PlayStation 3 games are beginning to penetrate the Japanese software charts, and finally nudge the ageing PS2 out of the equation.
Six titles for the flagship Sony console (as many as for the Wii) littered the list, according to Media Create and Enterbrain figures on NeoGAF. These included new entries Way of the Samurai 3 (2) and Resistance 2 (5), plus old-hands GTA IV (11), Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec III (14), FIFA 09 (18) and LittleBigPlanet (22).
Way of the Samurai 3 (Samuraidou 3) is the first series instalment to appear on PS3. The action game follows a stray warrior who must join either the peasants or old noble houses of Feudal Japan and lead them to victory. No word on a western release.
However, the PlayStation 3 still finished a distant fourth in the hardware stakes behind regional champions DSi, PSP and Wii, respectively.
The Xbox 360, unfortunately, counted no software in the top 30. Hardware sales dropped by around 4000 from last week.
Kirby DS remained top of the software pops, with new entries on the platform from Little Magician's Magic Adventure at three, a Mystery Dungeon game at four, a DS game we can't find a translation for at five, and Rockman 3 at six.
Half of the entire top 30 was occupied by games for the DS.
- Hoshi no Kirby: Ultra Super Deluxe (DS) - 97,000 (lifetime: 363,000)
- Samuraidou 3 (PS3) - 81,000
- Tongari Boushi to Mahou no 365 Nichi (DS) - 72,000
- Fushigi no Dungeon Fuurai no Shiren DS 2: Sabaku no Majou (DS) - 45,000 Resistance 2 (PS3) - 33,000
- DS Nishimura Kyoutarou Suspense 2 Shintantei Series (DS) - 33,000
- Ryuusei no Rockman 3: Black Ace (DS) - 33,000
- Rhythm Tengoku Gold (DS) - 30,000 (lifetime: 1,159,000)
- Wagamama Fashion Girls Mode (DS) - 30,000 (lifetime: 183,000)
- Pokémon Platinum (DS) - 27,000 (lifetime: 1,917,000)
- DSi - 85,327
- PSP - 38,153
- Wii - 26,787
- PS3 - 17,448
- 360 - 7,983
- PS2 - 5,421
- DS Lite - 3,559