Champions Online Finished

Cryptic Studios' star signing and industry veteran Bill Roper has been answering your questions about Champions Online this afternoon.

You asked him about server stability, launch-day patches, post-release content, whether Harry Potter is a superhero and if Cryptic Studios can really handle both Champions Online and Star Trek Online at the same time.

Thank you very much to Bill Roper to joining us, and thank you for asking him your questions.

The full transcript of the interview follows, with the earliest questions and answers presented first.

Latest comments (36)

• skullstorm 5 years ago

@yarrick

EVE is an exception and probably the only exception to the basic format thus far (probably the only mmo that has actually made an evolutionary leap). Science fiction settings work extremely well with sandbox style games and EVE is a wonderful example of that. It will also probably pave the way for such games in the future. However, I doubt such a system as that in EVE would work very well outside of sci-fi/sandboxes and the current method employed in the majority of mmo's (the mmo format I was reffering to) works fine for those games.

Maybe more games in future should/could be more skill based, but I think developers may be wary of skill based systems as out of the very few skill based mmo's in circulation, most haven't done well.
  • Spekingur 5 years ago

Forums are normally populated by a vocal minority of players. Also, new players, those who did not partake in headstart, wouldn't know how the game played before the patch, would they now?
  • GenuineEntropy 5 years ago

• yarrick 5 years ago

@SkullStorm

'All mmo's are clones of the mmo format'

any chance you could explain how this comment relates to EVE Online?
  • skullstorm 5 years ago

All mmo's are clones of the mmo format, wow itself is a clone of the mmo's that came before it. It just added and improved upon certain aspects of that format, such as a more robust questing system for example, which has become popular enough that it's almost a standard now. Theres hardly anything wow has that is entirely original. Almost everything has been seen and done before, it's just that a few of those things have seen improvements.

Of course it's still choice, mmo's will almost always follow the same format but each have a different theme, story, gameplay etc and whichever one you wish to play is purely personal preference. Just because they all have quests, crafting, raids, instances, pvp instances and so on does not mean they are a clone of wow, after all, those were in games before wow.
  • Rubarack 5 years ago

If you're a skeptic just because of WoW clones you really ought to reevaluate your position now. CO's gameplay mechanics are radically different to WoWs, the crafting system is different and the combat bears no relation to WoW at all. But you might want to leave it a while. I've no problem with the amount of content in CO, even if it is less than a third WoW offered at launch in terms of time (with travel speeds being much quicker that's a little deceptive) because the quality is much higher. The problem is Cryptic are freaking out about people reaching the level cap so quickly, which is why we're seeing a 15% reduction to move speed and yet another 20% reduction in XP.
  • Spekingur 5 years ago

You do realise that WoW is just another clone itself, right? All you see in WoW had already been done before in previous MMOs - such as Asheron's Call, Everquest and DAoC.
  • mkreku 5 years ago

@Spekingur: Yes, my questions weren't all that positive. Bait? You might call it that. I still think it would have been more interesting to see him answer a few negative questions too instead of the Harry Potter ones. To each their own, I guess.

@Jdoki: Thank you! You're mean, but still funnier than the PR guy in the article above :D

@skullstorm: I agree choice is good! But I became a sceptic to MMO's once I realized they're almost all clones of WoW. It's like every developer out there sees the enormous amounts of money Bizzard pulls in and thinks "I want that!" and then they haste out these bad clones, with too little content, too little story, too little thought behind them. Same gameplay mechanics, same crafting systems, same combat, same static worlds, same grinding. Is it really choice if you have the same game disguised in spandex, just with less content and worse underlying systems?

I get it too. You're a fan of this particular game. Still unnecessary to call me a troll since I'm actually interested in the game. Oh well.
  • Hamflank 5 years ago

The character creator seems enough to justify a purchase, but then again, hearing about a lack of content seems quite concerning.

Oh, and I actually did like the Harry Potter question.
  • Lacero 5 years ago

Some builds that were too easy are now a bit more challenging. Some builds that used to be a bit bad are now totally broken.

I surprised they're actually trying to balance a game where you can pick almost any combination of about 100 powers. I thought the idea was to just make lots of characters and charge around indiscriminately killing criminals like all good vigilantes^W superheroes do.
  • Spekingur 5 years ago

Alright, that answers that question. Thank you :D
  • Sar 5 years ago

About 3 weeks after launch on 26/11/04:

atchnote...

Added a new dungeon. And another one 3 months later:

atchnote...

Etc, you get the idea.
  • Spekingur 5 years ago

Good point. They have already announced a free content update. How long after release did the oh-all-mighty-and-precious WoW do that, hmm?
  • skullstorm 5 years ago

And another difference is that wow has been out a few years now and alot of content has been added through patches and expansions. The same will happen for Champions, they've already even announced the first content update.
  • Rack 5 years ago

The difference here is if you get to max level in WoW in 40 hours you won't even have seen a tenth of the content. In CO you'll have played all the content multiple times.
  • Clive_Dunn 5 years ago

"We're dedicated to the long life and continual support of the game."

Hmmm, I remember that from somewhere before. Ah yes, Hellgate.
  • Miths 5 years ago

Anyone else unable to access the CO site - including their official forums - right now? The game launcher is also just hanging for me at "trying to update the launcher".
  • Dizzy 5 years ago

"There are about 40-50 hours of gameplay until you reach max level. It is probably the shortest MMORPG ever done. The lack of content is brutal. "

About the same as WoW and WAR then. People reach max levels in 40h on those.
  • E_Goldstein 5 years ago

This was rather dissapointing. He managed to skirt around every sensible question with the usual PR pap. Is there no dev not under the publishers ball and chain?

To be fair this is a brand new MMO but you'd think this many years into online gaming someone would realise they need more dev time to make the things work.

Poor show Mr Dev.
  • skullstorm 5 years ago

@mkreku

If your asking if the world needs another mmo, why don't you just ask if the world needs another game, another film, another book, another band, another (insert almost anything here) . Choice is a great thing.

I gather your basis for a failed mmo is one that doesn't meet wow's number of subs. MMO's have done well since before wow came along with it's 11 mill subs and will definitely continue to do well for themselves afterwards. There are plenty of them running at moment, both new and old. Only a very small number have actually gone under. Those that are still around are alive and kicking despite the shit you hear all over the internet. Hell, even the most criticised games are doing just fine despite being given ultimatums from rabid hatebois every 6 months. Guess what, they haven't gone under yet! Are you gonna give them yet another six months?

We get that you don't like mmo's. But does the world really need another troll such as yourself?

• Darak2 5 years ago

Scimarad, I've playing the game you will discover as soon as you gain some levels post-XP nerf. I was stuck at level 23, as many other people are, with absolutely no mission open. I've been playing out-of-level content since at least level 18 because there is not enough missions at most mid-range levels to level up just doing the intended level's missions (including open missions & lairs). And we're talking a game with only 5 playable areas (and only 1 of them of decent size). There are about 40-50 hours of gameplay until you reach max level. It is probably the shortest MMORPG ever done. The lack of content is brutal.

And this becomes much, much worse after level 30, believe me.
  • Jdoki 5 years ago

As a subscriber to CO I'll answer your pertinent and interesting questions, mkreku...

17:50:44 PM I once saw Magneto lift New York City by himself in a comic. And I've seen Superman carry an oil tanker out of harms way on his shoulder in another. Are any of your game's superpowers of that scale? Or is it just another stale world (which you can't really interact with) and generic enemies (dressed in spandex to cover this fact up) that you have to grind through using slot based attacks (that you have no real time control over)? Be honest.

INDEED I feel like a superhero. I once assisted, Defender, the greatest Superhero in Millennium City defeat an entire invasion of enemies by... turning on a computer in a control room! You don't get more super heroic than that! I have also developed my index and middle finger to heroic proportions from spamming slot based skills.

17:30:33 PM Are you jealous of Blizzard as they're sitting on their huge mountain of money bags?

Who isn't! But this game isn't about making piles of cash, it's about giving a balanced, fair, interesting, original, innovative experience to the player base. One where every Event runs like clockwork, and they never make knee jerk changes to the game because of a whiny minority

17:15:50 PM Everyone would love to be a super hero! But if everyone is a super hero, no-one is a super hero since that's what's normal in that world. What have you done to address this dilemma and make the "heroes" distinguish themselves?

I feel individual and special and different from everyone because the biggest part of the entire game is the character creator. Also because no one can afford to Retcon/Respec everyone is locked in to the terrible decisions they made in the first 10 levels of the game, making everyone unique... and annoyed.

17:12:11 PM If you were to suddenly turn your MMO into a single player experience, do you think you have a story-line in there strong enough to support such a change? Most MMO's don't. And most MMO's fail. Am I onto something here?

Alien invasions? Hello!

17:10:20 PM One thing that amazes me is that out of all these failed MMO's, they all had roughly the same monthly rate ($15). And they all went under without even trying to lower the rate! Would it not be possible to run a MMO at a monthly rate of, let's say, $5? Of course, for WoW, that would mean they'd only make ONE billion a month..

This game doesn't rely on a monthly subscription, it simply makes offers to the community - let's say, something like a lifetime subscription - Then it suddenly yanks said offer to create hordes of rabid gamers desperate to throw money at something they were never going to buy until they were told they couldn't have it!

17:04:57 PM Does the world in Champions Online stream seamlessly (like in World of Warcraft) or is it composed of zones with loading times between them (as in Conan)?

When graphics are THIS good, streaming is just a dream... A dream fulfilled by better programmers. However, the loading screens are packed with handy hints, and give a nice moments respite from the SUPER HERO action. They don't impact on immersion at all!

17:01:41 PM Does the world really need yet another MMO?

Did the world really need Superman?

• Spekingur 5 years ago

@mkreku: Of course your questions weren't asked, almost every question looked like a bait.

Yes. The world always needs more MMOs. If the world only needed one then there wouldn't be any competition and thus no developement.

CO is compromised of diffirent zones, most of which are pretty damn large. When you port between the zones you get a load screen.

The other questions just seem like a bait.
  • Lebowski 5 years ago

vague, vague, vague on the 360 still :-(
  • mkreku 5 years ago

Well, here's what I asked:

Questions You've Asked

17:01:41 PM Does the world really need yet another MMO?

Not a single one of my questions came through. Apparently it's more important to know what he thinks of Harry Potter.
  • Scimarad 5 years ago

For all the cries that they've screwed up the game with the last patch, as far as I can see it's actually better. It was just too bloody easy to solo pretty much anything. From all the constant whining you'd think most of the players were terrified of a challenge...

I usually take on loads at a time...

Depends on the build. Force, Dual Swords, Darkness still seem ok but my Ice and Electric builds get wasted faster than a student with a pre-paid bar tab.

I've not played as much as I would have liked since the patch though, waiting on a new PSU, so I don't have an accurate view of the current state of all builds.
  • Rack 5 years ago

Scimarad, you're in for a nerf, Bill has repeatedly stated that a single encounter group is the intended base for a challenging encounter. Also since he thinks 8000 is 10% less than 10,000 and 8,200 is more than 10,100 you may find yourself even weaker than that.
  • Jdoki 5 years ago

@Scimarad

Yeah, I'm a puny Gadgeteer, and often take on multiple enemies. It's pretty cool being able to fight a battle and handle any Add's as well. Setting off the Orbital Laser with Anvil upgrade is just fantastic (I sense a nerf coming for it - it's far too... super powered!)

So, 4 questions from Bertie - are you seriously saying that no one asked a better/more important question than that stupid Harry Potter nonsense?

These "live" question sessions are a waste of time imo. Even if there's a good question the answer is usually marketing pap.
  • Scimarad 5 years ago

I'm really not sure where people are getting this bizarre notion that you can't take on more than a couple of enemies. I usually take on loads at a time...
  • Rack 5 years ago

A full encounter group is two villains, the guy hasn't played an MMO since Everquest and still thinks he's ahead of the curve by letting you fight 2 people at once. God only knows how Blizzard ever accomplished anything with him on staff.
  • Scimarad 5 years ago

Why do I get the feeling that Draka2 is one of CO many constant moaners...

Seriously in need of content? What game have YOU been playing?
  • jiveguy 5 years ago

The answer gnomes have been at work.
  • Gl3n 5 years ago

In 2003 I left Blizzard and formed Flagship Studios with several the Blizzard Executives.

???

And now I'm at Cryptic Studios, working on Champions Online!
  • Scimarad 5 years ago

Bill, why is your game so awesome?

16:58 By Robert Purchese

A%
Super Moderating Hero: Good afternoon, super readers! Bill Roper is with us now and we are nearly ready to begin. Keep those questions coming!

16:58 By Robert Purchese

A%
Super Moderating Hero: I feel my title is quite apt for the task at hand.

17:12 By Robert Purchese

A%
Super Moderating Hero: Okay then, Bill Roper, let's begin! Please can you tell us about yourself and how you came to be so famous?

A%
Bill Roper: I started at Blizzard Entertainment in 1994 doing music and voice over work as a contractor. After being hired on full-time in July of 1994, I immediately began work on Warcraft - Orcs and Humans where I created the Warcraft universe, wrote all the missions, did the manual, and so forth.

Over the following years I made my way up the ladder in development, eventually producing and designing on the Warcraft, StarCraft, and Diablo franchises.

I always did voice-over, though - it's a love of mine. And fortunately I was good enough to pass the auditions as we got bigger and bigger.

And now I'm at Cryptic Studios, working on Champions Online!

17:12 By Robert Purchese

Q%Bertie%9946%
What's the atmosphere like at Cryptic right now?

A%
Bill Roper: Exciting! We're really happy to have the game out and have been getting great feedback overall. We're spending some late nights addressing the inevitable first week jitters any MMO sees on launch, but our service has been incredibly stable from a technology standpoint which is a pitfall many games fall into.

17:11 By Robert Purchese

Q%Freki%18208%
What are you doing with regards to server stability? The login server is down again it seems.

A%
Bill Roper: Our downtimes have been very small, and I did see the emails this morning that indicate we had an issue with the Team Server that they're fixing right now. Estimated downtime is 45 minutes as they reset the database and determine if the issue is hardware or software related.

We work to address any issues that crop up as soon as possible and message to the community, but fortunately we haven't had the literally hours on end outages that we had when Diablo or WOW launched. Online games have literally huundreds of moving parts, so we have to stay vigilant and address things when they arise.

17:17 By Robert Purchese

Q%TheBlackBandit%315021%
You must have used the (very excellent) character creator at one point. What did you make?

A%
Bill Roper: TONS of different heroes. It's like a take off on the advertising slogan for crisps - you can't eat just one - you can't make just one. I have seven-foot tall, massive bruiser with Might powers; a Steampunk inventor with Electricity and Gadgeteering; a classic spandex hero with Telekenesis and Force powers; and last night I made a Monkey Robot Pirate character and saved off the costume until I can decide what powers to give him. The costume and powers customisation options are incredible, so for someone like me who loves making an playing alts - it's a dream come true.

17:20 By Robert Purchese

Q%Bertie%9946%
What's the launch process like at Cryptic compared to that of Blizzard and WOW? Have things changed much - does it make you laugh?

A%
Bill Roper: The biggest difference is experience in launching an MMO. City of Heroes was Cryptic's first MMO, so there was a massive learning curve there. Now, the executives and leads on all parts of the game (development, the online service, customer support, community) have done this before and have a good idea of what can happen and how to prepare for it.

Of course, we still can get surprised by the unexpected - but we have a much better idea of what can go wrong and how to respond to it. It's a huge leap from where we all started.

17:26 By Robert Purchese

Q%Darak2%355911%
Why did you drastically change the game rules in a surprise patch during release day with no warning at all?

A%
Bill Roper: The lack of warning was poor messaging on our part and wasn't intentional. This was a case of us still getting all the gears turning together, and we have revamped the patch notes / community messaging process between development and OCR because of it. As for the reasoning behind it - game balance.

Some players found ways to exploit the game during the early start program that we didn't see during beta, and we had to rush to fix it before the launch. We made decisive, global balance changes and it was more the shock of not preparing the community for them more than the actual drastic nature of the changes that upset our players.

Since we've made them, response has been positive in terms of the game experience. Some early start players are asking for a free retcon for their characters, and we'll have some new, hopefully happy-making messaging on that up on our site this morning about that.

17:30 By Robert Purchese

Q%CraigHort%81432%
In City of Heroes you were able to beat 10 minions at once, like a superhero should. And this is something Star Wars: The Old Republic wants to infuse from the getgo. But after the launch day patch I feel weedy, like Superman near Kryptonite, and I struggle to best three baddies of similar power. Is that right? Shouldn't I feel more super?

A%
Bill Roper: Well, I certainly feel more super than having to try and kill one rat at a time with a stick that has a nail in it, so I suppose it depends on your perspective. It also depends on the powers you've chose for your character. With my Might-based character, I regularly take on four-to-six henchmen and feel awesome doing it.

This is also something we're going to continue to look at as we have more and more data. Right now the game feels good for the majority of players as they can take on full encounter groups of villains. And being a superhero is more than just how many people you can beat up at one time.

I know I felt very heroic pulling citizens from beneath rubble or helping save Millennium City from an alien invasion - and that was within the first five levels of the game!

17:34 By Robert Purchese

Q%Oli%50547%
What's your response to players who feel that respecs (retcons) are too expensive at the moment? It's hard to to get power sets right first time. And can we assume from your earlier comment that players nerfed are getting free respecs?

A%
Bill Roper: The game is not designed to let you play a character for a few levels, completely retcon, play another level or two, completely retcon again and so forth. We DO let you try out powers before you lock them into your character in the Powerhouse and retcon those choices for free as much as you want. Cleaning the slate for your level 20 character isn't a trivial expense, and that is by design.

We are continuing to monitor the overall economy numbers, and if we need to adjust pricing of several areas, we will. As for the issue of retcons for our early start characters, I encourage players to keep an eye on our website. I'm not going to pre-announce in front of the OCR team. That's part of us trying to get the gears in sync.

17:36 By Robert Purchese

Q%Bertie%9946%
Is Harry Potter a superhero?

A%
Bill Roper: He certainly could be. Modern fantasy is probably how he would be classified by generalists, but there's no reason you couldn't think of him as a superhero. He even has a Nemesis!

17:43 By Robert Purchese

Q%Darak2%355911%
The game now is in serious need of more content, with most people unable to level up due to the lack of missions at several key levels. Do you plan to add more low and mid-level content in the near future to solve the problem?

A%
Bill Roper: We are aware of a couple of content holes and are already creating new content to fill them. There is a short timeline to get this out to players so they won't have to gain experience just from defeating enemies in the open world. Not all players face this issue, interestingly enough.

Nemesis, for example, fills in those holes for some players, as does doing alternate missions in other areas of the world. As for the experience change, we reduced mission bonus experience by ~10% while increasing the experience for defeating enemies by the same amount to provide another bonus to players that help others on missions and to boost the EXP gained by beating enemies in the open world.

This actually reduces the time you're waiting between missions where we have content gaps, while not altering the amount of total experience you gain while on a mission. Again, our message on this was incomplete to players, but has been addressed moving forward in terms of communication.

17:46 By Robert Purchese

Q%Oli%50547%
How much is there to keep players involved at the endgame? There doesn't seem to be a lot at the moment.

A%
Bill Roper: We have several areas of the game that have endgame content and are set up to be launching pads for more. Missions, Crafting, Nemesis, PvP, and Perks all have content that unlocks and extends past the level cap. And we're already making more that players will see as early as our first free update called Blood Moon which launches in October.

But I am happy with the amount we got in, and especially that these are systems that are extensible and can be built on as well as allowing us to create new areas of endgame play.

17:50 By Robert Purchese

Q%mousestalker%364584%
So, when is the server coming back up?

A%
Bill Roper: Since I'm not actually in the office right now (jumped online from home for the early AM interview), all of my information is coming through work-in-progress emails. It wouldn't be accurate for me to try and give you live-time streaming estimates since they keep changing as they debug the situation.

I am seeing emails from about six different people, so we have a ton of folks on it and it will be as soon as possible.

17:57 By Robert Purchese

Q%SUNDANSS%77427%
Is the 360 game a straightforward port that plays the same, and have you had any issues with producing a console MMO-style game? When's the 360 version out, mate?

A%
Bill Roper: Since we have always been developing with the Xbox 360 in mind, I hesitate to use the word "port" to describe the development. The game plays exceptionally well on a controller (some of our PC players prefer it that way) and the changes we'll be making for the console is mainly in UI and communications.

The gameplay will be extremely similar, if not identical, and we don't anticipate having to make huge changes.

A%
Super Moderating Hero: Can you give us an idea of when to expect the Xbox 360 version? This year?

A%
Bill Roper: I don't have a time estimate on the Xbox 360 version because Atari and Microsoft have not yet finalised business agreements. We are actively working on the game for the console, but delivery time-lines are honestly out of development's hands right now.

18:02 By Robert Purchese

Q%JohnnyFireBlade%50184%
As a lifetime subscriber, I'd like an idea as to what plans Cryptic has for the longevity of Champions. I understand you can't go into specific detail, but I'd like some reassurance that my lifetime sub has good potential! Can you tell us what sort of update cycle you'll fall into?

A%
Bill Roper: Well, we've already announced Blood Moon, our first free update for the game. This will be out near the end of October. We already have plans for more updates during the year, and basically we want players to always know there's something right around the corner that we're working on and that will be out.

We're dedicated to the long life and continual support of the game. The best part of an MMO is that we get to keep growing and altering the game as time goes by, and the tools we have allow us to do some very rapid development. The team is excited at the opportunity to make the game bigger and better as time goes by, so I think players are going to be happy with what we're doing.

18:04 By Robert Purchese

Q%crinkle%58731%
With another major MMO (with a bigger fan base) on the boil, how much extra content is Champions going to get going forward ? Does Cryptic have the resources to balance the two?

A%
Bill Roper: Champions Online and Star Trek Online have completely separate teams. We've grown a great deal over the past year, so we we have plenty of developers for both projects.

18:07 By Robert Purchese

Q%Bertie%9946%
What sort of player influx can you realistically deal with at the moment?

A%
Bill Roper: We've tested our shards up to a very large number of concurrent players, so we can deal with a huge influx of players. Come on in, everyone!

18:09 By Robert Purchese

Q%Dermod%364609%
Is there anything being done to remedy the lack of communication with players by Cryptic in terms of changes being made to the game, server down-times, etc.? Any specifics?

A%
Bill Roper: As I said before, we're working on constantly increasing our communication with the players. As soon as we have answers, we get them out there. The OCR team is now on every major interaction between development and operations so that they can push information out to the players as soon as we have something real to say.

I think the community team has been working incredibly hard to keep players informed - and as with any system, the more we do it, the smoother it will get.

18:14 By Robert Purchese

A%
Super Moderating Hero: What subscriber or active user number represents success? What's the golden milestone for Champions Online? When can you all go home to bed?

A%
Bill Roper: We never get to simply brush our hands off and just be done, regardless of our player base. We have a live game with gamers who want communication and new content, and that doesn't change when you get up to a certain number of subscribers. If we're going to be successful, it's because we don't just call it done.

We know we'll be working hard for hopefully a long time to come - but I do expect more sleep hours once we've gotten past the bumps in the road of launching the game.

A%
Super Moderating Hero: But what's the golden number, Bill Roper? 1 million?

A%
Bill Roper: No game should ever make that a measure of required success. No one would be upset with that many subscribers, but if that's anyone's baseline expectations of what's required to be a successful game, they will be disappointed. Basing expectations off of WOW's numbers is like saying if your albums don't sell like the Beatles, you're a failure.

18:17 By Robert Purchese

A%
Super Moderating Hero: Very quickly (I'm not Columbo I promise) - would you rather have lasers for eyes or be able to turn invisible - in real-life. And why?

A%
Bill Roper: Having lasers for eyes seems incredibly difficult to manage since it sounds like it's an "always on" state. Invisibility has it's inherent dangers (a car can't swerve to miss you since it can't see you) but since it seems like I could turn that on and off. I'll take invisibility.

18:17 By Robert Purchese

A%
Super Moderating Hero: Thanks, Bill Roper!

A%
Bill Roper: My pleasure - thanks for the chance to talk to your readers!