GDC: Shigeru Miyamoto's keynote address Finished

Another day, another keynote - at 18.30 GMT (10.30 PST), Nintendo's creative legend Shigeru Miyamoto will be taking the stage to address the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, and we will of course be providing our customary Live Text coverage of the keynote.

As with Sony's presentation yesterday, this is the first time Nintendo has had a chance to set out its stall in public since the launch of Wii - but unlike Sony, Nintendo has managed to keep a tight lid on the content of Miyamoto's speech, so frankly we don't have a clue what he's going to talk about.

Previous Nintendo speeches at GDC have been a mixed bag - always stirring, fascinating and downright emotive, but not always what you might call news-laden. Some years, you get a massive announcement; Wi- Fi Connection and the move into online gaming was first revealed at GDC two years ago. Other years, you get a senior Nintendo designer talking about what games mean to him, where he thinks they're going and what it was like when he used to stay up all night and eat a lot of pizza.

We'll be kicking off Live Text around half six, and hopefully avoiding some of the Internet connection problems which caused hiccups with our Phil Harrison Live Text last night - so tune in then to find out what the father of Mario and Link (by different mothers, presumably) has in store for us!

Latest comments  (302)

• Hugundo 9 years ago

No one will ever read this.
  • Artemis_Matsas 10 years ago

I know that this may be out of subject, but this guy's photo IS scary!!!
  • SeesThroughAll 10 years ago

JMM wrote Phil is not a marketting man smelly.

Malik, get in touch with reality. Yes he is.
  • MORZTAN 10 years ago

300th!!1\0/
  • aabyssx 10 years ago

OMG, this keynote was boring like hell! :/
  • septimus 10 years ago

Worst. Keynote. Ever.

Anyone want to buy a Wii w/ 3 games, ton of VC games, Wii Points, 2 wiimotes/nunchucks and a classic controller in perfect condition?

Crap release list (leaked from earlier) has pushed me over the edge.

/kinda joking... :(
  • spongebob 10 years ago

It was a rare opportunity to get a personal insight into the mind of one of the greatest creators in our field.

What the heck did you learn from this personal insight? That some museum is a nice place and uses DS's? That his wife now plays video games? Yeah, it was really exciting. Any old chap at the local pub would tell more interesting stories of his life.
  • nick_f 10 years ago

Note to bored people: it's the GAME DEVELOPERS CONFERENCE, not E3.

I thought it was interesting (and quite amusing).

If you didn't get anything out of it, ask what you were expecting?

Miyamoto to come on stage and play previously unseen levels of Mario Galaxy?

Now that would have been a disappointment.

You'll see the games eventually. But this is a rare chance to see Miyamoto talk about one of the biggest innovations in the business and how it happened.
  • Talha 10 years ago

I feel like I can write a J-pop song based on the presentation:

Love!Love!Love!Love!
    (My Wii)
    Play!Play!Play!Play!
    (with my Wii)
    Me is great, and so is my Mii
    There is Wii for everybody

Fill!Fill!Fill!Fill!
    (your panties)
    Call!Call!Call!Call!
    (your aunties)
    With happiness and glee
    You just about pee

Peace!Peace!Peace!Peace!
    (in the world)
    Games!Games!Games!Games!
    (for the girls)
    She play and you will see
    How warm cuddly is Nin-ty

Hi!Hi!Hi!Hi!
    (all grannies)
    Jump!Jump!Jump!Jump!
    (every nanny)
    No GTA and no shootees
    Just Mario and friends for eternity

Wow! That's certainly a Cranberries-worthy lyric! Right now I am busy composing the melody on my cell and will upload soon. Special 25% discount to EG subsribers! On second thoughts, Gwen Stefani might also make good use of it!
  • smelly 10 years ago

this article sums up his keypoints VERY well:

Such as how the current audience only seems to want one type of game (shooters) and so he wanted to broaden that scope to people who'd want other types of games, yadda yadda..

good read (if you cant be arsed watching the whole hour long presnetation)
  • smelly 10 years ago

Well why not watch the video online?
  • Xerx3s 10 years ago

Its not a matter of recap Xerx3s; the recap of EG ain't so bad, but it loses SO much, it's one of those "you have to be there" things.

Seems I missed out again.
  • floppylobster 10 years ago

Super Mario Galaxy controls -
    If the nunchuck controls the spin of the globe by analog stick while you point at the screen and jump and hit with remote then that will work. Otherwise yes, it will be confusing.
  • 10 years ago

Watched Miyamoto's Keynote address on another site and it conveys SO MUCH more than a few piddling lines of text.

Get the video feed down on EG TV next time lads. It's the only way to cover shows and events like this.

===================================

Nintendo: No New Information at GDC

=====================================
  • Overlush 10 years ago

AAAAAAAAAANYHOOO:

Tonight's TV tells me that my car has NOTHING to do with global warming!!! Solar activity heats the seas which release more CO2, which is a consequence of global temparature changes, not a cause of it. Seems that Gore forgot to point out on his graphs that there's an 800 yr difference between the trend of global temparature and CO2 levels, with temparature leading the way. Hah! Tell that to Brown when the fooker charges me by the mile on my 3 litre monster. Grrrrrr!

/plans road trip to Nuerburgring (or however you want to spell the foooker;)
  • Overlush 10 years ago

@smelly

"All consoles are one trick pony's as far as im concerned. Their "trick" being to play games."

Clever retort. However, am I to invest the price of 5 games in something that MAY only give me 5 games?
  • Overlush 10 years ago

/clicks on link to article

Sheesh, that dude looks like he's being ass fucked against a glass window.

Did he buy a Euro PS3?

/looks in wallet and feels shame at sight of PS3 receipt
  • rock27gr 10 years ago

• Penguinzoot 10 years ago

Recap? Anyone?

Well, first of all, the Earth cooled, then the dinosaurs came, then .....

/falls off chair.
  • Xerx3s 10 years ago

Recap? Anyone?
  • malloc 10 years ago

i'm a bit worried that SMG will confuse me and I'll be blindly jumping all over the place to all of a sudden land upside down and not know where on earth i am or get killed of by a monster.

Nice video, although it's the other games that interest me more.
  • GitSomE_UK 10 years ago

Reading the transcript I quite like his approach and I get the point he's trying to make.

It's clear he's got an interest in seeing what makes some people like games and others not, what inspires people to play, how does creativity and innovation influence or is the other way round etc. etc.

Quite a good speech IMO.

I'll say this for Nint, they somehow always seem to get a more human touch accross as opposed to the corporate assault you get from Sony and MS.
  • rock27gr 10 years ago

@dirigiblebill

If you watch the video you'll see that the speech WAS interesting, particularly to developers I would assume. This is what they do at Conferences.

@Smelly
    I don't think his speech would have been different if it wasn't for the Stock issue; as you said, the video reveals that the speech was well prepared and interesting; and Nintendo don't usually make big announcements in GDC.

Unfortunately, reading a few lines does not give the proper picture of the actual speech, and because there aren't big announcements, it is easy to see why people reading these came to the conclusion that it was a lame speech, particularly after Sony used its speech as a Marketing tool to announce products.
  • mkreku 10 years ago

What an utter waste of time and space.
  • smelly 10 years ago

Just watched the presentation. If you WATCH/LISTEN to it, then it makes MUCH more sense. He's talking to developers about his vision in designing games and how he thinks games design should be about 1 persons vision in making the whole game (as opposed to design by comittee), etc etc.

Its quite interesting if you watch it with a games developer hat on.
  • smelly 10 years ago

@dirigiblebill: When he signed up for the keynote it was BEFORE the ruling. No doubt he had another speech planned and changed at the last minute..

>this keynote reminded me of Sony's last year E3,

Difference is E3 *was* there as a marketting tool for presentations!
  • orakio 10 years ago

I'm quite dissapointed, but oh well. Got a ton of GC games I still have to buy and try on my wii.
  • dirigiblebill 10 years ago

Ah right, fair dos.
  • MadMirko 10 years ago

Why give a keynote speech at all then, other than to bolster Nintendo's image?

Because Miyamoto agreed to do the speech before the deal was made? It would have been nicer of the Japanese government to wait until after GDC, but I guess they don't care much for games. :)
  • SeesThroughAll 10 years ago

Thanks for the link, MadMirko. That certainly makes the lack of new announcements clear to me.
  • YourMessageHere 10 years ago

hey any Eurogamer staff,

Please don't stop reporting speeches like this. Irrespective of what the content of the speech actually is, this gives not only info on what a speech says but also a feel for how a speech is being delivered and how it's being received that's far superior to a simple transcript, and probably to any recording. I wish all speeches were reported like this.
  • dirigiblebill 10 years ago

@rock27gr

Sure, but as far as I can tell he didn't say much of interest to developers either.

/refers you to 'bullcrap'
  • rock27gr 10 years ago

Because its a DEVELOPERS CONFERENCE, not a consumer show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not there for maketing or product anouncing. Do you go to Doctor Conferences to buy your medication???
  • dirigiblebill 10 years ago

@Mirko

'You know why that is, they have been forbidden to talk about anything that wasn't already announced, because of a billion dollar stock trade.'

Why give a keynote speech at all then, other than to bolster Nintendo's image?
  • MadMirko 10 years ago

To be fair, this keynote reminded me of Sony's last year E3, when they were gloating about how PS1 changed the games industry, sales numbers, blah blah blah.

You may call that gloating arrogantly, but it's still true, isn't it? If the truth is flattering, aren't you allowed to talk about it anymore? Given the circumstances, what choice was there?

• MadMirko 10 years ago

Webcast of the keynote, with the SMG scenes near the end. They look tasty. :)
  • SeesThroughAll 10 years ago

Self-flattering from the part of Nintendo, rather than personally from Myiamoto, as he is representing the brand, not himself (or so I believe).

Nintendo as a whole (my comment isn't targeted at Miyamoto) pretty much acts just as arrogantly about the Wii. I'd rather have seen a couple of concrete announcements instead of a confirmation of yet another Mario game that everybody was already expecting.
  • BartonFink 10 years ago

Jaysus one ray of light in an otherwise snorefest. That said Mario Galaxy this year in Europe? I will believe it when I see it.

What was self-flattering?

I guess it's easy to think so, because what he accomplished is just amazing, still I didn't see anything to suggest he praised himself. Be fair.
  • SeesThroughAll 10 years ago

No bullcrap about "Game 3.0", just self-flattering bullcrap and "wife-o-meter" bullcrap.
  • macksed 10 years ago

"Don't ask stupid question"
    dont ask A stupid question.
    and it wasnt - one doesn't and never will know what to believe

[bit slow eh?]
  • Ihya 10 years ago

Ok Nintendo do a lot of great things but I have keyboard face after that.
  • MadMirko 10 years ago

All in all it was better than could be expected. He was legally bound not to reveal anything new because of that Japanese governemnt stock deal, but he still managed to wow the developers in attendance. Speaks for him, I'd say.

At least there was no bullcrap like "Game 3.0", and with confirmation of SMG, I'm ok with the whole charade.
  • dirigiblebill 10 years ago

@Carrybagma

By 'stuff like this' you mean bits of development history we know already, interspersed with updates on Mrs Miyamoto's gaming tendencies?
  • JediMasterMalik 10 years ago

No. Definitely exclusive. Don't ask stupid questions.
  • macksed 10 years ago

is littlebigplanet defo a ps3 exclusive? - because sony dont own media molecule - right? - it could be like when sony showed off assasins creed
  • Carrybagma 10 years ago

@Les: :o) Nah - they are interesting really, moreso than some of their games.
  • Machetazo 10 years ago

@Carrybagma:
    Rare's Michael Boulton is scheduled to host a session regarding Viva Pinata's shader graphics technologies. I don't know who's covering it, though.
  • NthSimulachum 10 years ago

"interesting" does not imply "good":)

I kid, I kid. Viva has combated me.
  • JediMasterMalik 10 years ago

You seem to be the only one who enjoyed that, don't blame me for making fun.
  • Carrybagma 10 years ago

@JediMM: Are you trying to do an Albundy?
  • Les 10 years ago

"What about RARE?"

I thought you said "interesting" developers... ;p
  • Matsuo 10 years ago

So, indeed, there wasn't much to be announced huh? :p
    I should start believing internet rumors :D
  • NthSimulachum 10 years ago

I think its "convert" rather than "combat".

"We must combat the unbelievers"...?
  • Carrybagma 10 years ago

I enjoyed that.

I'd much rather stuff like this than the typical corporate bollocks, marketing-disguised-as-news and fanboy food. It's kind of what I imagine a GDC to be about. I wonder how much of the Mario-face-thingy stuff in SM64 made it into the Mii designer?

Any other interesting developers presenting at the GDC? What about the people behind Okami? What about RARE?
  • SeesThroughAll 10 years ago

Well, it is the GDC, so they shouldn't really be focusing too much on new game releases.

Oh.

I hope Nintendo doesn't spend the next 5 years just bragging about how cool the Wii is. This keynote is starting to remind me of the Ninty from the old Ninty-SEGA wars days...
  • floW 10 years ago

"theyre clapping cos its ended, and standing cos they want to leave"

hahahahahahahahahaha

maybe they were sleepwalking and the clapping was to wake them up....
  • old_skool 10 years ago

yep , that wife-o-meter just went limp
  • MORZTAN 10 years ago

"If we can combat my wife we can combat anyone"

Someone's not getting any tonight.
  • kissthestick 10 years ago

finishhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeed
  • JediMasterMalik 10 years ago

Shirly they didn't give him a standing ovation for that, please tell me one of you snored just before! :p
  • macksed 10 years ago

" Standing ovation.

Ok, now I definitely know that the text stream was lacking."

rofl - theyre clapping cos its ended, and standing cos they want to leave
  • old_skool 10 years ago

If we can combat my wife we can combat anyone. Standing ovation. The end!

What type of ending is that ??
  • Hugundo 10 years ago

Man what a rollercoaster!

Standing ovation.

Ok, now I definitely know that the text stream was lacking.
  • old_skool 10 years ago

lol
  • paul_haine 10 years ago

I get as far as the bit where they're seating everyone. Doesn't sound like I've missed much though.
  • dirigiblebill 10 years ago

The feed cuts out on me at 'One of the stewards is wearing a kilt.' Seems to be the high point so far :)

Applause. Cheers.

Hm, I guess the live text stream is lacking.
  • Machetazo 10 years ago

About that Miyamoto photo on the front page: I didn't realise he was an extra in The Wicker Man!
    On CVG it looks like he's just pwned someone...
  • gingerlink 10 years ago

yer, was what i thought....
  • Kazzahdrane 10 years ago

I swear, if MP3 isn't out before Xmas then I'd better get a date with Samus free when I can eventually buy it.

Either that or an operation to rework my skeleton to be more flexible for Morph Ball technology.
  • MadMirko 10 years ago

Says you'll be able to play Mario Galaxy this year. [Hooray, an announcement! - Ed.]

I guess it's more of an acknowledgement, but wooohooo. :)
  • old_skool 10 years ago

@dirigiblebill

Don't worry , you not missing much...
  • JediMasterMalik 10 years ago

So a game we expected this year will be playable this year, what an announcement.
  • macksed 10 years ago

he said we can play it this year, not released this year.... conspiracy blossom
  • holydrone 10 years ago

yaaaaaawn
  • dirigiblebill 10 years ago

I'm having to siphon coverage out of the comments thread as the feed won't refresh (overloaded?). The piss-taking here is worth it though :)

Says you'll be able to play Mario Galaxy this year

Best keynote ever!
  • Kazzahdrane 10 years ago

If he announced "I've bought new trousers" people would lap it up.

I love the Wii, but I think the chances of a real announcement are unlikely. We're still waiting for loads of Wii/DS games that have been out in America for donkeys anyway.
  • OnlyMe 10 years ago

I'm not sure if it even qualifies as an announcement, though.
  • gingerlink 10 years ago

hey, some form of announcement!
  • Kazzahdrane 10 years ago

haha too bad Pac-man, Shiggsy wins! :D
  • MadMirko 10 years ago

Working on a new Mii channel where you can compare Miis and enter contests.

It's the 2nd coming! ;)
  • JediMasterMalik 10 years ago

Mii BEAUTY PAGENTS CONFIRMED!
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 10 years ago

AN ANNOUCEMENT?!! That's it. I quit.
  • JediMasterMalik 10 years ago

They have nothing to show? Eh? forget all that!

TIME-TRAVEL!
  • Machetazo 10 years ago

@JMM: I'm afraid that's an impossibility, friend. For you see, unlike Phil and his portfolio of multiple unveilings, this just hasn't prompted the PR company to forward press releases, or issue NDA/embargo notices, on local media. Wonder why? /falls akip, too.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 10 years ago

Please announce at least something!

Don't make me do it again!
  • MadMirko 10 years ago

I know he's not allowed to talk about future events because of the stock thing, but he should have just cancelled instead.

I guess there would have been cancelling fees he didn't care about.

TIME-TRAVEL
  • Eraysor 10 years ago

Please announce at least something!
  • Darkuss 10 years ago

snore...zzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZzzz
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 10 years ago

new kind of realism people hadn't experienced before
  • Machetazo 10 years ago

There's a new 1up Yours GDC mini-show-audio-thing up. It has interviews and Live/Home comparison. When's the next GI/EG podcast coming?

Top quote from across the watery expanse:
    Shane: "Yeah, I like museums and poetry as much as the next guy, but, uh...is there anything new here?"
  • old_skool 10 years ago

How about using real life figures for a change ? Maybe that'll help with the realism part...
  • MadMirko 10 years ago

Anyway, it's interesting to see him echo some sentiments of core gamers towards Wii Sports, f.ex. I'm glad that he is actually in touch with "us", and has a realistic view of what we want.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 10 years ago

Nope, it's okay. Just peddling past achievements. Phew!
  • MadMirko 10 years ago

Oh oh, I wonder what kind of fee Nintendo has to pay if Miyamoto forgets about the embargo and actually announces something.
  • smelly 10 years ago

>So NOW he's talking about game design.

Told you so.

7 million copies now sold

Here it comes.

Sorry Mr. Mirko. ;)

"Back then there weren't chat rooms but players found ways to exchange information."

GEEKMEET!
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 10 years ago

Wait a minute. This feels dangerously like he's gearing up to an annoucement.
  • MadMirko 10 years ago

So NOW he's talking about game design.

Hey, I was going to say that.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 10 years ago

"I am making games so players themselves become more creative." Gamers are encouraged to think proactively while they're playing. "The core of this element is really communication".

I wonder if Phil Harrison is holding up a picture of LittleBigPlanet? :)
  • macksed 10 years ago

so when is he going to announce that nintendo co-developed with sony to make HOME, and that its coming to the wii, only with miis and friend codes, and nothing that will allow anyone to hurt each other? - its only a matter of time
  • BartonFink 10 years ago

Ah that explains Europe then ;)
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 10 years ago

Mario, Metroid, Super Smash Bros. and Animal Crossing all coming out 2010.
  • JediMasterMalik 10 years ago

So NOW he's talking about game design.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 10 years ago

I smiled when Anna Friel went lesser.
  • JediMasterMalik 10 years ago

Damn you pac-man, damn you to hell... (needs new prescription :p)
  • woodnotes 10 years ago

He keeps going on about 'fun' and people smiling when playing games.

But I liked Brookside and I never smiled once when watching that.
  • oceanmotion 10 years ago

Goldie Looking Chain comment. Nice one.
  • MadMirko 10 years ago

WTF is he banging on about? GameCube expanded audience? Huh?

I guess he means it was a "half-step", so it failed. I guess Bongos, dance mats, microphones also fall into that category.
  • BartonFink 10 years ago

Duct tape two together & you get their whole step towards that audience ;)

Ah it all becomes clear :D
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 10 years ago

JMM - time for glasses methinks! ;)
  • old_skool 10 years ago

yep , this is a company still at crossroads
  • djkix 10 years ago

Duct tape two together & you get their whole step towards that audience ;)
  • BartonFink 10 years ago

"GameCube was just a half-step in working towards an expanded audience."
    WTF is he banging on about? GameCube expanded audience? Huh?
  • smelly 10 years ago

Whoops.. didnt realise it had started :-)

Why bother then?
  • MadMirko 10 years ago

Ha! More comments, even without any announcement AT ALL.

XD
  • macksed 10 years ago

it would have better if he had just gone up and played games that are already out, i would be more entertained by that, especially with live text commentary.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 10 years ago

I know, I'm sorry folks but I'm going to keep on posting that whereever and whenever people complain that this is boring. We've been warned for ages that they'd be no new annoucements, so what did people expect?!

EDIT: And surely he is talking about his development philosophy?
  • BartonFink 10 years ago

Maybe.. Just Maybe.. He intended from the start to JUST talk about game development?
    That's the thing he isn't ... it's waffle.
  • bonker 10 years ago

Well I've had enuff, will check back later for the scoop.

/Finally puts Crackdown into the 360
  • JediMasterMalik 10 years ago

He's not even talking about game development though, I can't see anything here which would interest a dev.
  • BartonFink 10 years ago

Man this really is a load of old cobblers.
  • oceanmotion 10 years ago

Boring!
  • smelly 10 years ago

If they were gonna announce something, they'd use reggie.
  • JediMasterMalik 10 years ago

I feel sorry for him, I reckon he had a great speech, then had to change at the last minute and this is what he came up with. Unless he knew from the start he couldn't talk about much, then it's just shite.
  • djkix 10 years ago

Maybe they've got to lower prices instead by giving the worst fucking keynote speech in history.

EDIT: Yes, even without mentioning crabs. Giant, unfriendly ones.
  • Inquisitor 10 years ago

No its not, Shiggsy is prooving how easy it is.
  • MadMirko 10 years ago

they can't announce any new games due to the Japanese government selling off Nintendo stock. They're barred from announcing anything that could raise prices

That's going to be difficult. o_O

lmfao @ pacman :-)
  • old_skool 10 years ago

There might not be new game info but if you read carefully you will clearly see Nintendo's philosophy in game design and the entertainment industry. The Wii was clearly something radical for a company like Nintendo stucked in its old school design philosophies.

===============================

Nintendo: No New Information at GDC

================================

/fixed
  • Inquisitor 10 years ago

Fine Shinji, you like to hear about the devs history, but this speech is utter nonsense. Wifeometer, tsk.
  • macksed 10 years ago

"Ellie's speachless" - yeah, or asleep
  • djkix 10 years ago

Might have to wait til E3 for any big news:

i wish this stupid comment thing had live bloody updates

Would also be cool for the forums.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 10 years ago

Something exciting has happened. Ellie's speachless! ;)
  • woodnotes 10 years ago

This sounds like an EXIT SPEECH to me!!!

Well, he has to retire at some point.
  • MORZTAN 10 years ago

E3 2005 anyone....
  • BartonFink 10 years ago

Save the bows PMamw that link is borked
  • bonker 10 years ago

"yawn!

jeez will miyamoto stop going on about how great they are.

yeah.. so this controller is amazing etc etc

YES BUT THE WII IS JUST TWO GAMECUBES SELLOTAPED TOGETHER says Spore developer ;)

EDIT: I Didn't post in the PS3 one because it was so much more interesting, I was actually reading the text instead. Whereas this one is so BORING that I've decided to have a natter in the comments section instead.

Hence, the high post count. "

OK.
  • JediMasterMalik 10 years ago

Why is he talking about modified DS's used as maps in Japanese museums? What does this have to do with game developers or games at all?
  • macksed 10 years ago

i wish this stupid comment thing had live bloody updates

===============================

Nintendo: No New Information at GDC

===============================

/bows
  • macksed 10 years ago

i want original downloads, new channels, some good games and a general good reason to stop me regretting my purchase of a wii.

20:28.59 -
    Hmm... Is he going to announce anything new at all?

Pac-man ate my wife to the rescue!
  • BartonFink 10 years ago

Ellie is getting bored ...
  • MadMirko 10 years ago

Hence, the high post count.

Good theory, but obviously wrong. A lot of people couldn't even read the live stream, so had nothing else to do than post comments.

Hence THAT high post count.

• BartonFink 10 years ago

Is this a history lesson? Some one kick him quick we know all this already.
  • old_skool 10 years ago

Hmm, if you ask me they should start worrying about diversification...
  • MadMirko 10 years ago

Speaking of which, is "Spore" the current name of Duke Nukem Forever?
  • woodnotes 10 years ago

yawn!

jeez will miyamoto stop going on about how great they are.

yeah.. so this controller is amazing etc etc

Hence, the high post count.
  • MadMirko 10 years ago

This had/has 2/3 of the posts of the Sony-fest last night but it really shouldn't be that close :)

;)
  • smelly 10 years ago

@Shinji: That's what im hoping for/looking forward too.

Most of these guys dont seem to "get" that though. So im just trying to save them from disapointment.

(before we get 1000's of posts slagging off nintendo saying "how dare they not make announcements, they obviously havent got any games planned, the wii is doomed, etc")
  • BartonFink 10 years ago

Right I have changed my mind I am going back to watching paint dry
  • old_skool 10 years ago

do i get the impression that they're(Nintendo) still at a crossroads ?
  • Hugundo 10 years ago

"We felt we were in a long tunnel with no light at the end."

Them too.
  • Shinji 10 years ago

Indeed. Best GDC presentation I ever saw was Iwata just talking about his history in gaming and why he does what he does. Not a single iota of news in that keynote, just a really fascinating and heartfelt look at what makes creative people tick, and how Nintendo goes about making games.

Of course I'm sure most of the rabble would have said it was shit because it didn't have new game announcements in it. In broadly the same way that plenty of people would tell you the broadsheet(ish) newspapers are shit because they don't have tits on page three :)
  • bonker 10 years ago

"No, Smelly, this will have more posts because more people are interested in the Wii than the PS3. "

• smelly 10 years ago

@Shinji: That doesnt alter the fact he cant make announcements.

Therfore it makes sense that he's only gonna talk about development.

(or god forbid just talk about sales success of the wii, and games we already know about)

Dont expect any announcements, do expect an interesting talk on game development (hopefully)
  • woodnotes 10 years ago

what a complete load of bollocks keynote this is turning out to be.

The future of the industry isn't 60 year old women playing DS games.

They need to target younger, to look at the longterm.

My girlfriend thought Nintendogs was the biggest most repetetive waste of time ever, and thought Sonic was more advaned in 1991.
  • old_skool 10 years ago

i have a wife-o-meter too

/looks between legs

===============================

Nintendo: No New Information at GDC
    ===============================

/makes point
  • Shinji 10 years ago

smelly - While I agree totally with your sentiment in terms of GDC being a developer event, not a product showcase, it's only fair to point out that Harrison is actually Miyamoto's opposite number at Sony. They're both in charge of software development at their respective companies - and while his career was, er, just a touch less distinguished creatively, Harrison also comes from a development background, not a marketing / management one.
  • MadMirko 10 years ago

If Nintendo announced something like Home, you'd be calling it the second coming.

I'm not even liking the Mii idea.
  • Inquisitor 10 years ago

God, this is mundane
  • darkmorgado 10 years ago

I, for one, welcome the news about Miyamoto's domestic situation.

• MadMirko 10 years ago

No, but they sure did show some interesting games/concepts.

For a big Barbie fan? :)

"Come play at my house, I have such a nice Resitance wallpaper and will make tea for all my friends". Interesting, to say the least!
  • smelly 10 years ago

>No, but they sure did show some interesting games/concepts.

What part of this simple concept dont you understand?

Sony presentation was from a marketting guy. He was there to market stuff and promote the ps3.

Nintendos presentation is from a development guy (who's not allowed to make any announcements), he's going to talk about game development.

Cant believer there is 111 posts here already.. Afterwards everyone will be moaning about how boring nintendo was and how DARE they not announce anything. Nintendo are evil, they wont announce anything because they had nothing to announce.. hahaha the wii is shit.

There, i just saved everyone the hassle before the talk itself.
  • JediMasterMalik 10 years ago

Phil is not a marketting man smelly.
  • Hugundo 10 years ago

Phil gonna psyc him out.
  • The_Pope 10 years ago

Phil was there last year too
  • The_Pope 10 years ago

She can touch my controller any day
  • Therese 10 years ago

Just read on kotaku that Phil Harrison is on the front row!
  • djkix 10 years ago

Didn't like tetris? Dude, your wife's a freak ;D

Wife-O-Meter.

I've got one of those it goes from
    "O, you've not done what I've asked you!"
    to:
    "o, o, o, ooooooOOOOOOooo"

• JediMasterMalik 10 years ago

"These were important moments in your life. They were not important for my wife."

Z0mG Mrs. Miyamoto hatez gamezes!
  • matrim83 10 years ago

Right this is going to be a self indulgent wank fest. I'll check back tommorow to see if anything vaguely interesting came up.

Ta.
  • Hugundo 10 years ago

They were not important for my wife

Really?
  • MadMirko 10 years ago

Oooh, the Wife-O-Meter. I know about that...

Happy wives are good things!
  • Metalfish 10 years ago

Wife-O-meter?
  • smelly 10 years ago

"Erm, what's he going to say after they announced that they won't announce anything? "

Its a GAMES DEVELOPER conference. He's there to TALK to games developers, NOT to announce stuff.

He'll probably talk about how to make games (as thats what he does).. (shock horror).. Unlike sonys talk which was by a marketting man (who couldnt really talk about making games)
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 10 years ago

"Maybe you've already heard too much about it by now..."

Well, now you come to mention it...
  • jonchoo 10 years ago

@Razz, Reggie is a marketing guy. GDC is all about the developers hence why Phil did Sony's keynote and Shigsy doing Nintendo's.
  • Hugundo 10 years ago

''Players themselves seemed to only want more of the same kind of game''

Hmm
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 10 years ago

That reminds me of a joke I heard once about how if videogames effected us then those of us who played Pac-man as youngsters we would now spend our free time moving rapidly around darkenend rooms listening to electronic music eating pills.

Made me laff.
  • Razz 10 years ago

I'd much prefer to see Reggie on stage rather than Miyamoto as much as I love him. Reggie is loads more fun! :)

Pikmin...

/crosses fingers, knows it futile
  • Hugundo 10 years ago

He's showing us a photo of his garden

Did they sedate him?
  • MadMirko 10 years ago

What "art forms", I just read all over the internet that some random guy proved by searching various homepages AND NOT FINDING THE WORD "ART" on Nintendo's, that Nintendo does not think games are art.

Guess he was wrong. ;)

It's only just begun
  • Razz 10 years ago

Eurogamer and Joystiq seem to posting the same live texts o_O

Linkage

Are Joystiq copying Eurogamer's?

^^

Ditto

/passes the time

How are you 'watching' this? I've got one window with the live feed and another that's refreshing the comments and surfing the net
  • captainrentboy 10 years ago

Everyone seen the new post on UKResistance? I just did, it made me giggle somewhat....
  • Toonster 10 years ago

i give you... SUPER MARI-HOES
  • BartonFink 10 years ago

He's fallen down the toilet again. Quick someone call a plumber
  • MadMirko 10 years ago

With frickin' lasers, I guess?
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 10 years ago

First set them all on fire.
  • MadMirko 10 years ago

How does one "extinguish all noise producing devices"?
  • Rizzle 10 years ago

Re: One More time - This makes me unaccountably happy.
  • Hugundo 10 years ago

Give the crowd the finger then walk off.
  • gingerlink 10 years ago

23:00 Miyamoto turns up
    23:05 announces a destory traffic jams game based on his recent experience
  • morriss 10 years ago

Shiggsy! Shiggsy!

Mario Galaxy out NEXT MONTH!!!

I see it now:

As he is not announcing anything, he reckons he won't need to show up at all.
  • gingerlink 10 years ago

*finds a peanut*
    hey, a peanut!
  • spongebob 10 years ago

They're playing One More Time one more time. Argh.

That was a good joke! :)
  • Nemesis 10 years ago

/slow clapping begins.
  • BartonFink 10 years ago

I get the feeling Ellie really doesn't want that guy wearing a kilt.

Again from Joystiq:

Our photographer, Zack, is getting hassled for using a camera tripod in our current seating area. " My legs are longer than this tripod," he argues. "Yes sir, but your legs aren't a fire hazard," the GDC helper replies, coolly. We briefly picture his legs consumed by flames.

Excellent reply.
  • jonchoo 10 years ago

Damnit, I have a train to catch in 15 minutes. Hurry up already.

/Ponders existence.

/paints thumb
  • MadMirko 10 years ago

Nintendo came up with starting later way before Sony did.

Touche!
  • Nemesis 10 years ago

/thumbs paint

Bugger. Still wet.

/sits back down and stares some more.
  • sport 10 years ago

riveting so far - WHY'S HE WEARING A KILT!?!?! We must know.....

Nintendo in starting later then Sony did shocker. :p

Nintendo came up with starting later way before Sony did.
  • Hugundo 10 years ago

20/1 Miyamoto falling flat on his face.

Nintendo in starting later then Sony did shocker. :p
  • spongebob 10 years ago

Where's the timemachine that was in use yesterday? I want to read it all already :)

Barton, I fully agree.

... and yet, somehow I sit here again, even after yesterday's yawn fest. Oh well, as we are not expecting anything, at least we won't be disappointed.

/whoops
  • krudster 10 years ago

/predicts whooping.
  • gingerlink 10 years ago

19:00: we're bringing out zelda wii in two weeks to stop you complaining about games being delayed so long and show you why it's nescessary
  • BartonFink 10 years ago

Anybody else reckon this will be just marginally better than watching paint dry?
    Nintendo notoriously never say anything of note at these things.

===============================

Nintendo: No New Information at GDC

===============================

/dampens excitment
  • Virvel 10 years ago

My Wii, I love it, my kids love it, my wife even likes it. Thank you Miyamoto for giving us the Wii!!!

Now please anounce some nice new titles or some new network initiatives like for instance trophies, VC-ranking or perhaps VC-competitions! What about giving us the ability to play 2-player VC games networked?

Keep up the good work Nintendo!

;)
  • Sid-Nice 10 years ago

I'm going to miss all the fun as I'm about to freeze my knackers off watching the Toon.
  • bonker 10 years ago

Blimey, almost as many posts as this time last night :)
  • MadMirko 10 years ago

Joystiq also covers this, also just mentioned Daft Punk.

More Daft Punk, just like yesterday's Sony keynote -- only this time, it's the original. Perhaps it's a subtle allusion how Nintendo and Sony view each other -- old-school originality vs. technically proficient remixing. Yes, we went there

Heh. :)
  • Eraysor 10 years ago

Wii remote microphone I'm sure.
  • Sid-Nice 10 years ago

18:45. Miyamoto Spurs will not appear on a Nintendo console.

18:50. Miyamoto Mario Galaxy will be in 720p..........As it will be released in 2010 on the Wii2.
  • MadMirko 10 years ago

I bet he'll just be staring at the crowd for an hour, making funny noises.
  • gingerlink 10 years ago

yer, but multiplayer... *shifty eyes*

Stage fright?
  • haowan 10 years ago

That robot dude could very well be Destructoid - kill it with fire kthxbye
  • smelly 10 years ago

>they announced the phantom hourglass stuff earlier didn;t they?

Hardly an announcement.. That's a game which was already known about. Hardly gonna alter share price that one is it?
  • Razz 10 years ago

:D
  • morriss 10 years ago

18:30. Miyamoto Spore will not appear on a Nintendo console.

18:40. Miyamoto Chris Hecker can suck my little yellow balls.

:D

Buy Sonic.
  • captainrentboy 10 years ago

Fat guy in Mario gear huh? More pervert than games enthusiast I reckon. Especially if he didn't even go into the effort of making and glueing on a fake moustache.
  • Tweakmonkey 10 years ago

I hope the journalist in the Mario outfit isn't you Ellie.
  • PinkSpider 10 years ago

Pls to announce some rhythm games.

/Hasn't touched Wii for over 6 weeks now.
  • Hugundo 10 years ago

''There are still a few people filling into the hall''

Kick there fat asses in there.
  • macksed 10 years ago

i have a wii, now i want some games
  • drumbaby 10 years ago

Pika! Pika!
  • Tonka 10 years ago

Is this the place where the live text wilol be?
  • MORZTAN 10 years ago

W00000T!!

:D:D Next Zelda this year! Great news!
  • OnlyMe 10 years ago

I just want a genuinely epic game that's not a port of a Gamecube or PS2 game, one that can't be done with a "regular" controller successfully.

So far, the wii controller have been a gimmick, just like the DS. But what worked for the DS won't work for the Wii, because I expect more than 10 minutes of fun at a time on a full blown home console.
  • Sid-Nice 10 years ago

18:30. Miyamoto Spore will not appear on a Nintendo console.

18:40. Miyamoto Chris Hecker can suck my little yellow balls.
  • Shinji 10 years ago

Microsoft didn't do a keynote as such - they did a presentation of some of their games at a pre-GDC event. The two GDC keynotes are Harrison and Miyamoto, and there was a GDC Mobile one with Nokia as well. Last time there was a Microsoft keynote I think it was Allard two years ago, when he started talking about the whole HD Era thing for the 360.
  • Calo 10 years ago

Sonic in smash bros brawl. *finger crossed* :p
  • captainrentboy 10 years ago

Maybe soon there will be more than two games that'll actually exploit the power(graphically) of the Wii, rather than all of its developers being lazy cunts and thinking ''Yeah our game looks like utter dog shite, but hey when you wave that Wiimote around it does so and so, that'll do''
    This console is supposed to be more powerful than the Gamecube, which going from Res Evil 4 was pretty darned capable, so get some games out that show it.
    Ohh and when is Microsoft's keynote thingymajig?
  • Moonprince 10 years ago

Heh, I did indeed yupyup.

That's got to be one of the best characters in a tv program I've seen in a long while :)
  • Matsuo 10 years ago

I'll be here checking the keynote. Can't wait for it. Although I'm not expecting Miyamoto to say anything worthwhile, announcements-wise, certainly not as big an impact as Sony's. But the guy is a living legend, there just gotta be something interesting to be heard :p
  • jebus 10 years ago

@yupyup

genuine lol

gLOL
  • gingerlink 10 years ago

what did i just say?

===============================

Nintendo: No New Information at GDC

================================

Feel free to repost every 30 posts or so.
  • gingerlink 10 years ago

they announced the phantom hourglass stuff earlier didn;t they?

plus, last I'd heard the shares were just finishing being sold off to individual investors, so that may well have settles down now.

o and why has this whole stock thing only been reported on a few "lower brow" sites shall we say, but none of the others?
  • Bertie 10 years ago

It's a trumpet peripheral!
  • smelly 10 years ago

>Something that will turn the Wii from a one-trick pony

Everything else is needless fluff.
  • smelly 10 years ago

As I keep saying.. Nintendo arent allowed to make any announcements AT ALL here (which arent public knowledge already), as it could effect share price (see other news stories, i cant be bothered to go into details)

So dont expect to see or hear any new announcements.
  • mkreku 10 years ago

Something that will turn the Wii from a one-trick pony (just my humble opinion of course!) to a console that's actually worth buying, perhaps?

Not that I know what that would have to be..
  • Halo.Jones 10 years ago

I thought Ninty were not going to discuss games due to the japanese government selling their share of ninty shares?

I am sure they didn't want Miyamoto to say anything that would have any effect on the share price!
  • gingerlink 10 years ago

made up evidence? that's just a contradiction.

I hope something good is announced though, what do you reckon, more or less info than leipzig last year?(read only mario strikers and battalion wars 2)
  • dirigiblebill 10 years ago

Big Ninty GDC announcement- they've stripped the turn-based combat out of Paper Mario and hence become the objects of my hate.
  • yupyup 10 years ago

Anyone else look at that front page picture and think...

\o/ "Hellllllllo NEWWWWW YAWWWWWWWWWK!" \o/
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 10 years ago

Nothing interesting will be said. Japanese Stock Market says so.
  • BartonFink 10 years ago

Man he looks like a loon in that picture.
  • Bertie 10 years ago

... It's Ian Wright, with a football!
  • Santino 10 years ago

i thought they are limited in what they can talk about due to stocks being sold so they arent able to say anything too important.
  • Bertie 10 years ago

Mario MMORPG. Have seen made up evidence.
  • Fl0yd 10 years ago

I'm gonna press F5 all the way through it, JUST TO ANNOY YOU!
  • dirigiblebill 10 years ago

I hear they might actually be working on another Mario game. Shocking.
  • CitizenGeek 10 years ago

SNORE!
  • Bertie 10 years ago

Psst, IE7 and stuff will now work.
  • JediMasterMalik 10 years ago

I want them to show more proper games for the Wii which actually look good. Enough with the mini-games.

18:32 By Robert Purchese

Looks like the keynote could be starting late. There are still a few people filling into the hall. It's all giant screens with the Nintendo logo and high tempo repetitive beats.

18:33 By Robert Purchese

There seem to be a few fanboys around, including one journalist dressed in a Mario hat and dungarees. No moustache though. Shame.

18:35 By Robert Purchese

A man in a suit with a robot head on is standing in front of the stage, bowing and waving to people. Makes a change from Sony's giant footballs yesterday.

18:37 By Robert Purchese

Still no sign of Miyamoto or indeed anyone apart from the audience and a man with a robot head.

18:39 By Robert Purchese

We're being told to turn off all telephones "and all other noise creating devices". Even DSes?

18:43 By Robert Purchese

Oh good, more Daft Punk. No sign of Miyamoto. One of the stewards is wearing a kilt.

18:47 By Robert Purchese

They're still seating people... They're still playing Daft Punk... He's still wearing a kilt...

18:53 By Robert Purchese

They're playing One More Time one more time. Argh.

18:55 By Robert Purchese

We're being asked to "extinguish all noise producing devices" now and take our seats. Everybody's taken their seats, what's the hold up? Is Miyamoto busy finishing a particularly intense game of Wii Tennis?

19:01 By Robert Purchese

It's starting! Jamil Moledina, the boss of GDC, is on the stage. He's talking about culturally dominant art forms and the contribution of Miyamoto.

19:01 By Robert Purchese

Apparently this is giong to be "a very different kind of keynote, a personal experience".

19:02 By Robert Purchese

It's Miyamoto's Mii! We're seeing how it was made. Now he's in the big room with Jamil and Bill. And he's on stage!

19:03 By Robert Purchese

"I'm amazed that it has been eight years since we had the chance to talk. You haven't aged a bit, just like me," Miyamoto is joshing.

19:04 By Robert Purchese

Now a translator is helping out. Miyamoto's waving the Wii remote about. He's going to use the Wii Photo Channel to do his presentation.

19:04 By Robert Purchese

He's showing us a photo of his garden. He's zooming in to look for pikmin...

19:05 By Robert Purchese

He's going to talk about when he first started designing games - he's showing Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, the stereotypical image of gamers.

19:05 By Robert Purchese

Miyamoto is wearing a nice velvet jacket and a Zelda pin badge! He's talking about 1998 and the success of Goldeneye.

19:06 By Robert Purchese

By 2004, Miyamoto says, it was all about GTA and Halo, and reporters always wanted to ask him about the effect games were having on people.

19:07 By Robert Purchese

"They thought that we were changing gamers into some kind of zombies, and this troubled me."

19:08 By Robert Purchese

"Players themselves seemed to only want more of the same kind of game. We as developers felt we had to make these games in order to sell them, so this was a period where Nintendo and myself found ourselves at a crossroads."

19:09 By Robert Purchese

The topic for today is the creative vision - and Nintendo's creative vision. "No matter how clear your own vision it must resonate with your company." Luckily Miyamoto and Nintendo have always matched.

19:09 By Robert Purchese

There are 3 elements to Nintendo's corporate vision. First, the expanded audience. "Maybe you've already heard too much about it by now..."

19:10 By Robert Purchese

Miyamoto's showing the "Wife-O-Meter", which he uses to evaluate how the expanded audience is growing by evaluating "the interest level of my own wife".

19:11 By Robert Purchese

"You may remember Pac-Man and Mario coming out. These were important moments in your life. They were not important for my wife."

19:12 By Robert Purchese

He thought his wife would like Tetris, but she didn't. But then she watched their daughter playing Ocarina - "So then I thought, maybe there is hope." Then came Animal Crossing - "When it came out I assured my wife there were no enemies to fight, so she agreed to actually touch the controller."

19:12 By Robert Purchese

Miyamoto is a dog lover. Wonder what he's going to talk about next...

19:13 By Robert Purchese

Looks like he's showing the new thing on Wii where you can look at poll results - 60 percent of Wii owners like dogs, while 40 are cat people.

19:13 By Robert Purchese

Photos of Miyamoto's dog. "He sleeps on a better mattress than I do." He's called Pick because his face looks like a guitar pick.

19:15 By Robert Purchese

Surprise! He's talking about Nintendogs. "When I showed this to my wife, she finally looked at games differently." But it was Brain Age that turned her into a true gamer - "She's finally begin to understand the unique interactive entertainment found in videogames."

19:16 By Robert Purchese

On Valentine's day, women in Japan give chocolates to men. Miyamoto was late from work, and found his wife still up playing the Wii. "She was casting her votes on the Everybody Votes channel."

19:17 By Robert Purchese

"It would be more normal to find Donkey Kong eating at my dining table" rather than see his wife download something game-related before.

19:18 By Robert Purchese

Miyamoto's wife says she can beat him at Brain Age. Websites around the globe furiously type "WIFE BEATS MIYAMOTO" headline.

19:19 By Robert Purchese

The second element of Nintendo's vision is their devotion to the entertainment business. They don't worry about diversification, so "every employee focuses solely on entertainment."

19:20 By Robert Purchese

Engineers and programmers work in the same building at Nintendo. Apparently this is important so the teams are close.

19:21 By Robert Purchese

He's talking about Nintendo controllers now. "It's a group collaboration." "In creating Wii, this process was more intense than ever. We had different teams trying to reconcile their separate viewpoints."

19:22 By Robert Purchese

One team wanted to do new stuff, the Zelda team wanted to focus on old franchises, the Wii team wanted to focus on the controller.

19:22 By Robert Purchese

He's showing a curvy square Wii controller prototype, a round orange one with a star in the middle, a black remote similar to the Wiimote.

19:24 By Robert Purchese

They wanted to create "the most entertainment for the most users" with the controller. "We felt we were in a long tunnel with no light at the end." Finally they decided to mimic a TV remote.

19:25 By Robert Purchese

He's still going on about the Wii remote. "It can do a lot, can't it." He says it's what he dreamed of for many years.

19:31 By Robert Purchese

A photo of a museum in Kyoto now. Can't possibly spell the name. It's a museum for a game that blends playing cards and ancient Japanese poetry. Again, can't spell it. Nintendo is one of the companies that makes the cards.

[The museum in Kyoto is Shigureden, and the poetry/card game is Uta Karuta - Ed]

19:28 By Robert Purchese

Miyamoto helped design the museum - it's got LCD screens on the floor. As you walk around, you get a modified DS which keeps track of your location in the museum. You can press buttons to change the images on the screens at your feet.

19:28 By Robert Purchese

Hmm... Is he going to announce anything new at all?

19:30 By Robert Purchese

He's still banging on about the museum. It does look very nice, mind you.

19:34 By Robert Purchese

"It wasn't until last E3 when we saw the long lines and happy faces at our booth - that was the moment when we knew this risk was worth taking."

19:37 By Robert Purchese

He's showing us footage of Japanese women playing the DS for the first time. And an old buffer and a little girl. Hm.

19:42 By Robert Purchese

The third element of Nintendo's vision is risk - doing things differently. "We questioned our own definition of what a videogame is." DS, Nintendogs, Brain Age... "GameCube was just a half-step in working towards an expanded audience."

19:44 By Robert Purchese

He's talking about the GC's controller - "In the end I think this controller was still too complicated" for non-gamers. "In all honesty there were concerns even for me" with the Wii, and with its one handed controller. "I found myself acting as an evangelist inside the company. I would tell our producers that you have to think not about what's going to be lost, but gained."

19:45 By Robert Purchese

"Corporations don't make videogames, people do." Is he announcing a Goldie Lookin' Chain game?

19:45 By Robert Purchese

"What I always think about is the core element of fun within the game. To do that I imagine one thing - the face of the player as he or she is experiencing the game, not any individual part of the game itself."

19:46 By Robert Purchese

He's talking about game design and the importance of thinking about the player's experience. "If I think we need to drastically change the spec or delay a game, I'm going to take that step" if he thinks it's important for the player.

19:47 By Robert Purchese

More lifestyle photos of ladies and talk about expanding the audience. Wii Play "seems to be too elementary" for core gamers, but they've found many core gamers like it because "it's a game they can play with their non-gaming friends".

19:48 By Robert Purchese

19:49 By Robert Purchese

"I thought that Zelda could create a different kind of communication." The first NES prototype of Zelda didn't go over well in Japan - "people were confused... They couldn't even solve the puzzles." But rather than make it easier, Miyamoto decided to take the sword away at the beginning.

19:50 By Robert Purchese

"I wanted them to talk with other Zelda players" to solve problems. Back then there weren't chat rooms but players found ways to exchange information.

19:51 By Robert Purchese

Animal Crossing now. It's also enjoyed by hardcore gamers, so Miyamoto learned that what gamers want "isn't always the best graphics or best audio or best production". 7 million copies now sold.

19:51 By Robert Purchese

Developers always complain that there's "not enough" - people, budget, time. "I often go to Mr. Iwata with these same complaints, and unfortunately he responds the way I expect your bosses do - Too Bad."

19:52 By Robert Purchese

Wii Baseball now. Miyamoto's always been a big fan of baseball, but the Wii game is very simple and short - "not very realistic at all".

19:53 By Robert Purchese

They spent their time making the game feel realistic, focusing on pitching and hitting. "We felt we could create a new kind of realism people hadn't experienced before." "At one point during development, we did try using Mario characters" instead of Miis - but people liked the Miis better.

19:55 By Robert Purchese

"Some people at Nintendo say when I have an idea I never let it go." He's showing a toy Nintendo once made that pitched baseballs. He thought it would make a great videogame, but the thing about Wii Baseball is you can choose when you throw a curve ball.

19:58 By Robert Purchese

He's showing an old program for NES for designing and animating faces. It was put on hold but Miyamoto liked it. In the nineties it came BACK.

19:59 By Robert Purchese

Thought everyone would love his GameCube program. He's showing footage of characters dancing. It was frst shown at E3 in 2002.

20:02 By Robert Purchese

Iwata told Miyamoto that a team was working on a face creation game for DS. Miyamoto was frustrated he hadn't managed to do it himself.

20:03 By Robert Purchese

Mii now - and back to the expanded audience. He wanted to make something everyone could use so they made the Mii editor simple.

20:05 By Robert Purchese

Working on a new Mii channel where you can compare Miis and enter contests.

20:07 By Robert Purchese

He's always asked "what happened to Mario 128?" by people. Says most of you have played it in Pikmin.

20:10 By Robert Purchese

20:12 By Robert Purchese

Has a lot of faith in future of games. Wants to reach out to those who fear them. Back to stereotype of gamer, which is already changing.

20:15 By Robert Purchese

Mario Galaxy video. Moustachey zooms round spherical worlds, spins stars, bounces between planets - there's lava level, a plant monster. Applause. Cheers.

20:18 By Robert Purchese

If we can combat my wife we can combat anyone. Standing ovation. The end!