Like the original, once a week - between Friday and Tuesday - Destiny 2 will be visited by a special vendor named Xur, selling hard-to-come-by gear. He's achieved cult status among the game's community as a result, and is worth paying a visit every week so you don't miss out on his wares.
Every Friday at Xur's new scheduled arrival of 5pm UK time, there are two things you want to know - Xur's location and what Xur is selling this week.
If you have been accumulating Legendary Shards and have no idea where to spend them, Xur is the person to visit.
Come back to this page to learn his new position and Exotic weapons and armour inventory as soon as he appears, and stay around to learn some of the other things he comes in handy for.
Where is Xur's location this week?
Between February 16th to 20th, Xur is located on the EDZ, in the Winding Cove, heading north from where you spawn in.
If you get lost on the way, pop your Ghost and the Xur emblem will appear on screen when you get close.
What is Xur selling this week?
As always there are four Exotics to choose from - one weapon and an armour piece for each of the game's three classes. The items Xur is selling this week are as follows:
- Merciless (Fusion Rifle) - 29 Legendary Shards
- Lucky Pants (Hunter Legs) - 23 Legendary Shards
- ACD/0 Feedback Fence (Titan Gauntlets) - 23 Legendary Shards
- Starfire Protocol (Warlock Chest) - 23 Legendary Shards
The Power level of the Gear scales with your current level, capping out at a maximum of 305 post-Curse of Osiris (or technically, 300 with a +5 mod attached). Thanks to reader richtayls for bringing this to our attention!
Xur is also selling two additional items:
- Fated Engram (for 97 Legendary Shards), giving you an Engram that currently is not in your collection
- Three of Coins (purchased with 31 Legendary Shards, and boosts Exotic drop rates from any source for four hours when consumed, and unlike the first game, has no hidden stacking mechanic or need to apply before every boss or high-value enemy)
What else should you know about what Xur sells and can do?
For those new to Destiny 2 - or returning from the original game and want to know what's different in the sequel - here's a primer on what Xur offers and what makes the vendor useful.
- Xur will sell an Exotic weapon and one armour piece for each of the three classes. Even if you aren't playing that class, you are free to buy any and all items on sale, and then stick them in the Vault for your other characters to use.
- The vendor trades in Legendary Shards and not Strange Coins, as with the original game.
- While Xur appeared in social spaces in the original, it appears the vendor will now show up in planetary patrol spaces instead.
- Traditionally Xur appeared in the game until 10am UK time on Sunday, however the vendor will now stick around until the weekly reset on Tuesday.
- The Exotic weapons and armour Xur sells aren't exclusive to the vendor, instead taking items from the pool of random Exotic drops already available in the game. There's a decent chance he'll have them back in stock in a future week, otherwise you try and get it through luck by decrypting Exotic Engrams.
- Xur will not sell certain Exotics, such as those available as part of Quest lines (including Rat King, Mida Multi-Tool and Legend of Acruis) as well as PlayStation exclusives.
- Each Exotic item is at 270 Power level - or technically 265 Power with a +5 mod attached. This is worth keeping in mind if you are using Exotics as Infusion fodder to level up your gear.
- In the original there were a handful of Quest lines that require you to visit Xur as part of completing them. If that's ever the case in the sequel, game will tell you when, so be sure to pay him a visit next time he's around and pick up the required item to continue.
Looking for more help? Our Destiny 2 DLC Curse of Osiris guide and walkthrough can explain everything with the new expansion, including how to get Lost Prophecy Verses and the Lighthouse secret chest, activate the Mercury Heroic Public Event and get the many new Destiny 2 Exotics. We also dive into the new 330 / 335 max level cap in detail, what to spend Glimmer and Legendary Shards on, how Mods, Infusion, and Engrams work, plus a full walkthrough of the Destiny 2 Leviathan Raid.
- In the original Xur had more than just Exotic weapons and armour to sell. He also had a permanent range of items on display, many of which aren't in the sequel. This included a Plasma Drive and Stealth Drive for 23 Strange Coins each (used to upgrade Rare sparrows to maximum speeds, each with a different vapor trail colour), 3x Heavy Ammo Synthesis for 1 Strange Coin and 10x Heavy Ammo Synthesis for 3 Strange Coins (used to instantly replenish your ammo reserves), one Exotic Shard (7 Strange Coins, used to update the level on Exotics), Glass Needles for 3 Strange Coins and 3 Motes of Light (for re-rolling Exotics), and Three of Coins (an item that would increase your Exotic drop rate). You can also exchange 2 Strange Coins for 1 Mote of Light.
- Xur also used to sell Ornament packs with Exotic Weapons, allowing you to pick up a firearm and several new skins to go with it. Though Ornaments are available, these bundles aren't available in the sequel.
- In case you were wondering, Xur is no longer available in the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game.
- Xur has made a cameo in another little known online game by Activision Blizzard named World of Warcraft, selling Curious Coins, Gjallar's Horn and Krota's Shield items. Sound familiar?