Mario Kart Wii Reader Review
- First impressions: 6/10
- After an hour or so: 9/10
The Steering Wheel
- First impressions: impossible/10
- After an hour or so: amazing/10
Motorbikes (and wheelies)
- ...are the best addition to MarioKart since slipstreaming
Things I love
- The MarioKart channel with the statistical graphs of Worldwide player's track times
- The fact that when you play ghost data, it shows a steering wheel icon if the ghost player used it. That way you can feel better about being 20 seconds off the pace of the cheaty cheating World Champ using an analogue stick
- Doing wheelies
- The new grow-big stompy stomp powerup
- Despite somewhat radical changes, this definitely still feels like MarioKart
- That when playing 2 player on-line, only player one gets their stats recorded (boo!)
- The pinball track from the DS version didn't make it in
Hmmm, well apparently you can't submit small bite-sized reviews even though by writing a longer one I'd pretty much be repeating everything already written in the official Eurogamer review (only with worse grammar). So feel free to stop reading now.
If you're still with me, I'll take this opportunity to say that Rainbow Road is sufficiently insane, the new Mine Kart track has a great little short cut, and if you watch a replay of the World Champ doing that snow-boarding level, you'll see him pull off some utterly ridiculous short cuts.
Is this enough now?
Apparently not - good Lord, what do they want? Essays? Right then, what else? Uhhh... Diddy Kong has got possibly the most annoying voice in the Universe - avoid playing him like the plague. I've also only been playing the game since Friday night (so 2 and a bit days so far) and I've already had my first MarioKart dream. That's either a really good or really bad sign, depending on how you feel about that sort of thing.
Hooray! I've written enough! Thanks for reading, bye!
9 / 10