Live Interview: Tom Bramwell Finished

Eurogamer will soon be launching a new Live Text Interview feature where we allow you to interview prominent game developers!

It works quite simply - you log in, post a question, and then if there's time, it's not a repeat and it's not too offensive, the developer will answer it for you.

Exciting, eh? We're lining up some exciting people to do this in the near future, but in order to make sure everything runs smoothly we've got someone less exciting for you to practice on: a certain Tom Bramwell, Deputy Editor of this here website.

Tom has worked at Eurogamer for nearly eight years and therefore knows a fair old amount about games, the games industry and how to conceal financial irregularities! So ask him anything you like and he'll do his best to answer.

In order to give the system a fair workout, the Live Text Interview will last for 30 minutes, providing anyone turns up and also providing, obviously, that the entire system doesn't crash and put us out of business.

Thanks to everyone for asking questions - the transcript for the interview can be found below.

Latest comments (10)

• morriss 7 years ago

Damn! 4 mins too late! :(
  • morriss 7 years ago

Krudster says you're rubbish at games and he literally holds your hand when you play them. Is this true? If he's lying will you fight him?
  • moggsy 7 years ago

I'm finding the reverse timeline confusing (linking answers to the wrong questions), but then I am simple.

[MH]

I agree with that. Maybe I'm simple too...
  • Mike_Hunt 7 years ago

Feedback: The time next to the questions in the "questions you've asked" section is the same for all questions, even though they're were asked at different times.

[MH]
  • Mike_Hunt 7 years ago

[MH]
  • TheDifficult3rdAlbum 7 years ago

Where's the sausage rolls? That's my question.
  • krudster 7 years ago

WHERE'S THE BREAD?!!
  • The_Pope 7 years ago

"So, come back here at 1pm, and help us grill Tom."

Grilled Tom-ato? Does that come with mushrooms...
  • rauper 7 years ago

I'm excited. Exciting!
  • krudster 7 years ago

Which brand of razor do you prefer? Is Gilette really the best a man can get?

12:58 By Craig Munro

Hello! We have officially started. Question answers coming soon!

12:58 By Craig Munro

Q%Vroom!%6721%
Have you guys got Rock Band yet?

12:59 By Craig Munro

A: We haven't, but we have all played it at various trade shows, and it seems to be very good. I am, of course, the best at it. And I say that without any fear of contradiction, as I'm the only one here being interviewed.

13:00 By Craig Munro

Q%reddevil93%57018%
What game are you most looking forward to this Christmas?

13:01 By Craig Munro

A: Super Mario Galaxy and Assassin's Creed, mostly because most of the big games have already come out.

13:01 By Craig Munro

Q%Mike_Hunt%1512%
If you had to sleep with one forumite, which one would you choose, and why?

13:02 By Craig Munro

A: Razz, definitely.

13:02 By Craig Munro

A: He's always nice to me at parties, and he has a beautiful smile.

13:02 By Craig Munro

Q%sharpkiddie%1475%
Who would win in a fight between Sam Fisher and Solid Snake?

13:03 By Craig Munro

A: Solid Snake, obviously, because he knows lots about guns, and doesn't sound like he's swallowed a wasp.

13:03 By Craig Munro

Q%The_Pope%856%
Which people have had the greatest influence on you during your long and illustrious games industry career?

13:05 By Craig Munro

A: Well, if you're asking about the influences on my writing, then I'm most influenced with the people I work with most closely, because I'm able to observe their successes and failures, and prey on the things they do that they find aesthetically or structurally exciting. To name names, people like Kristan, Ellie, Ollie Welsh. Dozens really. John Walker, obviously. I've probably taken most notice of George Orwell -- I always liked his description of writers as self-absorbed and lazy.

13:06 By Craig Munro

A: Craig can't type for shit.

13:06 By Craig Munro

Q%The_Pope%856%
If you quit Eurogamer today, where would you like to most work come Monday and why?

13:06 By Craig Munro

A: I would most like to work at Nintendo in Japan. I'd have to learn to speak Japanese, and become talented first.

13:07 By Craig Munro

Q%Mike_Hunt%1512%
Now that mouse is working at Eurogamer again, does he have to move back in with you, or has that clause been removed from his contract?

13:07 By Craig Munro

A: Fortunately for him it's no longer critical that we share a bed. Eurogamer will succeed without our loving.

13:08 By Craig Munro

Q%TheDifficult3rdAlbum%1660%
Is the Wii Fit going to be any good in your opinion? Is it even a "Game"? Surely it's just a gimmick for girls.

13:08 By Craig Munro

A: I don't honestly know, because I haven't used it personally, but I've been told by people who aren't usually completely wrong that it's quite an impressive and useful tool to use. Whether it'll have any sort of longevity is still to be determined.

13:09 By Craig Munro

Q%sharpkiddie%1475%
Ratchet and Clank or Jak and Daxter?

13:09 By Craig Munro

A: Jak and Daxter, because I'm more of a fan of platforming than shooting. I know it sounds weird because they're all about shooting, but the first one is one of my favourite platformers.

13:09 By Craig Munro

Q%brokenkey%92%
What is the solution for peace in the middle east?

13:10 By Craig Munro

A: Less murdering.

13:10 By Craig Munro

Q%Nick%6%
Which is the greatest gangster film ever made?

13:11 By Craig Munro

A: Gangster film? Probably the Godfather, if it counts. It's definitely not Lock, Stock, and 2 Smoking Barrels.

13:12 By Craig Munro

Q%Shinji%8%
What game are you most likely to pick up and play just for fun, right now?

13:12 By Craig Munro

A: Picross DS at the moment, and PixelJunk Racers.

13:12 By Craig Munro

Q%ToonMonkey%53541%
Who will win the Hatton vs Mayweather fight?

13:12 By Craig Munro

A: Craigy answers: Hitman Hatton all the way!

13:13 By Craig Munro

Q%TheDifficult3rdAlbum%1660%
Why do all promo photos involving the next gen consoles have to be located in loft-style apartments with wooden floorboards and feature models with overly styled hair cuts and bare feet?

13:15 By Craig Munro

A: Because obviously the marketers want it to look appealing.

13:15 By Craig Munro

Q%Danbojones%28405%
Is 8-0 really that great a result or does it merely expose the team's lacklustre performance in all other matches?

13:15 By Craig Munro

A: Is P45 the answer Danbojones is looking for?

13:16 By Craig Munro

A: I believe Rafa is starting to lose it, but I'd rather watch a team that is erratically exciting rather than a constantly dull team.

13:16 By Craig Munro

Q%RMXtreme%15643%
When playing/reviewing a game do you mostly see the good or the bad parts of the game?

13:17 By Craig Munro

A: I think that depends on how innovative the game is initially, because if it's quite unoriginal, you tend to dwell on the negative, and gradually start to appreciate the positive as it starts to diverge from existing archetypes. However, a particularly innovative game often clouds your thoughts with positivity. For example, Assassin's Creed initially got me very excitied, and it was only upon reflection that I started to find some of it's more repetitive tendencies more alarming.

13:18 By Craig Munro

Q%Mike_Hunt%1512%
Out of the 'current gen' consoles which one of yours has the least dust on it?

13:19 By Craig Munro

A: At the moment the PS3, because all the other ones are in the office, but I keep that one at home to watch films on and play PixelJunk Racers (purely because I'm not reviewing much on it at the moment).

13:19 By Craig Munro

Q%sharpkiddie%1475%
How many hours of gameplay do you get in a typical week?

13:21 By Craig Munro

A: More work, probably more than 20, but it does depend on a number of things. For leisure I don't really keep track. If I was trying to rack up hours, it wouldn't really be a hobby. When it comes to reviewing a game, I play it until it's either reached its conclusion, or I've reached a point where I'm able to offer a judgement that adequately reflects the games' core competencies and failures, which is a waffly way of saying "I play it until I think I've seen enough." As an example, I played PC Gears of War for 12 hours before I wrote anything, and played it more the next day.

13:22 By Craig Munro

Q%reddevil93%57018%
Why pixeljunk racers?

13:22 By Craig Munro

A: It was made by a friend of a friend, and I hadn't read much about it, and I like moreish little games about trying to do slightly better each time until you reach an arbitrary mark of competency.

13:24 By Craig Munro

Q%ToonMonkey%53541%
Who do you think writes the best gaming reviews, excluding your mob?

13:24 By Craig Munro

A: Magazine: Edge. Reviewer: PC Zone's Jon Blyth. He also has a better beard than me.

13:24 By Craig Munro

Q%NoCodeNed2%13476%
have you/would you ever like to make a game?

13:25 By Craig Munro

A: I never had made a game, but have thought about it often. I will do one day, though. I'm not sure what type of game, but I expect it wouldn't include dropships.

13:26 By Craig Munro

Q%RMXtreme%15643%
Which recent developments in the games industry are you worried about?

13:27 By Craig Munro

A: I think all downloadable content should be free. If you want to make money afterwards, build another game.

13:27 By Craig Munro

Q%The_Pope%856%
Forza 2 or PGR4?

13:28 By Craig Munro

A: PGR4. It's not that I don't like Forza, but it's just that I can't play it well enough.

13:28 By Craig Munro

Q%pjmaybe%212%
How long do you see yourself doing what you're doing now?

13:29 By Craig Munro

A: For about another five minutes, because I've got to go do some more work.

13:29 By Craig Munro

Q%Mike_Hunt%1512%
A fly is flying in the opposite direction to a moving car. The fly hits the car head-on. As the fly strikes the front of the car it's direction direction of movement changes through 180 degrees because it hits the windscreen and continues as an amorphous blob of fly-goo on the front of the car.

At the instant it changes direction, the fly must be stationary and because, at that instant it is also stuck on to the front of the car, the car must also be stationary. So does the fly actually stop the car?

13:30 By Craig Munro

A: No, he doesn't.

13:31 By Craig Munro

Q%JetSetWilly%16618%
How has the expansion of the gaming audience with Wii & DS affected how you approach gaming journalism?

13:32 By Craig Munro

A: I don't think it's likely to until we notice a change in the tenor of our readership. However, I am more mindful of the wider potential of so-called 'Casual Games' to appeal to core games, and I've never felt bad about championing things, just because they aren't as hardcore as some of the more popular games amongst our readership. The fact I was very positive about Wii Sports suggest that I'm open to pretty much anything, provided it entertains me consistently, and that I can see some depth.

13:33 By Craig Munro

Q%krudster%858%
You're just shy of 24, so just getting to the stage where gaming nostalgia kicks in. Which platform are you most fond of from your gaming 'youth'?

13:35 By Craig Munro

A: That is a top question. What is the answer? Super Nintendo, because that's the only one I had (and it was better than all of the other ones). It also has more than half of my top 10 all-time games on it.

13:35 By Craig Munro

That concludes our livetext test! Thanks for all of your questions.