace developed Infinite Undiscovery, and they're also doing Star Ocean: The Last Hope, which is due out in spring 2009. The Last Remnant is "currently being developed by a team of Square Enix's dynamic creators". Due out on 360 first this holiday season. Last Remnant is also due out on Games for Windows - i.e. PC.

20:00 By Robert Purchese

Don's talking us out now, hand in pocket, slick as you like. Blockbuster games, new experiences, etc. "No better way to deliver fun and entertainment to your living room" than 360. Ooh, interrupted by Wadawho has "one more big announcement".

20:01 By Robert Purchese

A dragon-flappy thing flies through a canyon in a sexy CG video. On the horizon are plumes of smoke under a gigantic moon. Cocoon. Pulse. Says the screen. Now a giant city of flying-saucer domes and a dropship showers it with flying robot naughties. Now some sort of massive galactic robotic zooms through a red cloud. This is mentalist CG.

20:02 By Robert Purchese

Stormtrooper-style enemies line up and...a very Final Fantasy-looking cast of characters get involved in massive CG battles. This has to be FFXIII or something like it. The battle system looks very similar to the one shown at Sony's conference a while ago.

20:03 By Robert Purchese

A disc falls into one of the characters' hands and a little pixie thing springs out of it. Now there's some sort of mystical pond and a woman on a harp wearing an ostrich on her head. Now a series of platforms in a forest with a woman standing on it. Music's soaring all over the place and the camera's floating through all sorts of angsty scenes. Final Fantasy XIII.

20:03 By Robert Purchese

"Available on Xbox 360 at launch in North America and Europe."

20:04 By Robert Purchese

Wada looks pretty happy with himself. "At long last, the day we've all been waiting for has arrived. It gives me great pleasure to unveil this to you today." Wada says that doing a 360 version of FFXIII will "allow us to provide the game to even more fans in the two regions of North America and Europe, and we're currently working hard on its development".

20:05 By Robert Purchese

Wada thanks Don Mattrick for letting him show it off and us for our "continued support of Square Enix". "Wow," says Mattrick. "Final Fantasy XIII is an astonishing addition to our growing array of RPG titles."

20:05 By Robert Purchese

"Final Fantasy joins a long list of former PlayStation franchises finding a new home on Xbox 360...Thank you all for coming." That's it. We're out. See you tomorrow for Nintendo and Sony.