Activision has attempted to pour cold water on speculation erupting from leaked market research papers by claiming it "regularly" tests game concepts, and these are simply "options" they may or may not take.
However, its comments do not deny the existence of such products as Spider-Man titles that use the Wii balance board or a web-shooter peripheral, nor Tony Hawk's games with their very own skateboard controller.
"We regularly test all kinds of game concepts and pricing strategies using market research," Activision told Eurogamer. "All of which are options whose outcomes are yet to be determined."
The Intellisponse papers pointed to a total of 14 Spider-Man games potentially in the works, according to Xbox 360 Fanboy. Concepts ranged from futuristic settings to upgradeable powers, and from stealthy approaches to short but hectic outings.
Activision has previously said it wants to "reinvent" the next version of Tony Hawk's in order to compete with acclaimed newcomer Skate.
The leaked papers talked of a "new motion-sensing board controller" but only listed PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 offerings. Perhaps this is the technology Kotaku noticed Qmotions boasting about in early May.
Names bandied about included Tony Hawk's Amplitude, Tony Hawk's Adrenaline and Tony Hawk's Huck Jam.
The full list of Spider-Man games according to Kotaku:
- Spider-Man: Agile Warrior (Wii) - With balance board controls.
- Spider-Man: Webmaster (Wii) - With web shooter controller and in third-person.
- Spider-Man: Webslinger (360, PS3, Wii) - With "precision aiming" to snipe enemies.
- Spider-Man: Hero Evolved (360, PS3, Wii) - Play as son of Spider-Man in 2064.
- Spider-Man: New Heights (360, PS3, Wii) - Upgrade abilities to go from thug beater to crime-lord killer.
- Spider-Man: Gangs of New York (360, PS3, Wii) - Make factions kill each other.
- Spider-Man: Adaptation (360, PS3, Wii) - Travel around the world.
- Marvel Team Up: Spider-Man Meets the X-Men (360, PS3, Wii) - Co-op against famous faces in famous places.
- Spider-Man: Contest of Champions (360, PS3, Wii) - Fighter for 2 to 4 players with destructable scenery.
- Spider-Man: Mass Evolution (360, PS3, Wii) - Upgrade speed, strength, spider-sense as you go.
- Spider-Man: Chaos (360, PS3, Wii) - Short but hectic.
- Spider-Man: Tactics (360, PS3, Wii) - Stealthy and tactical.
- Spider-Man: Vision (360, PS3, Wii) - In first- and third-person.
- Spider-Man vs. Marvel Zombies (360, PS3, Wii) - Kill zombies with webs.